System Restore

I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
a week for the next four months.

Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
How do I protect my restore point?
9 answers Last reply
More about system restore

    In news:1105120424.396785.13420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
    Tom Penharston <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> typed:

    >I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use
    >it once
    > a week for the next four months.
    >
    > Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard
    > disk. My
    > January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
    > How do I protect my restore point?

    You can't. The problem is not just that it will be overwritten,
    but also that there is a maximum of 90 days that any restore
    point will be kept.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    One cannot selectively manipulate Restore Points. They are
    only retained for 90 days, then first in, first out (deleted).

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Tom Penharston" wrote:

    | I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
    | a week for the next four months.
    |
    | Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
    | January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
    | How do I protect my restore point?

    Each week I will restore, and then I will create my own restore point
    to be used the following week.

    -Tom

    Hi

    Restore points are automatically deleted after 90 days - 4 months is longer
    than that. The only way to increase that value is via the Registry. That
    option can't be altered via Control Panel or anywhere else. A Restore point
    that old not be very good for your system - with regard to the Registry
    always updating.

    Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following:

    NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore

    In the right hand column double click 'RPLifeInterval' and change the
    Decimal Value. Default is 7,776,000 seconds (90 days). You'll have to
    change it to whatever you want - in seconds.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
    > a week for the next four months.
    >
    > Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
    > January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
    > How do I protect my restore point?

    Hi Tom,

    Unfortunately, this is not possible. You'd like to read the System Restore FAQ available here:

    Can I make System Restore permanently store a restore point so it is always available to restore to?
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/faqsrwxp.mspx

    For long-term registry backup/restore ability, you should consider using a third-party utility like ERUNT (freeware) available from : http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message news:1105120424.396785.13420@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it once
    a week for the next four months.

    Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
    January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
    How do I protect my restore point?

    Will

    If the OP wishes to take up your advice might he need a larger hard disk
    <g>?

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    > Hi
    >
    > Restore points are automatically deleted after 90 days - 4 months is
    > longer than that. The only way to increase that value is via the
    > Registry. That option can't be altered via Control Panel or anywhere
    > else. A Restore point that old not be very good for your system -
    > with regard to the Registry always updating.
    >
    > Open the Registry Editor and navigate to the following:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    >
    > In the right hand column double click 'RPLifeInterval' and change the
    > Decimal Value. Default is 7,776,000 seconds (90 days). You'll have
    > to change it to whatever you want - in seconds.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Tom Penharston" <thinkpersuasion@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>I want to create a system restore point on January 12th and use it
    >>once
    >> a week for the next four months.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, storage is limited to 12 percent of the hard disk. My
    >> January 12th restore point will be overwritten by newer events.
    >> How do I protect my restore point?

    The math(s) was beyond me!!

    --

    Tom Penharston wrote:

    >Each week I will restore, and then I will create my own restore point
    >to be used the following week.

    As said - limit of 90 days. You can in effect turn off the automatic
    generation of points *if* you do not use Task Scheduler, essential to
    making them. Control Panel - Scheduler tasks, click the Advanced menu,
    and click 'Stop using' (so it says 'Start using'. You will still be
    able to make points manually

    There is on mine,except it's with SP2 installed. I doubt very much if it
    was added on the SP2. I suggest you look again.

    The full list is File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Advanced and Help.

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message

    > "Alex Nichol" <alexn.mvpdts@ntlworld.delete.com> wrote in message
    >> As said - limit of 90 days. You can in effect turn off the automatic
    >> generation of points *if* you do not use Task Scheduler, essential to
    >> making them. Control Panel - Scheduler tasks, click the Advanced
    >> menu,
    >> and click 'Stop using' (so it says 'Start using'. You will still be
    >> able to make points manually
    > =================
    > Please tell us which version of XP you are talking about, as this
    > doesn't
    > exist on WXP-Home w/Sp1. There is NO "Advanced Menu" on Schedule
    > Tasks.
    > What verson has it?
    >
    > FS
    > Completely FREE software:
    > http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist/index.htm

System Restore Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP