System Restore

January 7, 2005 12:53:44 PM

I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
a week for the next four months.

Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
How do I protect my restore point?

More about : system restore

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 2:16:47 PM

In news:1105120424.396785.13420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
Tom Penharston <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> typed:

>I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use
>it once
> a week for the next four months.
>
> Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard
> disk. My
> January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
> How do I protect my restore point?

You can't. The problem is not just that it will be overwritten,
but also that there is a maximum of 90 days that any restore
point will be kept.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 3:01:38 PM

One cannot selectively manipulate Restore Points. They are
only retained for 90 days, then first in, first out (deleted).

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Tom Penharston" wrote:

| I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
| a week for the next four months.
|
| Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
| January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
| How do I protect my restore point?
January 7, 2005 3:41:56 PM

Each week I will restore, and then I will create my own restore point
to be used the following week.

-Tom
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:09:18 PM

Hi

Restore points are automatically deleted after 90 days - 4 months is longer
than that. The only way to increase that value is via the Registry. That
option can't be altered via Control Panel or anywhere else. A Restore point
that old not be very good for your system - with regard to the Registry
always updating.

Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following:

NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

In the right hand column double click 'RPLifeInterval' and change the
Decimal Value. Default is 7,776,000 seconds (90 days). You'll have to
change it to whatever you want - in seconds.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
>I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
> a week for the next four months.
>
> Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
> January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
> How do I protect my restore point?

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 2:34:27 AM

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, this is not possible. You'd like to read the System Restore FAQ available here:

Can I make System Restore permanently store a restore point so it is always available to restore to?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/f...

For long-term registry backup/restore ability, you should consider using a third-party utility like ERUNT (freeware) available from : http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message news:1105120424.396785.13420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
a week for the next four months.

Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
How do I protect my restore point?
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:23:25 PM

Will

If the OP wishes to take up your advice might he need a larger hard disk
<g>?

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Hi
>
> Restore points are automatically deleted after 90 days - 4 months is
> longer than that. The only way to increase that value is via the
> Registry. That option can't be altered via Control Panel or anywhere
> else. A Restore point that old not be very good for your system -
> with regard to the Registry always updating.
>
> Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
>
> In the right hand column double click 'RPLifeInterval' and change the
> Decimal Value. Default is 7,776,000 seconds (90 days). You'll have
> to change it to whatever you want - in seconds.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it
>>once
>> a week for the next four months.
>>
>> Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
>> January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
>> How do I protect my restore point?

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:39:50 PM

The math(s) was beyond me!!

--

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Will
>
> If the OP wishes to take up your advice might he need a larger hard disk
> <g>?
>

> ~~~~~~
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> Hi
>>
>> Restore points are automatically deleted after 90 days - 4 months is
>> longer than that. The only way to increase that value is via the
>> Registry. That option can't be altered via Control Panel or anywhere
>> else. A Restore point that old not be very good for your system - with
>> regard to the Registry always updating.
>>
>> Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
>>
>> In the right hand column double click 'RPLifeInterval' and change the
>> Decimal Value. Default is 7,776,000 seconds (90 days). You'll have to
>> change it to whatever you want - in seconds.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>>I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
>>> a week for the next four months.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
>>> January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
>>> How do I protect my restore point?

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:28:44 PM

Tom Penharston wrote:

>Each week I will restore, and then I will create my own restore point
>to be used the following week.

As said - limit of 90 days. You can in effect turn off the automatic
generation of points *if* you do not use Task Scheduler, essential to
making them. Control Panel - Scheduler tasks, click the Advanced menu,
and click 'Stop using' (so it says 'Start using'. You will still be
able to make points manually

January 9, 2005 12:29:58 PM

There is on mine,except it's with SP2 installed. I doubt very much if it
was added on the SP2. I suggest you look again.

The full list is File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Advanced and Help.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
FCA