AGP question

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Ok here's the deal I'm getting a new computer at the end of the year and I'm giving this computer to my wife. My current video card for this computer is crap so I'm thinking of getting a new card for her. We are avid gamers and tend to play MMO's alot together we are currently waiting for Vanguard to come to play. What kinda card do you guys think I should get? Here are the specs

Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
PSU: Thermal Take 550W

Shouldn't need anything else for a card pick right? If you do please ask. I know the card needs to SM3 support so she can play Double Agent. Any help is greatly welcome. Money is of no matter I want her to have the best upgraded card till I can get her a new computer so I don't mind dropping 300 to 400 bucks on a video card if it's going to last her. Thanks in advance.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
megame255 is right about the choice for the X1950 Pro. The X1950 Pro has just been released and there are very few of them selling, and thus they are pretty expensive.
I saw the MSRP as $230, but if you give it a little time for more cards to come out and for the price to decrease near the MSRP, then the x1950 Pro will be a really good deal.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
megame255 is right about the choice for the X1950 Pro. The X1950 Pro has just been released and there are very few of them selling, and thus they are pretty expensive.
I saw the MSRP as $230, but if you give it a little time for more cards to come out and for the price to decrease near the MSRP, then the x1950 Pro will be a really good deal.

The only place i've seen with the x1950 Pro AGP in stock is BestBuyfor $299. You would think that ATi, VisionTek and PowerColor would put a little more effort into gettting these cards into the hands of retailers before Christmas. The 7600GT AGP is just as hard to aquire....sheesh. for a little less money than the x1950, there is the BFG 7800GS that is selling between $210-$250 on sale online and in stores.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Yeah I was looking at the 7800 and the X1950. I've recently had some bad luck with ATI cards but I don't think I would hold that against them. Thanks for the help guys. :)

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What type of system are you giving your wife? Maybe you can find a new board to go with that system with a PCI-E slot. If not just sell the current computer and build/purchase a new system for both you and your wife with PCI-E slots.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
He's on a socket 478 system. There are very few motherboards that contain a PCI Express for his socket.
I just looked today and there are no boards that contain PCI Express and DDR memory, so the getting a new board is out of the options.

Slappy_Slime

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
BFG geforce 7800 gs oc..... got one for my son and this card rocks, he is an avid game player, "Oblivion, BF2, flight /racing sims" and etc. and this card is having no problems, its on the pricey side but worth it, im thinking about getting one for myself, insted of buying a new computer. but his computer is P4@3.0, 2 g ram on a ASUS motherboard P4C800-E deluxe. Tried that card in my system first on a 2.8 @1.25g mem and that card still rocks on. And he is using a Ultra 550 watt power supply. Im am (so is he) very happy with this card!

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I'm basically giving her my old system that I'm using now but I need to upgrade my video card because it's going out and it doesn't support SM 3.0. But if you'd like my full spec's it's an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard my PSU is a 550 Thermaltake. I have 2 gigs of DDR 550 and I'm currently running an ATI X850XT video card. Using onboard sound and networking in a very very old crappy computer case. All and all though this computer has served me very well. Oh my processor is a P4 3.2 OC'd on air to 3.5. Nothing fancy. But there she is in her oldness. ;-)

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Yeah, really, the X850 is a really good AGP card. I question the wisdom of upgrading. If you're unhappy with how the system is handling those games, you're going to need a new system to get much better.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Well, the card doesnt' support SM 3.0 which is what I was looking for in the AGP format and the X850XT doesn't support it which is the only reason I want to replace it with another card. Otherwise it's a good card no doubt it's given me hours and hours of joyous gaming pleasure.

As far as cooling goes I was planning on putting a water cooling kit on this computer for her until I could get her a new computer as well. But I think she will be fine with this computer for a bit she's mainly going to play Vanguard and Splinter Cell Double Agent which is why I need a card that supports SM 3.0

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Is it really going to make that much difference????

Well, considering Splinter Cell: Double Agent won't even load up a level unless you have SM 3.0 I would say yes. I guess you could label us Splinter Cell Fan boi & girl. Enough so to buy a new card for it hehe.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
She sounds like a cool wife.

Thanks :) I think so at least. hehe We were high school sweet hearts too I should have married her back then but decided we should sow our oats before hand. So we went our own ways after school and then ended up hooking back up nearly 10 years later. If it's meant to happen it will happen.

I wish I had a cool wife.

Just hang in there man. :) You'll find the right lady when you probably least expect it too.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I've got to finish up school first.

Anyways, have you considered the X850XT? It's cheap these day (although not SM3) and is still pretty darn fast.
-cm

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Ya that sucks because you X800XT is a better card than a lot of the cards that use SM3 but are much slower. I hate it when they make a game and it just makes your card obsolete.

When battlefield2 came out I could no longer use my Geforce Ti 4200 which when BF2 came out was still a decent low end card. Much better than a lot of the other cards that BF2 still supported. You could always try to sell the card. Might be able to get 100 bucks for it unless you sell it on Ebay where you might get more.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Ya that sucks because you X800XT is a better card than a lot of the cards that use SM3 but are much slower. I hate it when they make a game and it just makes your card obsolete.

When battlefield2 came out I could no longer use my Geforce Ti 4200 which when BF2 came out was still a decent low end card. Much better than a lot of the other cards that BF2 still supported. You could always try to sell the card. Might be able to get 100 bucks for it unless you sell it on Ebay where you might get more.

Yeah I hate when they do things like that. I used to have an ATI 9600XT and that was a good card at the time. Then I decided what the hell and I bought the X850XT for a birthday present to myself and now the card needs to be replaced. /sigh Oh well it served me well in World of Warcraft heh.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Best Buy was selling 7900GS cards for $150.00 which is a good deal. But then you would have to go PCI-E which is probably your best route unless you get a 7800GS which is a decent card but over priced or a X1950 pro but that is about 250-300 bucks. Unless you can find a motherboard with a pci-e that still takes your cpu.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Boy, I would upgrade to PCI-E.

I know you have to reinstall windows, but Vista is coming out soon so you may need to anyway. PCI-E is the future, and it might be worth it to get on board now.
-cm

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Boy, I would upgrade to PCI-E.

I know you have to reinstall windows, but Vista is coming out soon so you may need to anyway. PCI-E is the future, and it might be worth it to get on board now.

Well, I'm about to get a new computer using PCI-E and all this is just for my wife. See we are having a baby in January and I'm trying not to spend a huge amount of money on upgrading this computer right now. My plan was to throw in a new graphics card in this computer and then maybe put a water cooling kit on it and call it a day.

Then in the future when we have the extra money I would put together a new computer for her as well. Just don't have the cash to get two new ones at the moment right now. :-/ Wish I did though heh.