Which one of the two models of AMD Athlon 64 3700+ is best?

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
AMD has two models of the Athlon 64 3700+ CPUs. This link to the AMD site shows the comparison of the two CPUs( AMD Athlon 64 3700+ comparison ). The difference is the stepping and the voltage. What is stepping and which one of these is the best CPU and why? Thanks in advance.

BobA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
AMD has two models of the Athlon 64 3700+ CPUs. This link to the AMD site shows the comparison of the two CPUs( AMD Athlon 64 3700+ comparison ). The difference is the stepping and the voltage. What is stepping and which one of these is the best CPU and why? Thanks in advance.

-------------------------

It might take a lot of searching and reading on the AMD site to get precise answers as to the difference in these two, but in general, a higher stepping number means a later revision to the cpu code. The variable voltage is much tougher to explain. I researched that point a year ago, but I have forgotten the explanation. What I do remember is that it is irrelevant. Bottom line? Go for the higher stepping number, because it is a later revision. I want to point out, however, that whatever was revised in the code may have absolutely no advantage for you compared to the earlier stepping.

-Bob