HP Unveils $170 Android Tablet Slate 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Another me-too tablet with a low screen resolution. Being able to discern individual pixels in a screen is not compelling. It probably has a whole 1GB of RAM too. Sheesh. Aren't there enough of the low-end devices already?

G

I agree. Apple has already demonstrated that people are much more attracted to gorgeous, fluid animations and crisp graphics. Plus I can't understand the fixation with cameras on a device that doesn't fit in your pocket. Camera are fine for phones and... uh... cameras. They could easily remove the rear-camera and make it a higher resolution screen. And even though I understand this is an entry-level product to be sold for people who probably never owned a tablet before, I stand by the fact that the user-experience should be way ahead of any technical specifications. A low-res screen is, flat out, a poor experience.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
What's the point HP ?
Missed the resolution by...that much... as Maxwell Smart would say.

1280x720 have any meaning to your engineers and bean counters ?

halcyon

Splendid
It's a 7-incher ...how 'bout at least 1920x1080 and 2GB of RAM? As if that's just too high-end. Okay, go ahead and charge $250-$300 for such. It'd sell just fine.

ugh, again with the cheap moves to drive a profit margin... probably had to price in this range to compete with the now cheaper nexus7 and samsung gs tab 2. to the average joe I guess one can miss the resolution difference, but still I'm disappointed in HP for this poorly designed device just so they can say that they have an android tablet

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Yes HP may have an established brand but why tarnish it with crappy products? I am sorry HP you guys NEED to do better.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
HP - after failing to sell any of this junk - will call this a dead market and move on. I mean these are the same folks that spent 2B on WebOS and then shelved it...lol

halcyon

Splendid
I've never been an HP fan (and had an Aunt that spent her whole career there). There products (outside of printers, that is) never ever seemed to be the best of the bunch. ...this tablet is just another shining example of that.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
It always amazes me how people will complain about a tablet/phone that has a perceived pixel density of 60 PPI or so, then they'll go buy a laptop or computer monitor with a pixel density around 35 PPI.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]It always amazes me how people will complain about a tablet/phone that has a perceived pixel density of 60 PPI or so, then they'll go buy a laptop or computer monitor with a pixel density around 35 PPI.[/citation]
Well, a couple of things....

1) We tend to sit further away from our monitors and TV's so the lower PPI isn't so noticable
2) We often do have much choice, outside of Apple and their Retina Display'd MacBook Pros (and some are so prejudiced against Apple that they'd not admittedly take a MacBook Pro with a smooth Retina Display even if it was given to them).

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
it is an hp what do you want? i appreciate the expandable memory, and at $170 it will compete with btu not quite match up to the kindle fire and nexus 7 but as it is cheaper and people know the brand hp i imagine it will actually do well. hp doesn't make the best products but they also are nto know for making throw away products either so based on their rep and the cheap price not a bad intro, but i do hope they also offer some more high end tablets

slate kelley

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Another Android tablet maker making strides to offer quality Android tablets at competitive prices is Ainol Electronics - which won runner-up for "Best Tablet of the Year" at CES 2012, and this month has introduced the Novo Quad Core Series of Android tablets -- including the Novo 7 Venus which launched this week, with one U.S. reseller - a site called TabletSprint - offering this new model for $149.

The Novo 7 Venus compares to the Nexus 7 tablet but for considerably less - matching key features, including a Quad Core processor, a high resolution multi-touch 1280x800 IPS screen, 16GB memory, a front webcam, Android O/S and Google Play Store preinstalled -- while also offering a number of features the Nexus 7 doesn't - including a 2-megapixel rear camera, a MicroSD memory card slot, and an HDMI 1080p port to download and watch movies directly from a tablet on a large screen TV and also play video games on to a big screen; plus more ways to connect to the internet, including Ethernet as well as 3G/4G Wireless connection with a USB adapter.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]It always amazes me how people will complain about a tablet/phone that has a perceived pixel density of 60 PPI or so, then they'll go buy a laptop or computer monitor with a pixel density around 35 PPI.[/citation]
Where do you buy a computer/laptop display with 35 or even 60PPI? 1080p on a 24" monitor (most common among mainstream displays) or 720p on a 15" monitor (most common on budget/mid-range laptops) are both roughly 110 PPI.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

Who are these people?

Status
Not open for further replies.