Please help....frustrated.

mschmidbauer001

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
So when i open up any media player and want to watch a video clip online - be it in a mozilla window, IE window, or media player window the video will play, and i can hear sound - but there is no picture - well, not a visible picture. if you stand up and look at my monitor you can tell it's playing because you can see a VERY little hint that it is that video...but you cannot make ANYTHING out . it's all black mostly. WHY?! i reinstalled my video and audio drivers, and still nothing. is this not it? i'm confused and quite frustrated. this only happens to watch a media clip, other than that, everything appears normal in normal colors on the screen.

It may be that your video card doesn't work well with the version of directx loaded in your system. I would remove it, and try an older version. Removing it is tricky, but software is available. The cheapest is about $12,

mschmidbauer001

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
hmmm. never thought of that. but it shouldn't be. i have a 7950GT and it's running with DX9. it should be fine. i dunno tho - it's pissing me off.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Guys with new ATI vidcards found out that the latest Catalyst enhancements for online video playback (with hardware support) did not always work!
Clips on CNN for example were cartoon-like with inverted colours (kind of like a negative) and this was not good...
Upgrading from WMP9 to WMP10 seemed to magically fix everything though.
I know you are on nVidia but you could be in Codec Hell (do you work with video ie. MPEG2, DivX, XviD MPEG4 etc?)
Often in older OS installs many different codecs have been installed and will conflict.
What WMP are you using? Try an upgrade to WMP10 (or I guess they are pushing WMP11 now) and see if your problem goes away.
I can assure you that a nice new WinXP SP2 installation will likely solve a lot of mysteries, heheh...
But some folks require this more than others,
Regards

thefishdude

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
something worth trying, is taking of the video accelration in windows media player. go to tools/options/performance and at bottom you will see a slide bar.

when i built my new system i had major play back problems with videos as by default it seesm the video acceleration is on full. when i took it off everything worked perfect.