specific webcam software needs

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 18, 2004 5:18:56 AM

I've got a webcam setup with two cameras that FTP scenic photos to pages on
a website. I use two webcam software packages, one for each camera. One
(ISpy from Surveyor Corp) takes a 640 x 480 .jpg photo (about 35kb) every 30
seconds and sends it to a page where it's shown in a java applet that
refreshes every 30 seconds. Works great.

The second software package is supposed to send a photo from the second
camera to another page on the site every 30 seconds, but then ALSO save one
photo an hour in a 10-shot series that displays a sort of 10 hour "time
lapse". The software package I have is called KabCam and it does precisely
that, but it's so buggy that I can't keep it running for a full day without
it freezing and needing to be restarted. KabCam calls this feature "image
archiving". In the Capture section, one dialog box says "Archive every ___
images". Another says "Keep ___ archived images". Since I'm capturing a
photo every 30 seconds I set it to archive every 120th image and keep 10
images archived. That saves one photo per hour for the last ten hours. If
the damn software worked I wouldn't be telling this boring story.

What I'm looking for is replacement software for that second camera, and the
hard feature to find is the ability to post pictures in a series at a rate
of one per hour (the software renumbers them when a new photo is posted,
posts the new one and erases the oldest one) WHILE it's posting a new photo
every 30 seconds. I can't use a package that just posts the latest series,
since that'd just post a few minutes' worth, not what I'm looking for.
Anything else out there meet this particular need?
WC
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 3:00:35 PM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:18:56 GMT, "WCH" <whexeterDELETEthisPART@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>What I'm looking for is replacement software for that second camera, and the
>hard feature to find is the ability to post pictures in a series at a rate
>of one per hour (the software renumbers them when a new photo is posted,
>posts the new one and erases the oldest one) WHILE it's posting a new photo
>every 30 seconds. I can't use a package that just posts the latest series,
>since that'd just post a few minutes' worth, not what I'm looking for.
>Anything else out there meet this particular need?

Chillcam. http://www.chillcam.com
I'm using it, one picture every minute, ftp, overwrites the previous one. One
picture every 30 mins, numbered sequentially up to whatever you specify, then it
starts overwriting again. Not quite what you need, as the latest hourly one
could be anywhere in the list, rather than at the top.

I've tried a few others, but I always end up going back to chillcam.

I saw one, which could ripple through all the pictures, renaming them. I think
this is more in line with what you need.

At the start, image1 is uploaded.
After one hour, image1 is renamed image2 and a new image1 is uploaded. etc.
After another hour, image2 is renamed image3, image1 is renamed image2 and a new
image1 is uploaded. etc.

Can't remember what it was though...
--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 6:06:44 PM

Thanks for your reply. I've set up ChillCam and I'm running it right now.
Based on its configuration options, you're right, it will do just what I'm
looking for. Of course, I thought the same thing about KabCam, so it turns
out I have to wait and see if it works over time.
Thanks again for the referral.
WC

!