Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Popups, I am not coming back.

Last response: in Site Feedback
Share
December 23, 2010 2:46:37 PM

Every link I click on has a popup. I mean EVERY SINGLE LINK i click i then have to close the ad popup.

I wont be coming back. To bad, this was a great site.

More about : popups coming back

December 23, 2010 4:04:06 PM

bobothewizard said:
Every link I click on has a popup. I mean EVERY SINGLE LINK i click i then have to close the ad popup.

I wont be coming back. To bad, this was a great site.


same here. won't be back. every single click of a link equals ads that require you to click skip to get to the page you want.
All those who are still here, Have Fun!
December 23, 2010 7:16:51 PM


Well neither of you have been here long enough to look round the Forums for ideasof how to prevent this. Tom's lives on its adverts but Firefox with AdBlock can save you from having to look at them. I believe AdBlock also works in Chrome.

If you haven't left yet, get AdBlock and stick around. There's lots of good advice at Tom's.

Related resources
December 25, 2010 3:56:51 PM

Saga Lout said:

Well neither of you have been here long enough to look round the Forums for ideasof how to prevent this. Tom's lives on its adverts but Firefox with AdBlock can save you from having to look at them. I believe AdBlock also works in Chrome.

If you haven't left yet, get AdBlock and stick around. There's lots of good advice at Tom's.

Thank you for the tip. I was visiting Tom's very infrequently because of the popups. Hopefully I'll be back more often now.
December 25, 2010 4:13:27 PM


Nie to hear - always good to see new posters. Maybe the Mods will put a Sticky up somewhere noticeable about AdBlock.


December 27, 2010 9:21:03 PM

I've been using this site for information for years and recommend it to all of my friends. However, there are so many pop up ads lately that I have been reading Tech Report more and more. I am all for capitalism but this is a bit overkill. I installed Adblock on FF and I still get the popups. I checked and it says that Adblock Plus is enabled. Any suggestions??
December 28, 2010 1:45:58 AM

You probably need to add filters. Hover over the ad, and look for the 'block' tab.
December 28, 2010 3:29:24 AM

Did you add a filter subscription? Sometimes the subscription page doesn't show up when you install ABP and so you have a plugin that essentially does nothing until you add one. Go to Preferences->Filters->Add filter subscription.
December 28, 2010 5:43:26 AM

Been reading this forum and news for the last two years off a recommendation. But, I'm came on here to actually complain about this.

I hate to say it, but this is really pathetic. Like you said, now every time I hit a link, EVERY time, an ad pops up. Not cool, and extremely annoying. I'm reading more ads than I am about the stuff I'm interested. As a lurker, I'm officially quitting this site.

Sorry Tom's, you were great, but consider this my resignation from here.
December 28, 2010 2:49:06 PM

furylicious said:
Been reading this forum and news for the last two years off a recommendation. But, I'm came on here to actually complain about this.

I hate to say it, but this is really pathetic. Like you said, now every time I hit a link, EVERY time, an ad pops up. Not cool, and extremely annoying. I'm reading more ads than I am about the stuff I'm interested. As a lurker, I'm officially quitting this site.

Sorry Tom's, you were great, but consider this my resignation from here.




It's always a shame when someone leaves - did you not wish to give AdBlock a try? I don't see any adverts or underscores pointing to any.

December 28, 2010 9:09:31 PM

aford10 said:
You probably need to add filters. Hover over the ad, and look for the 'block' tab.



That did it. Thanks.
December 28, 2010 9:59:24 PM

:) 
December 29, 2010 12:37:06 AM

I too might have to stop checking out the news section. I shouldn't have to add things to my browser such as adblock just to prevent stuff like this. I'd rather spend less energy going to other websites to get my information. I loved this website, but the popups are killing it. I can't even get past the popups either. clicking the link above it to skip the ad does absolutely nothing. I'm not putting an extension on my browser just for one single website. thats ridiculous.
December 29, 2010 12:42:41 AM

That is your choice. BoM is simply trying to keep the revenue stream up, to keep the site running.
December 29, 2010 12:56:29 PM

Honestly, adds are a fact of life, but the page-blocking full popup adds are pretty much exclusive to Tom's (from a tech-site perspective). Nothing worse than the page loading, going to click a link you see and just then wham; popup... I don't have this problem on any of the other tech sites and don't have to install special software to use them. They all have adds but banners and such. But a popup every single page of a review just get's my nerve. That's one reason I do not come to this forum very often. I don't want to install special software just for this site. It's a good site but not so good that it can require special consideration. Obviously, this is just my opinion... but that's how I feel.

Actually, I didn't advertise my Christmas-Core giveaway here just because I didn't want to deal with the popups... While not direct revenue, it would have helped push more traffic... But I just didn't want to mess with the popups 10 times a day... I don't mind advertising... I hate the wait 5 seconds then Wham, full page block...
December 30, 2010 4:01:19 AM

thank you Tom's for getting rid of them..I'm glad to see you're listening!
December 30, 2010 4:04:21 AM

So I'm not the only person who has noticed their disappearance. I can't see any ads, not even banners.
December 30, 2010 4:45:05 AM

nope, none. cuz if there was, I wouldn't be able to read any of the articles im reading right now :)  my nerd boner just got turned back on.
March 17, 2011 6:35:57 PM

chickenhoagie said:
thank you Tom's for getting rid of them..I'm glad to see you're listening!


They're back... I've noticed them for a while but rarely. But today I noticed them again on the every-click instance... Not worth it.
March 21, 2011 2:12:20 PM

They shouldn't be - any popups are coded for a one-time only kind've thing. Which popup are you seeing repeatedly?
March 27, 2011 4:29:34 PM

The pop-up ads get really annoying very quick!
Why did Tomshardware decide to do this? I love this site and really have enjoyed it over the years but people do get sick of pop-up ads, all they do is make the site feel more unprofessional! Tomshardware will start to notice that they will be losing some of there long term fans.
!