Secure .wma files

March 10, 2005 10:14:14 PM

How can i transfer and listen to licensed .wma files on my 2003 PPC?

--
Jonathan
Mobile +44 (0) 7966 507348

More about : secure wma files

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:14:15 PM

"JP" <jp@jonparsons.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 0q6ai$vga$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> How can i transfer and listen to licensed .wma files on my 2003 PPC?

Easiest? With WMP 9 or 10 on the PC and WMP 9 or 10 on the device. When
you move the songs over to the device, use Media player to do it, NOT
explorer. Otherwise you will not get the license information required for
the playback.

Also note that with MP9 on the device it woud occasionally lose the license,
forcing me to recopy it. However, with MP10, despite having a lot of
"features" I do not love, the license portion has not been an issue. In 9's
defense, though, I was storing the music on an SD card.

Good Luck
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:14:15 PM

Jonathan,

You need to use the copy feature of WMP 9/10 on your desktop to move them to
your PPC. This will copy the appropriate license file that is needed for
you to listen to the music.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"JP" <jp@jonparsons.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 0q6ai$vga$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
> How can i transfer and listen to licensed .wma files on my 2003 PPC?
>
> --
> Jonathan
> Mobile +44 (0) 7966 507348
> Home +44 (0) 1404 823955
> Fax +44 (0) 870 1390563

March 10, 2005 10:14:15 PM

as mentioned you can use WMP to copy the files to your device and they
should play. however that only works if transferring the files to the
device and not a memory card (thus, depending on your device and the amount
of internal storage, you can not carry much music.) the way around all this
is burn the wma files to a music CD. then re-rip them using your favorite
music program, but rip them WITHOUT copy protection. then you are free to
move them to whatever device you want.

Moral dilemma as to whether this is ethical or not is up to you.

"JP" <jp@jonparsons.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 0q6ai$vga$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...
| How can i transfer and listen to licensed .wma files on my 2003 PPC?
|
| --
| Jonathan
| Mobile +44 (0) 7966 507348
| Home +44 (0) 1404 823955
| Fax +44 (0) 870 1390563

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:14:16 PM

curious about this but, because I have no "protected content" to
experiment with, a question;

In my experiments with wmp, I noticed that memory cards are treated as
devices the same as ppc's. If you use wmp to populate the card, does
the license info get transferred as well?

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:32:44 PM

I take it your .wma files are on your PC...you can either plug in your SD
or CF card into a card reader and copy them directly onto it (preferably
in a folder, eg. album name)using drag and drop in My Computer, or via
active sync....located the files you want to copy...ctrl. C...then oen my
mobile device...click through to the directory you want to store them in on
your PPC and paste (ctrl. V)..Wndows media player on your PPC will play the
files fine...better than MP3s

hope that helps

ian

March 10, 2005 10:58:23 PM

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o lmUZhcJFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> as mentioned you can use WMP to copy the files to your device and they
> should play. however that only works if transferring the files to the
> device and not a memory card (thus, depending on your device and the
> amount
> of internal storage, you can not carry much music.) the way around all
> this
> is burn the wma files to a music CD. then re-rip them using your favorite
> music program, but rip them WITHOUT copy protection. then you are free
> move them to whatever device you want.
>
> Moral dilemma as to whether this is ethical or not is up to you.

FWIW, with WMP10 on the device moving them directly to the memory card via
WMP on the PC does indeed copy the required license data. To be sure I just
double checked, and it played just fine.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 10:58:24 PM

>> Copy to card reader using wmp <<
>> To be sure I just double checked, and it played just fine. <<

Thanks for the confirmation... had assumed this from my tinkering.

The generated file is WMPInfo.xml (on the card root, but hidden) and can
be opened with a text editor.

Again, an assumption, but would expect that the "device id" is tied to
some id the card itself has such as a card serial number.

Also, from what little I know about the drm approach, assume that each
one of these probably "uses up" a device license, so, you may find that
after loading a few different memory cards, wmp may stop assigning new
licenses.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:34:37 AM

Just a thought - on the moral issue.

If I've already purchased the music, can't I burn to my
cd, and re-rip them in the format I want, for my own
personal use? As long as I am not distributing these
copies, and only using them myself, I don't see the
problem.

Thoughts or comments?

-->xfiler
For those who believe, no answer is necessary.
For those who do not, no answer will suffice.

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:54:11 PM

"xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just a thought - on the moral issue.
>
> If I've already purchased the music, can't I burn to my
> cd, and re-rip them in the format I want, for my own
> personal use? As long as I am not distributing these
> copies, and only using them myself, I don't see the
> problem.

The trouble with burning to CD and then re-ripping is the loss of quality
due to encoding an already lossy source.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

March 11, 2005 9:54:12 PM

Agreed - I was just wondering about the legal - moral
implications that KDE had commmented about.

-->xfiler

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:54:13 PM

Think your description of what you plan to do with music you purchased
for your own listening falls under the legal "fair use" definition as
well as meeting the ethical requirements the copyright laws were
originally designed to enforce.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 12:58:40 PM

KDE,

I can move files directly to the memory card via WMP9 that is protected and
have no problems.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch