Questions about watching digital cable tv on my PC

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Ok I have an ATI AIW800xl which I got from a friend for free, but he didn't have any of the connectors or software for it. So ive been using it as a basic video card for my system. But id like to know how I can use it to watch cable tv on my pc. But If i just plug in the cable to the AIW i cant get any premium channels. Could I just take say the S-video output and audio from my cable box and plug it into one of the AIW inputs?? Could I then use the cable box to change channels and stuff? Where can I purchase the I/O connector blocks for my AIW 800xl? Also what software would I have to use to do what im trying to do?? Right now I just have the basic ATI display driver+ATI Tray Tool installed. I don't use ATI MMC OR CCC, I didn't really like their software. Are there other options?? I just want to use the video card to input the video from my cable box. Please help.

frankienyc123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Its not that im looking for more than the AIW software its just the opposite, im looking for less. I dont use any of the AIW options really, I only have the card cuz a freind gave it to me and couldnt pass up a free graphics card, especially a half way decent one:) I dont want to have to use the ATI MMC if i dont have to. Heres another thing, i noticed the AIW accepts inoput from s-video or composite, but not the higher quality dvi or component connections. Does anyone make a video capture card that could accept the dvi output from my cable box, that way I could keep the video in the digital domain??

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
yup i agrie, the old aiw software is good(just my thought on it) i think its beter than the new tv wonder software, which doesnt even alow u to pause ur recordings, u can hook up a cable box to the aiw card, but u have to put ur aiw software on channel #3 (if im not mistaken) and tehn change the channels threw the cable box.