Did I damage my CPU during install?

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I posted earlier in a thread regarding problems installing a Core 2 Duo CPU into a stubborn socket, and figured out how to seat the CPU into the socket. I think I may have forced it in too hard though. I pulled the CPU back out after having heard a scrunching sound from the socket, to check for damage.

The pins appeared to be fine, but the contacts where each pin meets have pin scores on them. The pin scores do not all fit exactly into the centers of the contacts, but vary a slight amount across the contacts. Is this acceptable?

I want to check if the mobo/CPU are fine before installing everything into the case, so I'm wondering what are the least number of things I can install to check this. Right now I have the HD, vid card, memory and CPU/heatsink installed (as well as the PWR, RESET and HD indicator connections).

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I tried booting into the bios with only the cpu, vid card and memory installed. The fan on the cpu heatsink came on as did the video card fan, but other than that, nothing happened on the monitor I hooked up. So, I guess I broke the CPU (there goes $300, yippee). Any chance the mobo socket is damaged even if the pins look undamaged?

Or could there be something I missing and this little test I did doesn't mean anything?

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
What are the components?

Maybe RAM causing the system not to boot.

Also, Most 775 motherboards, do require some force to install the CPU, as did mine.

Gigabyte DS3 mobo, eVGA 7950gt vid card, Corsair Dominator XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 memory, E6600. I'll try taking the sticks out.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I have the DS3 and all you have to do is line up the pins and gently lower it and it should go right in. I missed my first time, so I gently nudged it with my finger and it slid into place. When I pulled the lever there was some resistance but no crunching sound. Someone told me that it takes a lot to destroy the pins on the processor. Check the other components just in case. What PSU do yo have?

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I have the DS3 and all you have to do is line up the pins and gently lower it and it should go right in. I missed my first time, so I gently nudged it with my finger and it slid into place. When I pulled the lever there was some resistance but no crunching sound. Someone told me that it takes a lot to destroy the pins on the processor. Check the other components just in case. What PSU do yo have?

What do you mean slid into place? I just set it down right on socket and it seemed to fit. I didn't really feel it sink in or anything. What exactly was the difference in feel and look between it missing and sinking into place?

Also I have a Hiper 580W PSU.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was shaking a little when I was lowering the cpu onto the socket. When I was basically touching the pins (the cpu) I dropped it in and it was slightly off center, so I just slightly flicked it to center it. When the cpu was in the socket, it looked a little high. Like a construction crew filling in a pothole...at first its a little bumpy where they filled it so they need to smooth it out. After the cpu is in the socket, to smooth it out, I turned the lever and locked the cpu into place.
When you lowered the socket into place and matched the pins it should of fit snuggly into place. But when you used the lever to lock the cpu into the socket you will feel some resistance and a faint crunching noise. Snapping sound----> not good. When I first did my build, a few guys in the forum said that its not easy snapping the pins and/or damaging it as well as the cpu.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
First of all,a ZIF socket stands for "zero insertion force".Which means you should be able to place the processor in the socket WITHOUT having to force it in.It should just drop in by itself.I,on ocassion have held the processor down while I secure it,but I've never forced it into the socket.Chances are you did damage to the processor,and if you have to force a new processor into the socket,then you might want to buy a new MB as the socket may be no good.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
First of all,a ZIF socket stands for "zero insertion force".Which means you should be able to place the processor in the socket WITHOUT having to force it in.It should just drop in by itself.I,on ocassion have held the processor down while I secure it,but I've never forced it into the socket.Chances are you did damage to the processor,and if you have to force a new processor into the socket,then you might want to buy a new MB as the socket may be no good.Goodluck.

Does anyone else want to address this guys statement. I actually dont think I can do it without making him feel uber stupit. hehe :)

I guess I will just offer him this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

weevil

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I was shaking a little when I was lowering the cpu onto the socket. When I was basically touching the pins (the cpu) I dropped it in and it was slightly off center, so I just slightly flicked it to center it. When the cpu was in the socket, it looked a little high. Like a construction crew filling in a pothole...at first its a little bumpy where they filled it so they need to smooth it out. After the cpu is in the socket, to smooth it out, I turned the lever and locked the cpu into place.
When you lowered the socket into place and matched the pins it should of fit snuggly into place. But when you used the lever to lock the cpu into the socket you will feel some resistance and a faint crunching noise. Snapping sound----> not good. When I first did my build, a few guys in the forum said that its not easy snapping the pins and/or damaging it as well as the cpu.

Ok, yeah that sounds like what happened with me. I had to bend the socket cover down a bit so it would properly sit on the CPU, and was worried it was still bent up too much and thus I used too much force when putting the lever into place. I heard a small scrunching noise and wasn't sure if it was bad or not. Didn't hear a snap. The pins all look fine too.

But when I connected the mobo to the PSU and put my vid card in and ocnnected it to the monitor, I turned it on and only got the fans on the cpu and vid card to spin up, and nothing showed up on the monitor. I'm assuming this means one or both of the CPU/mobo were damaged (or maybe even one was DOA) so I'm RMA'ing both.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I posted earlier in a thread regarding problems installing a Core 2 Duo CPU into a stubborn socket, and figured out how to seat the CPU into the socket. I think I may have forced it in too hard though. I pulled the CPU back out after having heard a scrunching sound from the socket, to check for damage.

The pins appeared to be fine, but the contacts where each pin meets have pin scores on them. The pin scores do not all fit exactly into the centers of the contacts, but vary a slight amount across the contacts. Is this acceptable?

I want to check if the mobo/CPU are fine before installing everything into the case, so I'm wondering what are the least number of things I can install to check this. Right now I have the HD, vid card, memory and CPU/heatsink installed (as well as the PWR, RESET and HD indicator connections).
Never force anything :roll:

On initial CPU contact with pins, they won't line up spot on.

But when the CPU is seated under slight tension. the contacts will line up.

Intel should design a program in Windows that checks all CPU/MB pin continuity.

This would confirm CPU/MB 100% operational.

I bet that if certain pins were not making contact, CPU would still be operational but not 100%.

I know that LGA is the way to go in the future, but the previous setup with Intel and current AM2 sockets (pins on CPU), is a better safer design.

MB socket connections protected in socket and CPU pins (long) are relatively strong and don't bend that easy.

"weevil" - if you don't trust CPU and MB, sell them, lose a bit of $$ and buy new. Start again and this time be carefull :oops:

If you buy the new CPU/MB from a PC building store, they will instal the CPU for you for no charge usually, if you don't want to do it yourself.

But make sure a qualified technician fits it for you - not the floor sweeper :lol:

Major_Spittle

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006

Dahak

No pins on cpu, No holes in socket, No insertion, and a slight amount of force.

If the poster of this thread heard crunching noise, this leads me to believe that the Key on the CPU and Socket were not aligned and he munched the CPU's fiber board thingy the die are mounted too. While this is not a technical term, I am sure it means something to him.

The moral of the story is "Don't put the square peg in the round hole".

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Please read this link 8O

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/box_processors/desktop/proc_dsk_p4/technical_reference/99345.htm

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
any lights go on ( on the mobo)? What PSU are you using? Wattage? Just trying to eliminate the usual then unfortunatly you did break the cpu.

RMA it. When you get a new one just be careful....use 2 fingers to hold the cpu...use your other hand to hold yourself steady and gently and slowly lower and lower till you get to the socket and place it down, if it didnt set on the pins I dont pick it up, i just slowly and gently nudge it to the proper spot when it sits in its home!

This was why I got the e6300 since it was my first build. The other guy is right though, if your afraid of breaking another one, have a computer technician do it. COMPUSA/BESTBUY will probably charge you though and the cracking sound ssounds like the die.

How does everything else fair...checked the other components?

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
You broke it and the main board is also a culprit.So do yourself a favour and replace both the cpu and mb and you should be good to go.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X EVGA 7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
COOLERMASTER MINI R120

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
..and use a wriststrap for anti-static too. If you didn't when you installed it before that could be the real reason for your cpu not firing up.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I tried booting into the bios with only the cpu, vid card and memory installed. The fan on the cpu heatsink came on as did the video card fan, but other than that, nothing happened on the monitor I hooked up. So, I guess I broke the CPU (there goes $300, yippee). Any chance the mobo socket is damaged even if the pins look undamaged?

Or could there be something I missing and this little test I did doesn't mean anything?

The cpu doesn't have "pins." If the cpu was misaligned, not dropped between the guides, then upon being pushed in, the pins on the motherboard may mark the land area between the CPU's contacts. It is much much more likely that the motherboard was damaged than the CPU.. look closely again at the MB contact pins along the edge nearest the pressure lever hinge..And if the motherboard pin assembly was damaged upon the first try of installing the CPU then the CPU is probably never going to mount properly. I'm not sure why all the replies seem to suggest that the CPU would be damaged rather than the motherboard connector. It doesn't work that way!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Could be wrong, but I thought that 'zif' referred to cpu's and sockets with pins and holes? Since 'lga' refers to 'ball and socket' type cpu's... Don't think this applies.

I'd guess (from the number of cases raised over this type of issue) that the MB manf's are having a hard time properly aligning sockets....

Just my 2p.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I guess I should have read a little more closely.I didn't realize he was talking 775.My apologies to all,especially weevil.Goodluck.

Dahak

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

Please read this link 8O

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/box_processors/desktop/proc_dsk_p4/technical_reference/99345.htm

There is a HOW TO video link within that long read for installing a 775. I will start a thread with that link so peeps can DL it.

TRENDING THREADS