Rumor: Microsoft Revealing Xbox Infinity (720) in April

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Xbox Infinity 720- I bet Comcast will have something to say about that name. Plus with hardware already outdated much like the coming so far non-existent PS4 when even compared to current gen PC hardware.

cercuitspark

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Xbox Infinity 720- I bet Comcast will have something to say about that name. Plus with hardware already outdated much like the coming so far non-existent PS4 when even compared to current gen PC hardware.[/citation]

The processor the PS4 is based on isn't even out yet, and you're calling it outdated?

And adding the optimization you can get from programming for a spesific set of components, you will get much more graphically advanced games for the next gen console than for the PC in it's current from.

- A PC enthusiast and PC gamer.

downhill911

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I pray that Xbox infinity will be on par with PS4 or better, then all those new games are going to look epic and PC ones even better.
So far, I am really impressed with killzone, although it was only 720p but you could see textures where much better.
Really hope Microsoft will try to out-performance PS4, but I somehow doubt that.

schwiing

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Outdated as in, the hardware is already at least one generation back (and will be most likely on the new XBOX) when compared to PC hardware.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]cercuitspark[/nom]The processor the PS4 is based on isn't even out yet, and you're calling it outdated?And adding the optimization you can get from programming for a spesific set of components, you will get much more graphically advanced games for the next gen console than for the PC in it's current from.- A PC enthusiast and PC gamer.[/citation]

'It usually takes them a few years to squeeze all of the potential out of a new hardware platform. The new generation of consoles may finally bring some software that can push modern PCs, but I'm not so sure PS4 or the new Xbox will take a 3-way SLI setup. Remember, some computer gamers are playing at 3 times the resolution of your 1080p TV today. With things like Occulus Rift on the horizon, I'm not sure consoles will ever catch again at this point.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I'd just like to point out the obvious benefits for us pc gamers considering both the PS4 and Xbox 720 will be both using x86 hardware.
Previous generations of consoles were mostly single core, by going with a higher number of slower x86 cores, games are going to be programmed with multithreading in mind. Yup, that's right, these 4-8 core cpus running insane speeds we are currently packing (that barely do crap for us atm) are REALLY going to start getting a workout.
Since its x86 hardware, its going to be easier to cross code for systems, big benefit? We get more high end games taking advantage of our high end hardware, software development costs decrease for cross platform development, and anyone with a pc, a bit of skill and a dream can make the next big game.
I'd imagine it should also make multiplayer environments easier to code so pc gamers, Xbox gamers and PS4 gamers can all play together nicely on the same servers while not being not so nice to one another.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]downhill911[/nom]I pray that Xbox infinity will be on par with PS4 or better, then all those new games are going to look epic and PC ones even better.So far, I am really impressed with killzone, although it was only 720p but you could see textures where much better.Really hope Microsoft will try to out-performance PS4, but I somehow doubt that.[/citation]

I'm hoping they finally make X-Box Live Gold free. Honestly, after 6 years I'm finding it hard to justify paying Microsoft the XBL fee (recently raised) for the little I'm actually using from their services. Doesn't help when a lot of games still rely on the P2P model so you can't even say it's for dedicated servers. Given XBL really has no competition from Sony (yet) it's hard to really bitch about it. I just hope the rumors about it going free are true because from what Sony's PS4 is trying to accomplish it could further make the X-Box 720 a hard sale in an economy where you want the best experience but every penny counts.

I'll probably be locked in to Microsoft for Gears of War anyways. Damn those console specific titles to hell.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
MS better not F up again like Win8. I don't have a lot of confidence at this point to be honest. Everything I've so far has been depressing about the xBox.

gamer1970

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Let's start with the obvious -
PC Gamers (Which I am as well) - Very snobby about their/our systems and how much superior they are to the consoles.
Console Gamers (Which I also am as well) - Are notorious for being flaming fanboys for their chosen system and think PC gaming is dead.

The reality - Both are partially right in some ways; The PC is, overall, superior to any consoles, BUT, they keep getting more powerful and the end result of what they can do IS very close to what a PC can do. . . minus the few extra frames per second or shaders they produce. Yes, I know, the TV's are limited to a max of 1920x1020. My setup is running a cool 5720x1080 and I can use my computer for more than just games. The main stay that any console has always, and will always have, is price. The new PS4 will most likely run close to $500-600 and will be close to the price point of the newly announced Titan Cards by Nvidia. You're getting an entirely compact, powerful gaming machine with new social and cloud features for much less than a comparable computer. As a true gamer - someone who loves all systems and all types of games, I can embrace the consoles and the PC. Why limit yourself to JUST a PC? I think people just need to get out of this - PC's are for adults and geeks and Consoles are for kids or tweenie year olds mentality. Games are good on both sides of the playing field. It just depends on what you feel like playing. The consoles have amazing games coming out on them, as do the PC. If anything, I think they way games are distributed in the future will determine how systems will be made or used in the future. With such things as Steam and even Orion, U-Play, you can get great hits through the internet. Sony is going to experiment with cloud based gaming delivery; you can bet Microsoft will do the same. I say, stop the bickering and just enjoy the games. THAT'S what will make or break ANY system. . .

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]I'm hoping they finally make X-Box Live Gold free. Honestly, after 6 years I'm finding it hard to justify paying Microsoft the XBL fee (recently raised) for the little I'm actually using from their services. Doesn't help when a lot of games still rely on the P2P model so you can't even say it's for dedicated servers. Given XBL really has no competition from Sony (yet) it's hard to really bitch about it. I just hope the rumors about it going free are true because from what Sony's PS4 is trying to accomplish it could further make the X-Box 720 a hard sale in an economy where you want the best experience but every penny counts.I'll probably be locked in to Microsoft for Gears of War anyways. Damn those console specific titles to hell.[/citation]

I get the feeling that they'll add online play to silver. I heard one rumor that it'll be free, but ad supported, so there will be lots of ads on the UI for silver accounts. If not, they'd better be adding some more incentives to gold.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]I get the feeling that they'll add online play to silver. I heard one rumor that it'll be free, but ad supported, so there will be lots of ads on the UI for silver accounts. If not, they'd better be adding some more incentives to gold.[/citation]

From a corporate standpoint they'd almost certainly have to add some incentives to Gold, especially if they shift online play to silver, because otherwise the Gold community will quickly shrivel up. The vast majority of people who put up with XBL Gold do it because of the online play. I imagine most will tolerate extra ads if they could get that free. Really you're paying twice for a lot of stuff through XBL Gold. As it is even the YouTube player is only available on Gold. Why? Last I checked YouTube was a free site on my PC.

[citation][nom]p05esto[/nom]MS better not F up again like Win8. I don't have a lot of confidence at this point to be honest. Everything I've so far has been depressing about the xBox.[/citation]
I think MS is going to make the xbox a selling point for win8. From the rumors I am hearing right now we are looking at the NextBox as being an x86 console with win8 as the OS... plus they are overhauling xbox for WP and xbox for win8... Plus Windows Blue will work towards unifying the windows interface/expierence and programs (like Music/People/etc) across platforms (as well as other changes)... so connecting the dots makes one think that the NextBox will simply be the 'surface PC' and any win8 PC which has a decent WEI and an xbox controller (and pay the Live GOLD subscription fee) will be able to install xbox games and play across devices.
That would give MS an instant install base for game sales, attract developers who only need to make one version of their game for the xbox/PC community, and work towards decoupling gaming hardware from the software which could open the way for a quicker console upgrade path without the worry about much in the way of platform fragmentation. To make the console worth purchasing (as it would not be upgradeable) you simply guarantee that all xbox games will have a minimum playable setting for that box for the next ~5 years or so, and (like Steam) games will follow the user instead of the hardware, so upgrading to the next console will not mean that you need to repurchase your whole game library (granted you cannot sell it either... still not sure how I fell about that).
Anywho, I may be way off base, but looking at everything MS is doing these days towards unifying product lines and creating consistant user expierences, I really think that this is the general direction they are headed.
It would also make a TON more sense why Steam would be so extremely against Windows 8. I did not understand all of the fuss as Steam works perfectly fine on Win8, and the Windows Store does not exactly have anything that could/would compete with Steam... but if Steam knew something like this was coming, then it would make perfect sense for them to panic and create their own Steam Box console/OS system to compete.

theLiminator

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Actually, at the time of it's announcement, the PS3 was much more powerful than any standard PC that was available to consumers at that time. But the PS4 doesn't seem to be that powerful already.

[citation][nom]theLiminator[/nom]Actually, at the time of it's announcement, the PS3 was much more powerful than any standard PC that was available to consumers at that time. But the PS4 doesn't seem to be that powerful already.[/citation]

PC hardware of the time was also using much less power than high-end PC hardware today. PC hardware power consumption limits have gone far up whereas consoles have had to go down. It's ridiculous for anyone to expect performance differences to not follow those lines.

Also, the PS4's graphics performance are supposedly comparable to something like a Radeon 7850. With their great optimization, it's possible that nothing far short of two Radeon 7950s or two GTX 670s will be able to give a better graphics quality experience. You won't get better performance within a console's price range, that much is almost certain.

Arls

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
[citation][nom]gamer1970[/nom] I say, stop the bickering and just enjoy the games. THAT'S what will make or break ANY system. . .[/citation]

Your right, the power of the hardware is irrelevant, its all about the games.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]tokencode[/nom]'It usually takes them a few years to squeeze all of the potential out of a new hardware platform. The new generation of consoles may finally bring some software that can push modern PCs, but I'm not so sure PS4 or the new Xbox will take a 3-way SLI setup. Remember, some computer gamers are playing at 3 times the resolution of your 1080p TV today. With things like Occulus Rift on the horizon, I'm not sure consoles will ever catch again at this point.[/citation]

Irrelevant. The average consumer isn't willing to drop over $1k to play games no matter what the quality is. Enthusiast PC gamers make up such a small fraction of the consumer base you might as well not exist to them. Reality bites.

MS has hinted it's going to take an approach closer to Nintendo than PS this time around, so I'd say ps4 will have the best hardware. This is likely why they're holding back until April letting Sony parade itself around for awhile. MS is in the most advantageous position right now, they know what Nintendo can do and what Sony is promising it can do. They've got a couple months to figure out how to make theirs sound better.

I do however think MS might have something to show come April. A lot of people are saying Sony is being coy with the PS4, I don't really think they have anything to show right now. They were originally planning PS4 for 2014, but it would be a bad idea to let the competition get such a head start on them. They were forced to get it together for Holiday 2013. I'm predicting even more than the usual Sony launch failure by the end of this year.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You have more thumb downs than any other individual on here..good job. Do you ever get tired of sounding stupid on here?[/citation]

Wait for "master Chen" to comment lol

ismaeljrp

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]PC hardware of the time was also using much less power than high-end PC hardware today. PC hardware power consumption limits have gone far up whereas consoles have had to go down. It's ridiculous for anyone to expect performance differences to not follow those lines.Also, the PS4's graphics performance are supposedly comparable to something like a Radeon 7850. With their great optimization, it's possible that nothing far short of two Radeon 7950s or two GTX 670s will be able to give a better graphics quality experience. You won't get better performance within a console's price range, that much is almost certain.[/citation]

No way, power draw if anything, is about the same in the high end with few exceptions. But below high end, it is way better than back in 05/06, especially the efficiency.

An Ivy bridge and 7950 level machine runs perfect on a 500 w machine, PSU's are leaps and bounds better than back in those days as well. PSU vendors have really messed with peoples heads and seem to have convinced them we need these Uber PSU's at all times...

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]ismaeljrp[/nom]No way, power draw if anything, is about the same in the high end with few exceptions. But below high end, it is way better than back in 05/06, especially the efficiency.An Ivy bridge and 7950 level machine runs perfect on a 500 w machine, PSU's are leaps and bounds better than back in those days as well. PSU vendors have really messed with peoples heads and seem to have convinced them we need these Uber PSU's at all times...[/citation]
I would not at all say the high end is the same. I remember back in 2005 you had quite the machine if you had a whopping TWO Nvidia 6800GTs in your system and each card only used the power available from the PCIe slot and a SINGLE 6-pin PCIe power connector per card. For the GPUs alone this totals to 300W maximum theoretical power draw from both cards (75W x 2 from the PCIe slot + 75W x 2 from the PCIe 6-pin power connectors). This compared to a single Radeon HD 7970's TDP of 250W (300W theoretical maximum) and it's obvious to tell that we have significantly higher power draw per card. As for CPUs, they have also become more efficient, however, when you look at the possible TDP for some current-gen high end processors out right now they still are hitting 125W of power (piledriver).

Even though our computers have become more efficient, with that efficiency we're able to draw and use more power as well thus making it easy to build a system that can draw 625W of power (peak) from only using a single processor @ 125W and two graphics cards @ 250W; power draw is even higher if you start talking about tri or quad-sli/crossfire.

As for PSU vendors having "really messed with peoples heads" that only applies to ultra low end PSU manufacturers and is really more the fault of ignorant consumers and best-buy level salesmen.

[citation][nom]ismaeljrp[/nom]No way, power draw if anything, is about the same in the high end with few exceptions. But below high end, it is way better than back in 05/06, especially the efficiency.An Ivy bridge and 7950 level machine runs perfect on a 500 w machine, PSU's are leaps and bounds better than back in those days as well. PSU vendors have really messed with peoples heads and seem to have convinced them we need these Uber PSU's at all times...[/citation]

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090618/graphics-cards-thermal-design-power-tdp-database/

Now I know the difference between TDP and power consumption, but this gives a general guideline. When the Radeon 1900XT and the 7950GX2 have TDPs comparable to lower mid-ranged cards of today and they were among the top end cards of their time around the launch of the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles, we've clearly gone up greatly in power consumption since those days for gaming systems. Whether or not our CPUs (for Intel users) have gone down a little is made irrelevant by how greatly our graphics have gone up in power consumption.

Power efficiency has absolutely nothing to do with what I said, so IDK why you brought it up.

PSUs being better or worse than what they were also has nothing to do with what I said, so again, IDK why you brought them up. No one has me convinced that I need anymore than I need for PSUs.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have been gaming since the Atari 2600. It is all about the games, not hardware. A long time ago I decided not to split my time between PC's and consoles. I could not justify having multiple machines and software libraries just for gaming when a PC can game and do so much more. I welcome the next gen consoles because the ports will be better. I think there will be many more systems like idTECH 5 where devs can program once and automatically publish to all the major systems. There have been plenty of titles for consoles that I wish I could play on the PC. I still want 'Destroy All Monsters!' from the GameCube on my PC.

cercuitspark

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012
[citation][nom]shikamaru31789[/nom]I get the feeling that they'll add online play to silver. I heard one rumor that it'll be free, but ad supported, so there will be lots of ads on the UI for silver accounts. If not, they'd better be adding some more incentives to gold.[/citation]

I've heard rumours of an $99 Xbox that will still keep the Xbox Live Gold stuff for all of the Internet connected things. (I've also read it in an article at "Wired").

Status
Not open for further replies.