Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia Released new 8800 drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 8, 2006 3:32:06 PM

The long awaited 8800 series driver updates are available at www.nvidia.com, including the XP 64bit

XFX Support
December 8, 2006 4:00:43 PM

Still no Vista driver, though, despite Vista being legally available for four weeks now.
December 9, 2006 12:54:06 AM

Quote:
Still no Vista driver, though, despite Vista being legally available for four weeks now.

Legally available? To whom, the OEM's? I sure don't see any OEM's shipping Vista.

Vista isn't available to anyone except OEM's... which doesn't matter right now 'cause they aren't selling systems with Vista.
Related resources
December 9, 2006 1:46:55 AM

Quote:
Legally available? To whom, the OEM's? I sure don't see any OEM's shipping Vista.

Vista isn't available to anyone except OEM's... which doesn't matter right now 'cause they aren't selling systems with Vista.

Vista was released to MSDN members FOUR WEEKS AGO.
December 10, 2006 11:09:13 AM

I get that. But it's still not available to the average idiot legally. So why the hell would nVidia release drivers for an OS that isn't on sale yet? Don't you want them to work on them before releasing???

After all, we ARE talking about the first DX10 card here, so there's bound to be slight complications with the first driver release.

You've been spoiled by DX9.
December 10, 2006 11:29:21 AM

Quote:
Vista being legally available

Quote:
available to the average idiot legally.

Actually, neither of the previous two posters mentioned "average idiot." They just said "legally available" and "released". Unless nVidia only release their drivers for the "average idiot", the point is something of a non sequitur.

Personally, I think they should work on the drivers, yes. But considering that the Vista RTM has been public for months now (and probably even longer for Tier 1 customers like nVidia), and also that the card is released, I would expect good driver support. After all, how many "average idiots" are going to be buying a £400-500 graphics card anyway?

Synergy6
December 12, 2006 11:51:06 AM

Well that's lovely and everything but I would really like to have those Vista drivers...
December 12, 2006 8:07:52 PM

Well Nvidia have made it official by adding in the 8800s to this page with a quote at the bottom stating:

** GeForce 8800 requires updated drivers for Vista, which will be available to download when Vista is available at retail in late January.
December 12, 2006 8:13:22 PM

It seems excessive to have to wait more than ten weeks after the release of Vista in order to get working drivers. But I suppose I am the fool for buying the 8800GTX when it was released. At least their Linux drivers work.
December 13, 2006 7:12:49 AM

Anyone on this forum running a RTM copy of Vista is probably doing so illegally.

I stand by what I said earlier, Vista is not "available." I get what the original author is saying, but let's get real for a second. Why the hell would nVidia release a public driver for an OS that's not available to anyone except OEM's?

He's being unrealistic.
December 13, 2006 7:31:14 AM

Im on this forum, im running vista, and im doing it legally. Im just pissed that i spent 2 grand of the IT budget on a quad core, 8800gts, 680i setup and have vista mocking me with a big fat 1 on my graphics card score... :roll:

Vista is clearly crap and well over marketed, since it cant even display a 10 right, which my graphics card obviously should be.... :( 
December 13, 2006 7:35:58 AM

Let's not get into the 'you are a pirate' thing again.
December 13, 2006 12:46:57 PM

Quote:
Anyone on this forum running a RTM copy of Vista is probably doing so illegally.

I stand by what I said earlier, Vista is not "available." I get what the original author is saying, but let's get real for a second. Why the hell would nVidia release a public driver for an OS that's not available to anyone except OEM's?

I take offence at that. It was released to MSDN subscribers on 2006-11-17 and there are tens or even hundreds of thousands of those. It was released to volume license customers on 2006-11-30, though I'll grant that this would generally only apply to people who play at work.

I am a legal owner of one license for Windows Vista. As are hundreds of thousands of other people. I'm not able to use my nVidia 8800GTX because although it claims to support DirectX 10 on the box, no driver is yet available, nor is one planned for more than six weeks.
December 14, 2006 7:30:21 AM

I said probably. Not absolutely.

And I seriously doubt there are that many MSDN subcribers in this forum. The MSDN subscription level you refer to costs over $699 a year. From my experience most the folks in here don't have jobs in IT to where they can use MSDN for free.

Anyways, that's great that u have MSDN and all but I still believe that a vast majority of those running Vista in this forum is doing so illegally or they're using a time bomb RC version.

Regardless, DX10 is doing shi*t for anyone right now, so what's the difference? Currently there are no games that use DX10 features... and the earliest that will is Flight Sim X (in the form of a patch, which isn't out yet).

All ya'll just chill will the DX10 crap. Sheesh.
December 14, 2006 11:47:53 AM

Quote:
Well Nvidia have made it official by adding in the 8800s to this page with a quote at the bottom stating:

** GeForce 8800 requires updated drivers for Vista, which will be available to download when Vista is available at retail in late January.

Ugh that blows so much ass... I was hoping for a mid-december release. This kinda pisses me off, I've had a 8800 since the third day it came out and it's not doing me any good.
!