Which case to get (I know, I know...)

Phrantic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
You guys might get questions like this a lot but I have to say that after a lot of research I'm still not sure which case to get for my new build as there are way too many choices out there. I want a case that meets most of my needs which is quite hard apparently, and many hardware sites don't review everything of the case aspects that I like to know.

I'm looking for a midi-tower, or maybe a 'small' full-tower for around $50-150. I have looked at several cases myself e.g. Tuniq Symmetry (looks great but poor airflow), CoolerMaster Cavalier (hard to handle, heavy) and several Antec cases.

Here are my requirements of the case, ranked by priority from highest downwards.

* Good to great airflow
The case will be on my desk and it will be right next to my radiator and window. So in the winter, it can be a little hot if it sucks up all the warm air from my heating. I'll want room for at least one 120mm fan, it doesn't have to be included but any included fans are a plus.

* Looks good
Of course the case needs to look good, as it will be right next to me. I don't want a case with extreme decorations, it needs to be modest but still stylish. LEDs, windows, etc. are a plus but not a requirement.

* No PSU
The case does not need to have a power supply, unless it is better than the Seasonic 430W that I'm planning to get (in terms of amperage and heat distribution). If there is a case that comes with a better PSU (which I find hard to believe) let me know.

* LANability
Every once in a while I'll take the pc to a LAN. So it should not be super heavy. And if there are convenient handles or something that would make moving the case easier, it would be cool.
Of course it will get a few bumps when I move it in a car so I don't want panels falling off easily. xD Sturdy construction; doesn't need to be panzer armor with expensive materials but it has to be solid.

* Bays
I'm not that demanding; it will have to hold one DVD burner, one or two harddrives and a floppy drive. I don't need ten bays and if there are cases out there that make better use of that wasted space, that'd be great.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
One that meets your requirements is the Thermaltake Tsunami. It has a front 120mm, rear 120mm and side 90mm fan. Black or Silver, side window.

The Armor Jr is also nice as well as the Antec P180.

Wazza

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
What do you think of the Coolermaster 330 or similar? I'm looking to buy a new computer but i really don't want to splurge too much on the case. Any cheap, good looking and reliable suggestions would be appreciated.

Phrantic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
One that meets your requirements is the Thermaltake Tsunami. It has a front 120mm, rear 120mm and side 90mm fan. Black or Silver, side window.

The Armor Jr is also nice as well as the Antec P180.
Every review I've read about the Tsunami says that the case is very fragile and that it's easy to break the top compartment. Have you experienced any of this?
I hate the look of the Antec P180, but I really liked the layout of the case. A friend of mine has it and he's very content with it. Hmm, a small price to pay maybe.
Thermaltake Armor might be a bit more costly than I'm looking for, although it comes with two fans so that would save me $10.

I've been looking into the CoolerMaster Centurion 534, it looks a neat case but from what I've seen I can't tell if the intake fan functions really well? I quite like the look of the silver windowed version case.

G

I assume you would then hate the look of most Lian-Li.

Some of them are in your price range and have a very similar internal design.

The 'old' CM stacker is pretty cool. And within you're price.

I dont really like the tsunami but that's personal. It kinda is flimsy despite the nice aluminum front...

The P150 from atnec is a pretty good case too. The black one doesn't have a PSU

I use to own a 1050TX pretty nice case, does come with a so-so PSU

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I picked up the Thermaltake armor a couple weeks ago. I love it. Super sturdy and well build with great airflow and little noise. A bit heavy, though, but I'll put up with that for all the other great things the case offers.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I also vote for the Antec 900. Has 2 front 120mm LED fans, read 120mm fan and top giant 200mm fan (yet somehow runs pretty quietly). Also has a side window if you like that sort of thing. Has an internal layout very similar to the Antec p180, so you should like that. It doesn't come with a PSU which in your case is a plus. The only downside is that it is a little on the big side, but it is pretty light considering its size.

Phrantic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The most interesting option so far I've found Skyguy's Thermaltake Matrix. :) The look of the case I can get used to, but it's especially the reviews I've read that make this case interesting (and very light!).

The Antec 900 is a bit of a hurricane in my opinion, I don't like the placement of the PSU in the case just for the seemingly needless 200mm fan on top. I'd maybe get the Antec p180 if the price was lower, I reckon that's a good case that looks a bit boring (but of course leaves room for modding :D)

Thermaltake Armor is a bit heavy and expensive, the Armor Jr. however is hard to get where I live (Netherlands).

I myself have been looking at the Cooler Master Centurion 534, the black/silver version with a window, looks quite stylish, seems to cover everything, from airflow to robustness, although not to the extreme, but for a very affordable price. That and the Matrix VX are my first choices right now.

Thanks for the input. :)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yes, Matrix VX won't be winning any Modernist Design awards, but it's not BAD. It's not sexy, but it's not ugly. It's......functional. Got a bit of style with the window that you can tweak, but it's got some great features at a bargain price. Not as popular as many other cases, but in my opinion, it's one of the best kept secrets, most-overlooked cases out there. :)

Phrantic

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Funny thing is, despite the all mesh front panel and the various vent holes as well as the 120mm fans, the cooling in the Matrix VX seems to be quite average. I've seen temperatures that were over 10 degrees hotter than some Antec cases around the same price, even with custom fans...

The Coolermaster Centurion 5 and 534 look nice cases, the 5 also has a mesh front, but it apparently attracts a lot of dust doe to the fan. The 534 doesn't have this problem but I don't know if its airflow is as good.

The problem with most reviews is that they rate the airflow with stock cooling, I'd be prepared to buy two custom fans for my case if that would really improve the product. It's hard to tell right now if the Tt Matrix would provide better cooling with custom fans than the Centurions.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You don't like the position of the PSU in the Antec 900, but you like the P180?? They have very similar internals (including same position for the PSU). At first I was worried about the noise the 900 was going to produce, but I just put one together for a friend and it is remarkably quiet.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
The Tsunami was fine. I moved mine around, installed water cooling and took the entire thing apart 3-4 times and had no problems with it.

I prefer my full size armor but I just needed the room to put the rad inside. Most of the cases from Thermaltake, Antec, Silverstone or Lian Li are pretty good, just choose your size and preference.

If you can afford it, I'd vote for the Thermaltake Armor Jr. I think it's one of the best mid size cases for the price.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
But if those annoying squeaking "mini-doors" on the front turn you off, look at the Aguila instead.......same guts, sexier front ;) Door can open from either direction too.......

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Actually, those doors were the most annoying part of the case so I just took them right off. I've decided never to get another case with any kind of door on them but these were easy to get off and it still looks ok.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Yeah, it's a great case, and very well priced. I almost got the Armor Jr.......the only reason I didn't was I needed a case with a door to keep my toddler from being able to easily access buttons such as "RESET" LOL. The Aguila is for me, exact same as the Armor Jr but with a door. And very nice lines I must add, looks great.