Sign in with
Your question

Updating AMD CPU Driver on a Notebook

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2006 6:16:49 PM

Hi, all. New member, frequent visitor for info, and frustrated searcher. I've done a search here, but the navigation buttons past page 3 in the search results don't work for me. So apologies if this has been asked/answered. (Nothing has shown up at Google and there's no help on AMD's site. HP customer support has exhausted all of their options.)

I have a Compaq Presario V2000 Notebook. Running an HP diagnostic, it says there's an update to my CPU processor (AMD Sempron). I download the driver but am not able to run/install it until the original CPU driver is removed.

I've tried uninstalling it with no success through both the Add/Remove Control Panel and by trying to uninstall it through the Device Management console.

Add/Remove won't let me remove it (I set some error that says "setup.exe failed") and when I try to do it through the Device Management Console, the procesor driver is right back after the reboot.

I'd appreciate any thoughts ideas on removing the current CPU driver so that I can install the updated driver.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Brent
December 9, 2006 12:34:34 AM

Thanks, mad-dog. Unfortunately, the answer was not there or in the other threads linked in that forum. I needed to uninstall the driver that was there, and those conversations didn't have that procedure, or I overlooked it.

I did, however, find a fix. I reinstalled the original driver from the driver recovery utility on the notebook. After rebooting, it allowed me to uninstall the old driver (maybe it had become corrupt). I rebooted and installed the updated driver and everything is working fine.
Related resources
December 9, 2006 12:39:23 AM

You should stay here and help others.
December 9, 2006 12:45:57 AM

Thank you, mpjesse. I appreciate the offer. I probably will contribute, now that I'm a member.

I've used Tom's Hardware forums for several years and always found his articles very helpful. I didn't know about the forum until today, though. Hah! :D 

I'm now poking around the networks forums trying to figure out how to get my ad hoc network to work.

Is there someone (or a thread) I can post forum problems to? The search results is still a problem. If it's more than one page, I can sometimes navigate to pages 2 and 3 (not always and only from the top of the search results navigation panel, not the bottom), but never beyond. It will say "no search results" even though there can be 40 pages of search results.
December 9, 2006 4:14:52 AM

Quote:
Is there someone (or a thread) I can post forum problems to?

Yes, but it falls on deaf ears..
Quote:
The search results is still a problem. If it's more than one page, I can sometimes navigate to pages 2 and 3 (not always and only from the top of the search results navigation panel, not the bottom), but never beyond. It will say "no search results" even though there can be 40 pages of search results.

Your not alone, we all suffer from the same fate..
December 9, 2006 4:18:05 AM

Quote:
I did, however, find a fix. I reinstalled the original driver from the driver recovery utility on the notebook. After rebooting, it allowed me to uninstall the old driver (maybe it had become corrupt). I rebooted and installed the updated driver and everything is working fine.

Very cool indeed, I have found that if the driver automatic update program fails to work properly then i can manually update the driver (forced installation).
December 9, 2006 3:26:06 PM

Quote:
Is there someone (or a thread) I can post forum problems to?

Yes, but it falls on deaf ears..
Quote:
The search results is still a problem. If it's more than one page, I can sometimes navigate to pages 2 and 3 (not always and only from the top of the search results navigation panel, not the bottom), but never beyond. It will say "no search results" even though there can be 40 pages of search results.

Your not alone, we all suffer from the same fate..

Yeah, I'm getting the feeling this is an "orphan" forum for the smallnetbiz thing or whatever it is.

I pointed out a dead link to an article (stickied at the top of one of the Network forums) and was tersely informed it was fixed and that everything is now at the smallnetbiz (or whatever it's called website). Guess what? I don't care. I just politely reported a dead link. I have no interest in small networks or anything too technical. I do care about getting informed, intelligent, and polite answers. (There do seem to be a number of snarky folks here, which is also off putting.)
!