first time build

rit2003uk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
just completed my computer but when i turn it on all i get is the keyboard lights flashing and thats it any 1 know whats wrong i have the asrock dual vsta wud having a pcie card in at the start up change it from running coz the old bios doesnt support asus 7600gt any thoughts?

rit2003uk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i wish i cud flash the f****** thing all i get is the keyboard lights flashing no display whatsoever no signal c**p

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Do you think flashing the BIOS will help?

That's a good place to start, but you can't flash the bios if it's not powering on. I'd think you'd get more than just a flash of light on the keyboard though, even with an unsupported vid card. Did you use the motherboard stands when you put the mobo in? If not, your shorting it out.

rit2003uk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
yes ive done that could it be the wiring probably in the wrong slots im not sure on the one form the front i have power led power switch hdd led reset on the mother board there is [ powerled powr btn]
hdd led reset
i just recently had a blue light at the front of the case come on and off when i pressed power

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Having one of those connections wrong or the leadds backwards can cause problems. Go through them again when you can. Hopefully it's something simple.

jimcarmichael26

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
bare in mind that very strange things happen if your new rig is too much for your old power unit -
same happened to me once - and i realised it was because i was trying to run off a 150W unit...
have you got enough power?

pat

Expert
just completed my computer but when i turn it on all i get is the keyboard lights flashing and thats it any 1 know whats wrong i have the asrock dual vsta wud having a pcie card in at the start up change it from running coz the old bios doesnt support asus 7600gt any thoughts?

You did plug the ATX12v 4 pins wire in the 4 pins connector?

rit2003uk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i have the antec sonata 2 with 450w smartpower wud this be enough power? also the orange light is on the front of the case the monitor displays no signal the only other graphics card i have is in this computer radeon 9250 wud this work?

pat

Expert
i have plugged in the 4pin power thing can take pictures if needed

the one that is alone with yellow and black wire or the one that attatch to the 20 pins connector to make it a 24 one?

The one with yellow and black wire is the good one.

If you have an AGP video card, you can try it.

What about RAM? Brand, size, number of stick... try with just one stick at first.

Maybe the motherboard is grounded somewhere. A misplaced raiser underneath the board making contact with printed circuit is a common trouble with first time builder. try it outside the case on a non conductive surface.

Then, make sure the power button wire is plugged at the right place, double check with your manual to be sure.

rit2003uk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
ok i tried with the agp card but still the same problem no signal on monitor display orange light standby none of the fans spin nothing there is the 20pin main power and 4 pin there both plugged in correctly whats wrong i will try motherboard out of case whats a safe surface?

pat

Expert
ok i tried with the agp card but still the same problem no signal on monitor display orange light standby none of the fans spin nothing there is the 20pin main power and 4 pin there both plugged in correctly whats wrong i will try motherboard out of case whats a safe surface?

puctuation usually helps making post readeable... things like . , ? ...

which 4 pins connectors did you use? the stand alone one or the one connected to the 20 pins connector?

pat

Expert
i used the one connected to 20pin power.is that right? sry about punctuation

no, it is not the one.. it is one with yellow and black wires. if you look carefully, the one that attach to the main one is not even correctly keyed to fit in there...

the right one is the one that is apart from the other wires.