Caution!-GE EasyCam Pro driver rendered Win98 system unboo..

I bought one of these on sale at Target for $25, it works fine on my Win
XP system. Had my parents get one, they run Win 98 SE on a Dell
Dimension desktop. Their computer exceeded all the system requirements.
My dad turned off his Norton anti-virus, popped in the driver disc
(no, he didn't plug the camera in first, he followed the instructions
exactly) and installed the drivers, then rebooted- his computer made it
as far as the desktop background image, the Windows startup music,then
it stopped. No taskbar, no icons. He could alt-crl-del and restart,
that was about it. Same thing when he tried safe mode- no taskbar or
icons. Also tried using a startup floppy and his windows cd-rom just to
restore the operating system, couldn't do that either. He'll either
reformat or buy a new drive and install windows and save the old drive
to recover his data. An expensive mistake. The fine folks at GE/Jasco
couldn't offer any more than "sometimes it just won't work."
Win98 users, buy with caution if at all!!!

maybe win98 hold down CTRL when booting then from dos prompt
scanreg /?
scanreg /restore
and go back to a registry with date before installing the gotcha driver.

bumtracks wrote:
> maybe win98 hold down CTRL when booting then from dos prompt
> scanreg /?
> scanreg /restore
> and go back to a registry with date before installing the gotcha driver.
>
> "Phuc Tup" <world_of_woodman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I bought one of these on sale at Target for $25, it works fine on my Win
>>XP system. Had my parents get one, they run Win 98 SE on a Dell
>>Dimension desktop. Their computer exceeded all the system requirements.
>> My dad turned off his Norton anti-virus, popped in the driver disc
>>(no, he didn't plug the camera in first, he followed the instructions
>>exactly) and installed the drivers, then rebooted- his computer made it
>>as far as the desktop background image, the Windows startup music,then
>>it stopped. No taskbar, no icons. He could alt-crl-del and restart,
>>that was about it. Same thing when he tried safe mode- no taskbar or
>>icons. Also tried using a startup floppy and his windows cd-rom just to
>>restore the operating system, couldn't do that either. He'll either
>>reformat or buy a new drive and install windows and save the old drive
>>to recover his data. An expensive mistake. The fine folks at GE/Jasco
>>couldn't offer any more than "sometimes it just won't work."
>>Win98 users, buy with caution if at all!!!

Success!
Tried scanreg, it didn't work. I had him delete the drivers from DOS,
still no good. I couldn't get system file checker (sfc) to run.
He spent an hour on the phone with Microsoft- doesn't remember
specifically what he did (they'll email a transcript, I'll post that
when he gets it), said they ran through DOS again similar to the way I
had him try, after several reboots, it worked! Microsoft phone tech
told him driver software had corrupted explorer.exe. Only cost $35!
They asked if he wanted to try to reinstall the camera, he took a pass
on that, LOL.

Thanks for tips