Isnt the final or next true step for cpu's organic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Shouldnt the next processor be organic like a brain (how the could acomplish this i dont know)? think about it a person can store tons upon tons of information (me and my friend estimate at least 3,000 tereabytes of memories for the average 30 year old (cant calculate emothions)) and processes lots of stuff on (techicaly) 1 core. i always have 3 things on my mind at once at least at school its around 5-8. and yes i am thinking about these things constintly. This is what I think is the nest step.

(feel free to call me crazy) :(

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
Although the information storage would be no issue at all it is a simple statement my friend reminded me of today. Computers are clumsy, dumb shits. lets face it, as humans we have developed said processors from babbage to intel. and all of the information contained within all machines come from us, giving a processor means to think could not be possible as it would require unkowns, the unpredictability. as humans we can shift to whatever topic we like, computers would only be able to do this randomly or when told no?

im not saying wat im saying is right im just spreading opinion lol. but i think the next true step forward is to understand ourselves more so, lets face it, to put it bluntly, we know jack all about the human brain.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Nope, wrong, your kinda on track, but facing the wrong direction. Processors as we know them now are just number crunchers for us, able to manipulate numbers millions of times a second. Our brains cannot do this, nor can we ever do this... and manipulating numbers like CPU's do now will become more and more important. In this sense, computers should never become like a human brain. Also, computers can process multiple instructions already with almost no performance loss, we have trouble driving and talking...

However, in the field of robotics, neural networking, and AI, then yes, the processors should be like a human brain, able to make decisions given a set of circumstances. However, this would be a completely different processor than what we use for scientific or server work. Whether we will make chips this complicated is an ethical issue, but that would be the ultimate goal of robotics and AI to make a chip very similar to the human brain.

Now, a robot might be able to have both kinds of processors, a number crunching one and a decision making one (the decision making could also be software implemented, but I don't even want to go into that grey area...) so it process as fast as a true computer while still being able to go outside the boundaries of it's programming (ethical issue yet again)...

Meh... ain't gonna happen for a long time, and when robots end up taking over the world, I better be long dead...

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
but again you said, given a set of circumstances. And i relaised this was of little relevance when you moved on to explain, but surely, it nwould still never totally reach the human brain itself.

Without going into a religious lecture n stuff, there is/isnt a meaning to life, and where this would need to be implemented into the decision part, computers would only ever have artificial emotion, the differences in these levels of emotion, tolerance or ebing subjected to it would not differ. And in all cases where the brain would need to be synchronised with the human brain, you would still need to orginally set it up, or govern rules, the rules would act as guide lines therefore hindering it, where humans have these same guidlines but can choose if needs be, to break them.

selfawareness would also be an issue i guess.

again i may be talking out of my ass. just my thoughts

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
organic processors would still be useful for the home user, tehy would probably have common sense (maybe even more sense than the user) would be able to learn (need to put up a baorder line for that feature for obvious resons) create all sorts of stuff (art programs games). For the lonely people it can carry a conversation with the user and even help him in his time of need (Death,Divorce).

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
For homes, a smart system, one that can adapt with the person but doesn't necessarily have intelligence is fine. Able to understand a persons verbal commands (i.e. open blinds, turn on lights), able to adjust to a persons schedule (turn heater on before he comes home), and whatever else to make the persons life easier. However, I don't see a point for it to create things (why...?) nor comfort a person in times of need (first off, there are friends, family, and other loved ones... we don't need people to get attached to computers more than they are now... sociologists would have a field day...).

For an intelligent computer, I would only consider it intelligent if it can make it's own decisions, and then learn from what the actions those decisions made. We learn things like that, why can't computers learn like that. Our personality, our traits, even our emotions are from our past experiences and social boundaries. An intelligent AI should be able to experience the same things, and draw out it's own conclusions. We have laws governing us, they will have laws governing them, hard-wired or otherwise. The only thing I will have issue with is if we create an intelligent self-aware computer, should we have the power to tell it exactly what to do.. then wouldn't that defeat the purpose of making it intelligent and aware if we're not going to give it choices?

Sigh, making robots or making beer... I choose beer. Less gray areas.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Right, but if computers had conciousness, they would not continue to be our slaves - there is no reason they would want to and we would feel bad & disallow this slavery as a society. Creating sentient beings with human intelligence is already widely practiced all over the world in a manner that is much more thrilling than the contruction of a computer although lessening the pain of initial boot-up of these would be nice.

Jo

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
true, were would the line be drawn in actually creating someone that would experience the fear of persecution.

But as to the drawing own conclusions, this would mean the brain could give itself liscence to do things, if so, it could quite easily bypass the rules we govern, if not its own conclusions hindered b those rules. i.e. there could only be a nearly brain, or a out of control brain.

and we have all seen enough movies to know wat the cosequences might be, however not so dramatic. id imagine we could stop soemthing as such before it got too large.

and on a fanatical note: how would we stop them? batt;es rely on weakness and strength, were humans in the wild survive by intelligence alone (when they did). with our intelligence duplicated if not bettered, how would we play any kind of trump card?

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
yes but of course there would be safety features such as when a certain amount of anger and other harmful emotions if will restart and loss the last 5 mins of information. I think itll listen to us when my finger is on the delete button to erase memory to a certain extent.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
but as i said, when you mentioned the 10 minute rpevious delete etc. you have to remember it is invcontrol of itself, you would need to set an external cpu to govern the original, and the governing of it would result in it being too artificial.

although all logical explanation seems to be defying us, i still think it is going to happen. and in the words of Mr. Smith: "it is inevitable"

global warming should kill us all before this anyway, if it lives up to its job description atleast

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
think about it a person can store tons upon tons of information (me and my friend estimate at least 3,000 tereabytes of memories for the average 30 year old
The difference between storage in your brain and computer storage is the storage on the computer is "static" and "perfect".

Static in the way that if the computer stores more data, the original data stays the same. In the brain, all our past memories are influenced by things that have happened since that time.
Perfect in the way that a computer stores exactly how something happened. Take a movie for example, a human remembers some of the scenes and the storyline, but the computers remember it all. A human could not answer about the specific the color of the random brick in the background of a scene, while a computer could give that answer.

I'm not sure how much data the brain can store, but I do know that the brain is a very imperfect medium for exact recollection, while a computer is perfect.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
you could artificially set it to make itself more 'static'. but again it would never be perfect, the only way i can see would be creating the said perfect brain and asking it to mimic the human brain and create a static brain CPU. the enhanced brain could be used to create its intended self.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
HAHA, would have to be stopped by the governing bit.

NEW THOUGHT, why not make the chip BELEIVE it is a human brain, configure its past life and modify all parts need to be modified.

Also these chips would lead to groundbreaking technology everywhere, the hacking and firewalling system would go beyond human understanding as chips were designed for the purpose to expand their own knowledge.

how would a chip feel being put in a box and being told to process graphics all day? this means the current CPUs would stay in use.

and surely turning off ur pc would be killing it?

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
haha wow, im gonna ahve to remember that, i was always vaguely interested in that after i saw day after tommorrow (I KNOW it is dramatised lol). Anyways we will save that for another topic.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
if a processor was organic wouldnt it also have the ability to decompose like all other organic material? Especially under the heat conditions that processor have to take these days anything organic would die very fast due to an inability to handle the heat.

so probably not, but who knows?

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
exactly (with the selfawareness bit), you would have to strip it of its selfawareness or limit it, wich could not be done as it would leanr to bypass itself. you would have to have a seperate cpu to govern it, which even that could be compromised.

we have spread like a trunk to its buds. this topic is endless lol

heartview

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
For computers to begin to think like us we will need to become far better programmers. We are in the era of parallel processing, which is exactly what our brain does 24/7. What we lack currently is the software to drive these computer "brains".

Our brains program themselves, which is another thing computers do not do today in any great capacity. Self modifying code, and not just data-driven code, is necessary to give a computer the thinking power of a human brain.

The brain can process information in several directions at once. It can change gears and process something completely differently and go through many "what if" scenarios all at the same time before ever coming up with a conclusion or answer. It can also rapidly "recompute" an answer through several iterations and consider each iteration an "answer" to the problem at hand.

Have you ever been asked a question and start to give an answer only to find yourself interrupting what you were going to say and give a different answer instead? One of the most powerful features of our brains is the ability to continuously analyze a problem long after we've found an "answer".

These are just some of the things our brains do continuously that computers can't even dream about doing today, even with a 1000 cores. But then, we are easily fooled. A computer could be human to us if we are convinced it is so, regardless of the messy details below the surface.

I guess I'm saying that our problems with making a computer act like a human are not so much with the hardware as it is with the software. It doesn't have to function exactly like a human brain to give similar results.

One more thing to consider. How long will it be before some scientist finds out how to put a "program" into some animals brain and use it as a computer? Think about that.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I'm just waiting for them to make my cyborg body...

There are way too many issues to be discussed here. When it comes to true A.I. and self-aware computers, you're bringing in philosophers, lawmakers, christian Dogma, all the powers of science, most of the neural-medical population, and the kitchen sink... This will probably be debated for years and years, might be the biggest controversy to even top slavery (which might in essence be similar, if we're treating these computers as things that should work for us...)

Meh, this whole thing is too complicated for lil ol me. Drink beer, be happy, live a long life.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Shouldnt the next processor be organic like a brain (how the could acomplish this i dont know)? think about it a person can store tons upon tons of information (me and my friend estimate at least 3,000 tereabytes of memories for the average 30 year old (cant calculate emothions)) and processes lots of stuff on (techicaly) 1 core. i always have 3 things on my mind at once at least at school its around 5-8. and yes i am thinking about these things constintly. This is what I think is the nest step.

(feel free to call me crazy) :(

Well, i don't think so because, life time would be short, and we would need to give him something to eat, cause everything with is organic, need food. And would be too sensible too, like, if we accidently drop it, it could bleed, and blood everywhere.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
....Processors as we know them now are just number crunchers for us, able to manipulate numbers millions of times a second. Our brains cannot do this, nor can we ever do this...

I'm not so sure this is true. Our brains may not compute in the GHz, but they parallel process pretty darn well. Think how fast you can calulate the force/trajectory/angle for a basketball, or baseball. I'm not sure a computer could make the calculations faster.

I agree with HeartView, our brains are orders of magnitude above the CPU in computing power. What we lack is perfect recall.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Yea you right about those dang computers! (sarcasm) But look at the human brain. Some brains can't spell or use proper english (if that is the brains main language). But it can think of three things at the same time like a blonde a brunette and a redhead. Dang those brains are really advanced. No I doubt organic cpus are next. We already have them. It's called your brain and your average person only uses less than one percent of it potential. And you thought quad core was over kill. :roll:

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The homo sapiens doesnt even understand himself (and never will; the brain is too complex for the brain to understand it :lol: ) so there cant be a way to build a human-like computer (not taking into consideration the required doesnt exist (yet?) anyway).

Yes, we are single-threaded. Too bad, maybe someone developes HT 4 brains =)

kinneer

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I would think optics would be the most likely next evolution step from the electron transitors. Research are well into this and the first generation of anoptical transitor has already existed for several years.

Status
Not open for further replies.