Updates and XP

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

gls858 wrote

>Are you getting stop error message when it blue screens ?

Yes, but when Windows starts those monstrous 120sec dumps I power down
and reboot; it's quicker and doesn't fill my hdd with multi Mb dumps.

Below is an error report from Event viewer which definitely produced a
BSOD. The curious fact is that it is the only one there and it
occurred back in mid December but, apart from the last few days, which
have been clear, I have been getting the crashes on a daily basis -
sometimes 2or 3 in the space of a few hours.

Event viewer shows many red crosses, mainly from 'Side by Side'- which
seem to be very numerous but self correcting - and some from 'Service
Manager'. I've added a sample of each.

I suspect that win32k.sys is a possible source of problems, since it
appears so often in stop messages, but can do nothing about it.

As for the error reporting to MS, I almost invariably find that there
is no solution available so, all in all, the most satisfactory course
for me to adopt seems to be either to hit 'Alt F S' every few seconds
and live with the BSODs or to reinstall.

Tony.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: System Error
Event Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003
Date: 17/12/2004
Time: 19:38:27
User: N/A
Computer: TONY
Error code 0000008e, parameter1 80000003, parameter2 804dfa67,
parameter3 8054d238, parameter4 00000000.

Data:
0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 38 0000008
0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 38 30 eters 80
0030: 30 30 30 30 30 33 2c 20 000003,
0038: 38 30 34 64 66 61 36 37 804dfa67
0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 34 64 32 , 8054d2
0048: 33 38 2c 20 30 30 30 30 38, 0000
0050: 30 30 30 30 0000

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SideBySide
Event Category: None
Event ID: 59
Date: 07/01/2005
Time: 15:25:47
User: N/A
Computer: TONY
Generate Activation Context failed for
C:\WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll. Reference error message: The
operation completed successfully.
..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7016
Date: 06/01/2005
Time: 22:30:47
User: N/A
Computer: TONY
The GEARSecurity service has reported an invalid current state 0.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

Tony wrote:
> gls858 wrote
>

>>Are you getting stop error message when it blue screens ?
>

> Yes, but when Windows starts those monstrous 120sec dumps I power down
> and reboot; it's quicker and doesn't fill my hdd with multi Mb dumps.
>
> Below is an error report from Event viewer which definitely produced a
> BSOD. The curious fact is that it is the only one there and it
> occurred back in mid December but, apart from the last few days, which
> have been clear, I have been getting the crashes on a daily basis -
> sometimes 2or 3 in the space of a few hours.
>
> Event viewer shows many red crosses, mainly from 'Side by Side'- which
> seem to be very numerous but self correcting - and some from 'Service
> Manager'. I've added a sample of each.
>
> I suspect that win32k.sys is a possible source of problems, since it
> appears so often in stop messages, but can do nothing about it.
>
> As for the error reporting to MS, I almost invariably find that there
> is no solution available so, all in all, the most satisfactory course
> for me to adopt seems to be either to hit 'Alt F S' every few seconds
> and live with the BSODs or to reinstall.
>
> Tony.
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: System Error
> Event Category: (102)
> Event ID: 1003
> Date: 17/12/2004
> Time: 19:38:27
> User: N/A
> Computer: TONY
> Error code 0000008e, parameter1 80000003, parameter2 804dfa67,
> parameter3 8054d238, parameter4 00000000.

> Data:
> 0000: 53 79 73 74 65 6d 20 45 System E
> 0008: 72 72 6f 72 20 20 45 72 rror Er
> 0010: 72 6f 72 20 63 6f 64 65 ror code
> 0018: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 38 0000008
> 0020: 65 20 20 50 61 72 61 6d e Param
> 0028: 65 74 65 72 73 20 38 30 eters 80
> 0030: 30 30 30 30 30 33 2c 20 000003,
> 0038: 38 30 34 64 66 61 36 37 804dfa67
> 0040: 2c 20 38 30 35 34 64 32 , 8054d2
> 0048: 33 38 2c 20 30 30 30 30 38, 0000
> 0050: 30 30 30 30 0000
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: SideBySide
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 59
> Date: 07/01/2005
> Time: 15:25:47
> User: N/A
> Computer: TONY
> Generate Activation Context failed for
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\WININET.dll. Reference error message: The
> operation completed successfully.
> .

> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: Service Control Manager
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 7016
> Date: 06/01/2005
> Time: 22:30:47
> User: N/A
> Computer: TONY
> The GEARSecurity service has reported an invalid current state 0.

> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp

I found quite a few hits on Google concerning GearSecurity. It seems to
be related to iTunes and CD burning. Do you use iTunes?
Just cut and paste GEARSecurity into Google. Check a few of
the hits and see if anything seems to fit. As far as the SideBySide
is concerned I got quite a few hits but I'm not sure if they relate
to any software you have loaded. You might spend some time checking
those out also. This appears to be a software problem.