Hi

How does one set up EMS memory in XP in order to run old DOS programs that
require it?

There is no EMM386 any more!

Regards
chaver

There also is no MSDOS in XP. There is only an emulation. There is no
restart in MSDOS option.

I run DOS programs on my XP in Microsoft Virtual PC 2004. You can run all
versions of Windows that way as well. Ditto for most versions of Linux.

My DOS virtual machine runs in its own window right on my XP desktop at the
click of the mouse. Take a look at VPC. It does away with the need to keep
old hardware around for running DOS programs. Caveat: some old DOS games
are better run in DosBox.

Colin Havercroft wrote:

>How does one set up EMS memory in XP in order to run old DOS programs that
>require it?

For best DOS conventional memory b(and EMM) , edit the
windows\system32\config.nt and autoexec.nt files.

In config.nt have (apart from the large number of REM lines) just
EMM = B=4000 RAM
(note the exact spaces - either side of the first = and before RAM,
none next to the second =) and

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40
(or higher files= if needed)

and in autoexec.nt have

REM Install DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx

with other earlier lh lines REM ed out, and then any SET or PATH lines
that may already be present at the end.

This should give about 612K for a program, run from a shortcut made to
its .exe file. R-click the shortcut, Properties and on the Memory page
you can set an explicit value - rather than Auto - for any EMM or XMS
memory it may need, and for initial environment space