D-Link DCS-900W WebCam - Ouch!

Okay, in an earlier thread I got lots of help in setting up a
home security type webcam... I have a ZyXel Prestige 334W for my home
router/firewall device (connects, hardwired, with about eight diff.
workstations/servers - however I use a ZyXel switch for that many nodes
as the 334W has only 4 hardnodes.

Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
Fairly easy setup, software works.
Hardwired, the CAMERA is "okay" (scale of 1-10, about a 7) for
connectivity, clarity or sharpness and represenation. Of course one is
limited to "distance" with the cabling.

Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL - if you are buying
this WebCam for any wireless use, I'd double check my options.
I initially set the Router to hide the SSID and enable the MAC Filtering
(the max frame burst was set at default, 650 and I've played with that
all over the board, now at 1800) -

If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
Beyond that, FORGET IT.

So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID
notice a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...

WIRELESS rating is a 3 on the same 1-10 scale. Unless I've got something
inherently wrong with the ZyXEL router (and I have gotten GREAT G band
reads with a laptop - ALTHOUGH this CAM is ONLY a B BAND camera!?), the
D-Link DCS-900Wireless is NOT a good choice in my opinion for wireless
connections and viewing. LOOK ELSEWHERE.
--
Rich "Doc" Colley

mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
7 answers Last reply
More about link 900w webcam ouch

    "Doc" wrote;

    > Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
    > Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL
    > If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
    > frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
    > Beyond that, FORGET IT.
    >
    > So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID
    > notice a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
    > sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
    > AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
    > or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
    > frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...

    fwiw
    DCS-900 here running High compression, Auto, 320/240 typically is
    slightly over 20 fps and around 1.5mbit/s
    DCS-1000w here has pretty much exactly the same performance regardless of
    10' or 60' wireless with ssid/128wep/mac or wired. DCS-1000w is basically
    the same hardware as dcs-900.

    bumtracks typed this:
    > "Doc" wrote;
    >
    >>Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
    >>Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL
    >>If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
    >>frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
    >>Beyond that, FORGET IT.
    >>
    >>So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID
    >>notice a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
    >>sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
    >>AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
    >>or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
    >>frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...
    >

    > fwiw
    > DCS-900 here running High compression, Auto, 320/240 typically is
    > slightly over 20 fps and around 1.5mbit/s
    > DCS-1000w here has pretty much exactly the same performance regardless of
    > 10' or 60' wireless with ssid/128wep/mac or wired. DCS-1000w is basically
    > the same hardware as dcs-900.

    Hey Bum,
    What is the A/p?
    Mine is, as mentioned, the ZyXel Prestige 334W.
    60' ! Wow.. I am trying to run 17' and the signal is terrible.
    I did turn off the Mac filtering, the hide SSID (which I 'had' been
    using for some sense of security) and did (as you did) use the 128wep.
    It the 1000 a G band Wi-Fi or just B?
    I *am* at 640/480 - so could try 320/240 - but even wired (set to auto
    most of the time) I'm only getting about 7 or 8 FPS - is it my resolution???

    Wish mine was better - thoughts on why?
    Right now, was 6' from camera, target can be see thru the windows
    to the CAM - windows are dual pane, maybe that is it???

    Thanks.

    "Doc" <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Okay, in an earlier thread I got lots of help in setting up a
    > home security type webcam... I have a ZyXel Prestige 334W for my home
    > router/firewall device (connects, hardwired, with about eight diff.
    > workstations/servers - however I use a ZyXel switch for that many nodes
    > as the 334W has only 4 hardnodes.
    >
    > Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
    > Fairly easy setup, software works.
    > Hardwired, the CAMERA is "okay" (scale of 1-10, about a 7) for
    > connectivity, clarity or sharpness and represenation. Of course one is
    > limited to "distance" with the cabling.
    >
    > Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL - if you are buying this
    > WebCam for any wireless use, I'd double check my options.
    > I initially set the Router to hide the SSID and enable the MAC Filtering
    > (the max frame burst was set at default, 650 and I've played with that all
    > over the board, now at 1800) -
    >
    > If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
    > frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
    > Beyond that, FORGET IT.
    >
    > So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID notice
    > a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
    > sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
    > AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
    > or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
    > frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...
    >
    > WIRELESS rating is a 3 on the same 1-10 scale. Unless I've got something
    > inherently wrong with the ZyXEL router (and I have gotten GREAT G band
    > reads with a laptop - ALTHOUGH this CAM is ONLY a B BAND camera!?), the
    > D-Link DCS-900Wireless is NOT a good choice in my opinion for wireless
    > connections and viewing. LOOK ELSEWHERE.

    Thank you Rich for the info,

    I've got a friend who is also looking for a Wireless (WiFi!) webcam, and the
    DCS-900 was one of the cams he was looking at.
    I'll forward him your test report.

    It's to bad that you had to buy one to see how good/bad it's performing.

    Noël

    --
    http://webcam.kijk.info
    http://www.resize2mail.com

    "Doc" <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > bumtracks typed this:
    > > "Doc" wrote;
    > >
    > >>Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
    > >>Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL
    > >>If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
    > >>frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
    > >>Beyond that, FORGET IT.
    > >>
    > >>So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID
    > >>notice a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
    > >>sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
    > >>AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
    > >>or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
    > >>frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...
    > >

    > > fwiw
    > > DCS-900 here running High compression, Auto, 320/240 typically is
    > > slightly over 20 fps and around 1.5mbit/s
    > > DCS-1000w here has pretty much exactly the same performance regardless
    of
    > > 10' or 60' wireless with ssid/128wep/mac or wired. DCS-1000w is
    basically
    > > the same hardware as dcs-900.
    >

    > Hey Bum,
    > What is the A/p?
    > Mine is, as mentioned, the ZyXel Prestige 334W.
    > 60' ! Wow.. I am trying to run 17' and the signal is terrible.
    > I did turn off the Mac filtering, the hide SSID (which I 'had' been
    > using for some sense of security) and did (as you did) use the 128wep.
    > It the 1000 a G band Wi-Fi or just B?
    > I *am* at 640/480 - so could try 320/240 - but even wired (set to auto
    > most of the time) I'm only getting about 7 or 8 FPS - is it my
    resolution???

    > Wish mine was better - thoughts on why?
    > Right now, was 6' from camera, target can be see thru the windows
    > to the CAM - windows are dual pane, maybe that is it???
    >
    > Thanks.
    Home use is di624a dlink as router and also a wired extension,
    np25g-usb compex\router(nice) configured as an AP/switch/usb server.
    Both are PrismGT/Nitro based wifi.

    dcs 1000w is .11B
    dlinks newer ccd/mpeg dcs cams are G wifi with two way sound! I want one ;)
    but have too many cams now that are used barely enough to justify another.

    One window/antenna I experimented with ,, dangling the antenna dead center
    of the alum framed glass works like its not even there but any offset of
    more than a couple of inches from center, which is putting it nearer the
    alum frame would drop signal significantly. That window pane, awning
    window glass area is about 30 x 18 inches.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    bumtracks typed this:

    > "Doc" <pc-dc-doc@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>bumtracks typed this:
    >>
    >>>"Doc" wrote;

    >>>fwiw
    >>>DCS-900 here running High compression, Auto, 320/240 typically is
    >>>slightly over 20 fps and around 1.5mbit/s
    >>>DCS-1000w here has pretty much exactly the same performance regardless
    >
    > of
    >
    >>>10' or 60' wireless with ssid/128wep/mac or wired. DCS-1000w is
    >
    > basically
    >
    >>>the same hardware as dcs-900.
    >>

    >>Hey Bum,
    >>What is the A/p?
    >>Mine is, as mentioned, the ZyXel Prestige 334W.
    >>60' ! Wow.. I am trying to run 17' and the signal is terrible.
    >>I did turn off the Mac filtering, the hide SSID (which I 'had' been
    >>using for some sense of security) and did (as you did) use the 128wep.
    >>It the 1000 a G band Wi-Fi or just B?
    >>I *am* at 640/480 - so could try 320/240 - but even wired (set to auto
    >>most of the time) I'm only getting about 7 or 8 FPS - is it my
    >
    > resolution???
    >
    >>Wish mine was better - thoughts on why?
    >>Right now, was 6' from camera, target can be see thru the windows
    >>to the CAM - windows are dual pane, maybe that is it???
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >
    > Home use is di624a dlink as router and also a wired extension,
    > np25g-usb compex\router(nice) configured as an AP/switch/usb server.
    > Both are PrismGT/Nitro based wifi.
    >
    > dcs 1000w is .11B
    > dlinks newer ccd/mpeg dcs cams are G wifi with two way sound! I want one ;)
    > but have too many cams now that are used barely enough to justify another.
    >
    > One window/antenna I experimented with ,, dangling the antenna dead center
    > of the alum framed glass works like its not even there but any offset of
    > more than a couple of inches from center, which is putting it nearer the
    > alum frame would drop signal significantly. That window pane, awning
    > window glass area is about 30 x 18 inches.

    Does the 'nitro' setting effect a B band device.. thougth that only
    improved the G band devices.
    My window is vinyl. Really strange that I'd not get much of a signal
    even ten feet away. Been trying to indict the ZyXel Router/Firewall/AP
    but most say it is a good device.
    Thinking of Going G band Cam... looking at Atlas... can make this wired
    for office view only (even then I am only getting 8 fps MAX, that is
    bad! Not sure if the CAM is bad or what, but wired I should be able to
    get more don't you think???) -

    Axis has some good stuff. I need to get something that will work 20'
    away and outdoors... maybe that is not a possibility. Thanks for the
    help.

    --
    Rich "Doc" Colley

    mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:11:09 -0700, Doc <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >Okay, in an earlier thread I got lots of help in setting up a
    >home security type webcam... I have a ZyXel Prestige 334W for my home
    >router/firewall device (connects, hardwired, with about eight diff.
    >workstations/servers - however I use a ZyXel switch for that many nodes
    >as the 334W has only 4 hardnodes.
    >
    >Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
    >Fairly easy setup, software works.
    >Hardwired, the CAMERA is "okay" (scale of 1-10, about a 7) for
    >connectivity, clarity or sharpness and represenation. Of course one is
    >limited to "distance" with the cabling.
    >
    >Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL - if you are buying
    >this WebCam for any wireless use, I'd double check my options.
    >I initially set the Router to hide the SSID and enable the MAC Filtering
    >(the max frame burst was set at default, 650 and I've played with that
    >all over the board, now at 1800) -

    I have no problem with mine (two cams) at 50'+ 640x480.

    However - I put in an access point just for the cams on a different
    channel (only 1, 6 and 11 are clear channels). Originally this was just to
    separate B from G equipment and not downgrade my G gear. Perhaps, these
    cams don't handle interruptions from other gear on the same channel well.

    gerry

    >If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
    >frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
    >Beyond that, FORGET IT.
    >
    >So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID
    >notice a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
    >sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
    >AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
    >or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
    >frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...
    >
    >WIRELESS rating is a 3 on the same 1-10 scale. Unless I've got something
    >inherently wrong with the ZyXEL router (and I have gotten GREAT G band
    >reads with a laptop - ALTHOUGH this CAM is ONLY a B BAND camera!?), the
    >D-Link DCS-900Wireless is NOT a good choice in my opinion for wireless
    >connections and viewing. LOOK ELSEWHERE.

    --

    Personal home page - http://gogood.com

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    gerry typed this:

    > [original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth]
    > On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:11:09 -0700, Doc <pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Okay, in an earlier thread I got lots of help in setting up a
    >>home security type webcam... I have a ZyXel Prestige 334W for my home
    >>router/firewall device (connects, hardwired, with about eight diff.
    >>workstations/servers - however I use a ZyXel switch for that many nodes
    >>as the 334W has only 4 hardnodes.
    >>
    >>Bought a D-Link DCS-900 Wireless Internet Camera.
    >>Fairly easy setup, software works.
    >>Hardwired, the CAMERA is "okay" (scale of 1-10, about a 7) for
    >>connectivity, clarity or sharpness and represenation. Of course one is
    >>limited to "distance" with the cabling.
    >>
    >>Wireless? 'Nother whole story and NOT GOOD AT ALL - if you are buying
    >>this WebCam for any wireless use, I'd double check my options.
    >>I initially set the Router to hide the SSID and enable the MAC Filtering
    >>(the max frame burst was set at default, 650 and I've played with that
    >>all over the board, now at 1800) -
    >

    > I have no problem with mine (two cams) at 50'+ 640x480.
    >
    > However - I put in an access point just for the cams on a different
    > channel (only 1, 6 and 11 are clear channels). Originally this was just to
    > separate B from G equipment and not downgrade my G gear. Perhaps, these
    > cams don't handle interruptions from other gear on the same channel well.
    >
    > gerry
    >
    >>If I placed the cam over 10' away, no obstacles except one window, my
    >>frame rate was less than 0.5 fps and connectivity was iffy...
    >>Beyond that, FORGET IT.
    >>
    >>So I DID un-hide the SSID, did TURN off the MAC filtering and I DID
    >>notice a SLIGHT improvement in FRAMES rates per sec to about 1 or
    >>sometimes 1.2 (vs about 7.0 fps with hardwire - FRAME rate is set to
    >>AUTO in the CAM setup - made no difference if I set it to 20 or 10
    >>or AUTO...) - connectivity, that is getting ONTO the cam no matter the
    >>frame rate, did improve so that I COULD always connect...
    >>
    >>WIRELESS rating is a 3 on the same 1-10 scale. Unless I've got something
    >>inherently wrong with the ZyXEL router (and I have gotten GREAT G band
    >>reads with a laptop - ALTHOUGH this CAM is ONLY a B BAND camera!?), the
    >>D-Link DCS-900Wireless is NOT a good choice in my opinion for wireless
    >>connections and viewing. LOOK ELSEWHERE.

    Thanks GERRY, I'm still working on it. Don't know why the framerate is
    so slow... gotta figure that is why I'm having a connection problem (i
    mean, whatever is causing the slowness overall)... many thanks.

    --
    Rich "Doc" Colley

    mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net

Webcams D-Link Peripherals