Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

In need of a cooler for Core 2 Duo

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
  • Core
  • Cooling
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
December 9, 2006 2:16:09 AM

Well I'm looking for a decent heatsink. Possibly a mild overclock in the future. A lot of people say stock but mine must be broken or something since I get pretty high temps actually using core temp. Right now I'm getting high 40's low 50's.


Basically, looking for something affordable but will pay for something better.

If anyone can recomend me something that will fit in my Sonata II I'd be greatful.

More about : cooler core duo

December 9, 2006 3:01:54 AM

About a third of all threads in this forum are based on that same question, go read them up first.
December 9, 2006 3:07:46 AM

try this



seriously, if you are in the us go to new egg.
December 9, 2006 3:07:56 AM

arctic freezer 7 pro good and cheap install with arctic silver 5
December 9, 2006 3:09:18 AM

Quote:
arctic freezer 7 pro good and cheap install with arctic silver 5


i agree. though the as5 wont drop your temps by some magical 10c.
December 9, 2006 3:19:09 AM

The AC7 comes with MX-1 pre-applied, it will actually underperform with AS5...
December 9, 2006 3:28:13 AM

Quote:
The AC7 comes with MX-1 pre-applied, it will actually underperform with AS5...


i havent seen that in my experience.
they seem the same.

hey dario i asked in the thermalcompond section . no one replied.
but are you guys going to thermalcycle while testing?
December 9, 2006 4:35:25 AM

Yes, Ninja is already on it.
Several hours on load (Prime95), then turn off to cool it down, some hours on idle, and repeat.
December 9, 2006 2:16:53 PM

ok cool thanks.
December 9, 2006 2:20:40 PM

NP, make sure to comment your impressions once the review is done 8)
December 10, 2006 6:40:44 PM

My lack of shame seems to be rubbing off on you.
December 10, 2006 7:02:56 PM

Yeah, it seems so. Give these guys a preview on how things are going, just to plug it up a bit more.
December 10, 2006 7:17:20 PM

Well, I'm conducting the tests in two locations, in a temperature controlled, humidity regulated labratory and also in my home lab to compare tests under perfect conditions and the tests under normal conditions. I've run so many Prime95 torture tests that I've gotten calls from the UN to stop. I've tested everything from humidity, ambient air temp, ambient case temps, motherboard temps, heatsink temps, weight, mass, volume of pastes applied, methods, time, what I've eaten, even the location of the planets.
December 10, 2006 7:21:07 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm conducting the tests in two locations, in a temperature controlled, humidity regulated labratory and also in my home lab to compare tests under perfect conditions and the tests under normal conditions. I've run so many Prime95 torture tests that I've gotten calls from the UN to stop. I've tested everything from humidity, ambient air temp, ambient case temps, motherboard temps, heatsink temps, weight, mass, volume of pastes applied, methods, time, what I've eaten, even the location of the planets.


i dont know man, you sure thats thurough enough. :) 
December 10, 2006 7:23:47 PM

Meh. If anyone has the gall to tell me I tested something wrong.....
December 10, 2006 7:37:39 PM

Since Pluto isn't a planet anymore, you need to redo everything!
December 10, 2006 7:40:18 PM

If you're getting such high temps, there's an excellent chance the stock hsf isn't installed correctly. Intel's design makes it notoriously easy to not-quite-fully install the pins. It works best to install it on the MB with the MB out of the case, so you can support the back of the MB under the CPU and make sure the pins go all the way through.
Don't forget to clean off the old thermal compound and apply fresh stuff (AS5 if you need to buy some) when you take off the hsf to reinstall it.
December 10, 2006 10:32:51 PM

eeh I just wanted to hear that the Shin-Etsu is killing every other TIM...
December 10, 2006 10:45:25 PM

Hush you moron. :x
December 10, 2006 11:09:48 PM

:lol: 
*shops for some*
!