DS3 Died..I think. time to RMA, new fans to blame???

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Any help/Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Specs: DS3 (F7)
C2d 6600
Corsair 6400 pro cl5
2X Seagate 7200.10 in raid 0
I've been running a DS3 with a C2d e6600 for about a month now with no problems. I had the processor clocked at 3400 (9 x 377) for the past week with no problems, even under prime 95. I just installed new case fans (2 x Vantec stealth 12cm & Antec 12cm blue LED) and booted fine and ran a couple apps. I then launced Intel TAT and let it run a couple minutes under 100% load just to check my temps. Suddenly, the screen went black while everything else stayed on. I then tried to re-boot a couple times. I finally decided to clear the CMOS and I got to the bios menu, at which point the system froze. I then re-cleared the CMOS and got the system to start up again, but it needed to install the raid drivers. I put the disk in and hit CTRL ALT DEL to restart the setup and nothing happened. I have since powered down and restarted and cleared the CMOS again several times, but it won't even post now. Do you think the new fans could have caused the problem? My activity leds on my RAM show that I'm getting power, and all the fans work when powered on, but NOTHING on screen. PLEASE HELP

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
yeah, removing completely, reverting back to the old ones. Everything.

After reading some other posts I think the problem may have just been coincidence. I think the NB just crapped out and the problem got worse from there. I'm going to try a replacement and a 40mm fan on the NB to see if that's any better. I just hope my RAM, CPU ...etc are ok. It just seems that adding fewer than 5 watts by replacing 2 fans running off the MOBO would have caused the problem. BTW during TAT the fans usually spin up, but the time it crashed they didn't, then the whole thing died. Maybe that helps. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

twanto

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2002
Could it be a PSU failture. Maybe the fans put it over the top and it tripped out on your rig. I don't know, just a guess. What PSU are you running anyhow?

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The problem just got fixed. I think an extra molex to fan converter was shorting out against the case cause I'm careless and forgot to disconnect it after switching fans. I'm up and running on a replacement. Either way the MOBO is kaput. On the off chance it was a Northbridge failure I plan on using a 40mm fan on the NB if I clock it over 300 fsb. That sucker gets hot. Anyway, my OCZ game Xstream 700 is running just fine. Prime 95 is having no probs (knocks wood) and everything looks peachy. Just another example of how a little carelessness can cost plenty of time/money

TRENDING THREADS