XP computer to serve as a router

oneofayykind

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Ok here is my situation. Comcast only allows me to have 2 mac addresses therefore only 2 computers connected to the internet. I dont have a router so I decided I would also connect my laptop to my setup with a hub that I have. That is when I found out comcast is cheap and only allows me to have two computers getting an external ip. I found an old NIC and decided to install it in my computer so I could setup an internal network through my computer to allow my laptop to access the internet through my computer. The problem is its been so long since I have done this that I dont remember how to. Anyone have any idea? I tried making the 2nd NIC the gateway for the laptop but hasnt worked and I have tried a few other possibilities with no success. I know I can go buy a router for 40 bucks but I started this at 12 am and cant get one at this time and now that I have started this project I would atleast like to get it going. Anyone know anything?

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Have you run Internet Connection Sharing on your computer?

The first NIC needs to be the gateway.

The IP addresses need to be of the same network eg
192.168.0.x and 192.168.0.y

I must admit I bought a £25 router that does DHCP server and NAT and all my PCs connect very happily - but I understand finishing the project! Computers are supposed to be here for our benefit not the other way round!