possible cpu problem

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
hello all

I just purchased a Amd 3800+ x2 dual core S939 and have found that during gaming it laggs really bad but after i'll restart everything is back to normal but a couple of hours of use and it will begin to lag again i have not had this problem b4 with my old processor nor have i overclocked this one.

I have tested the ram and it still occurs with only one ram stick in there

My system

amd 3800+ x2 s939
1x1gb pqi turbo ram 1x 512mb kingston generic 1x 512 kingmax = 2gb ram
ati 300x 256 pci express
generic 400w powersupply
2x 120gb hd
1x 300gb hd
lg dvd burner
gigabyte nforce 4 GA-k8nf-9

Any help would be much appreciated

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
It certainly seems that 3 different sticks of RAM is your problem.
Have you tried them all in all the fifferent combination of 1, 2 or 3 sticks?

Have you got another PC you could test the RAM sticks on?

Could you borrow any sticks of RAM to try in your machine?

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i think the problem was dued to overheating because the heat sinker wasn't making proper contact with the processor so i replaced it with the heat sinker from my previous processor and have monitored the temperature this is what i'll saw

idle 35 degrees celcius
100% load 54 degrees celcius = ran it for 30min

still monitoring the cpu temperature but i think the problem has been corrected

thanks for the help anyways

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I am very glad you got it sorted. I hope you cleaned off and renewed the thermal paste on the heatsink when you reseated it, otherwise you'll have another problem soon!

Cheers :D

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
ok on 2nd thought temperature are normal but i'll still encounter the problem the ram i doubt it could be it because i removed all but 1 ram stick and still encounted the problem :/ not sure what to do now

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Howeverm don't think your mixed ram is not a problem; you should have identical sticks, running in dual channel mode to get top performance.

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yea i well aware of that but when i purchase my 1gb ram stick it was $AUD 175 now its $AUD220 :'( so i canblized my other computer system for the ram

not sure but i've installed the amd dual core optmiser thing and so far haven't encounted the problem i'm still monitoring the computer and testing it to see if it will appear again

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
yea i well aware of that but when i purchase my 1gb ram stick it was $AUD 175 now its $AUD220 :'( so i canblized my other computer system for the ram

not sure but i've installed the amd dual core optmiser thing and so far haven't encounted the problem i'm still monitoring the computer and testing it to see if it will appear again

This was an upgrade, then? Re-install Windows, do a full reformat while you're at it.

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well i've downloaded the windows patch as well and might as well install it but yea this is a upgrade can't really format because 120gb drive thats got less than 5gb remaining space and no other drive or external media that can hold that much so i won't be formating unless i get a new hard drive

edit: i was unware that i had to patch the os so....^^'

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yes i'm well aware of that is just i've gotten rusty in the terms of computing because i haven't had to diagnois or format in ages and i mean it the only time i did a formating was when i was tranfering over stuff from my old computer to my new one and that was about 2 years ago

i'm well aware of the defragment issue and i know it can cause my pc to slow down quiet a bit but i have 3 hd 2x 120gb and 1x300gb and a dvd burner hooked up i know i can get a sata but it would require a new psu as all power connector are being used i have thought about geting external hd that connect to usb but i would have to invest in a hole new power boards as i only have 2 powerpoints in my room sharing my computer,tv,vcr,dvd,sound system not to mention mobile phone chargers

but yea its been ages since i've defraged ^^' should try to find a suitable setup maybe get a 10000rpm 30gb hd drive and set it up as windows system only that way i won't have to defrag so often

Animefreak

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
hehehe i know defraging isn't bad but last time it took 3 hours :'( but yea i think my cpu problem is fixed all i had to do was dl the amd optimser and the windows dualcore hotfix so far its been running normally since yesterday and today

and i will give that auslogics disk defrag a go after i move some stuff to free up 15%