POcket PC2003 or Windows CE

March 11, 2005 9:50:14 PM

Hi,

Someone earlier asked what language to write in. I assumed that Windows
CE was Pocket PC - I am obviously wrong (I think).

I assumed that Windows CE (which somebody once told me stood for Compact
Edition) would be the version on my PDA.

Would somebody outline the difference?

Many thanks

Gareth

More about : pocket pc2003 windows

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:50:15 PM

"Gareth Edmondson" <gareth@spickandspam.indigo-cube.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Someone earlier asked what language to write in. I assumed that Windows CE
> was Pocket PC - I am obviously wrong (I think).
>
> I assumed that Windows CE (which somebody once told me stood for Compact
> Edition) would be the version on my PDA.
>
> Would somebody outline the difference?

Pocket PC is Windows CE, but windows CE may not be Pocket PC.

That is, Pocket PC is nomenclature applied to later versions of Windows CE
only. Add to the mix the phrase "windows Mobile 2003", which is another
branding of Windows CE, but with some specific phone functionalty added in.

Clear as mud?

BTW, CE does not stand for anything, despite "compact edition" fitting quite
nicely.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:59:40 PM

Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC came out
the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since then,
Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known as Windows
Mobile 2003) have been released.

There are some differences between the versions due to the use of different
microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are often
packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so that
they will work on most of the major brands.

"Gareth Edmondson" <gareth@spickandspam.indigo-cube.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Someone earlier asked what language to write in. I assumed that Windows CE
> was Pocket PC - I am obviously wrong (I think).
>
> I assumed that Windows CE (which somebody once told me stood for Compact
> Edition) would be the version on my PDA.
>
> Would somebody outline the difference?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Gareth
March 11, 2005 11:59:41 PM

Larry Gadbois wrote:

> Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC came out
> the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since then,
> Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known as Windows
> Mobile 2003) have been released.
>
> There are some differences between the versions due to the use of different
> microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are often
> packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so that
> they will work on most of the major brands.

All Pocket PC 2002 and 2003 devices are ARM or compatible with ARM
(Xscale). Only the old 2000 Pocket PC supported more than one hardware
architecture.

Pocket PC has specific tools and dll's installed that are not present
for WinCE so if any of these are utilized the resultant application will
not run on a WinCE device. Generally a WinCE program will run on a
Pocket PC machine if the programmer is aware of Pocket PC idiocyncronies.

Dale

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

Larry Gadbois wrote:
> Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC came out
> the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since then,
> Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known as Windows
> Mobile 2003) have been released.
>
> There are some differences between the versions due to the use of different
> microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are often
> packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so that
> they will work on most of the major brands.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for that. My Dell Axim X50v is running Pocket PC 2003 CE. I
assume my old SPVE200 from Orange was running Windows Mobile 2003.

Thanks for your answer,

Regards

Gareth Edmondson
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:22:12 PM

Larry Gadbois wrote:
> Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC came out
> the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since then,
> Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known as Windows
> Mobile 2003) have been released.
>
> There are some differences between the versions due to the use of different
> microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are often
> packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so that
> they will work on most of the major brands.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for that. My Dell Axim X50v is running Pocket PC 2003 CE. I
assume my old SPVE200 from Orange was running Windows Mobile 2003.

Thanks for your answer,

Regards

Gareth Edmondson
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 4:23:39 PM

> Pocket PC is Windows CE, but windows CE may not be Pocket PC.
>
> That is, Pocket PC is nomenclature applied to later versions of Windows CE
> only. Add to the mix the phrase "windows Mobile 2003", which is another
> branding of Windows CE, but with some specific phone functionalty added in.
>
> Clear as mud?
>
> BTW, CE does not stand for anything, despite "compact edition" fitting quite
> nicely.

Right, I'm with you. So would applications that were to be developed on
Pocket PC run straight off on a Windows CE device? But not vice versa?

Thanks for your reply,

Best wishes

Gareth Edmondson
Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:33:39 AM

So is Windows Mobile 2003 the same as Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 or
Pocket PC 2003? This is all confusing if you don't know the history. I was not
able to find any differential descriptions at Microsoft

I've got 1 piece of software for my PC that will also load onto a mobile device
with the following requirements:
A handheld device running Pocket PC 2002 or 2003
-1.55MB (ROM) on Pocket PC 2002
-1.35 MB (ROM) on windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 or Windows CE.NET devices.

I'm considering a Dell Axim X30 and want to know if this will work. Link to
specks below:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
--
Roy
rem NADA to reply

"Larry Gadbois" <lgadbois@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC came out
| the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since then,
| Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known as Windows
| Mobile 2003) have been released.
|
| There are some differences between the versions due to the use of different
| microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are often
| packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so that
| they will work on most of the major brands.
|

| "Gareth Edmondson" <gareth@spickandspam.indigo-cube.co.uk> wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > Someone earlier asked what language to write in. I assumed that Windows CE
| > was Pocket PC - I am obviously wrong (I think).
| >
| > I assumed that Windows CE (which somebody once told me stood for Compact
| > Edition) would be the version on my PDA.
| >
| > Would somebody outline the difference?
| >
| > Many thanks
| >
| > Gareth

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 12:09:50 PM

Why not just try?
If you try and install it will either work, or not work. If it doesn't
work it is not compatible. No harm done.

"Roy Brown" <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote in message
| So is Windows Mobile 2003 the same as Windows Mobile for Pocket PC
2003 or
| Pocket PC 2003? This is all confusing if you don't know the history.
I was not
| able to find any differential descriptions at Microsoft
|
| I've got 1 piece of software for my PC that will also load onto a
mobile device
| with the following requirements:
| A handheld device running Pocket PC 2002 or 2003
| -1.55MB (ROM) on Pocket PC 2002
| -1.35 MB (ROM) on windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 or Windows CE.NET
devices.

| I'm considering a Dell Axim X30 and want to know if this will work.
Link to
| specks below:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
| --
| Roy
| rem NADA to reply
|

| "Larry Gadbois" <lgadbois@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| | Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC
came out
| | the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since
then,
| | Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known
as Windows
| | Mobile 2003) have been released.
| |
| | There are some differences between the versions due to the use of
different
| | microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are
often
| | packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so
that
| | they will work on most of the major brands.
| |
| |
| | "Gareth Edmondson" <gareth@spickandspam.indigo-cube.co.uk> wrote in
message
| | > Hi,
| | >
| | > Someone earlier asked what language to write in. I assumed that
Windows CE
| | > was Pocket PC - I am obviously wrong (I think).
| | >
| | > I assumed that Windows CE (which somebody once told me stood for
Compact
| | > Edition) would be the version on my PDA.
| | >
| | > Would somebody outline the difference?
| | >
| | > Many thanks
| | >
| | > Gareth
| |
| |

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 2:02:05 PM

Good suggestion. I'll see if the person selling the X30 will let me try that.
I did not want to buy the X30 if it won't work with the one piece of software
that I was mainly buying the PPC for.
--
Roy
rem NADA to reply

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 1gqdt$800$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
| Why not just try?
| If you try and install it will either work, or not work. If it doesn't
| work it is not compatible. No harm done.
|

| "Roy Brown" <roybrown@sympatico.caNADA> wrote in message
|| So is Windows Mobile 2003 the same as Windows Mobile for Pocket PC
| 2003 or
|| Pocket PC 2003? This is all confusing if you don't know the history.
| I was not
|| able to find any differential descriptions at Microsoft
|| I've got 1 piece of software for my PC that will also load onto a
| mobile device
|| with the following requirements:
|| A handheld device running Pocket PC 2002 or 2003
|| -1.55MB (ROM) on Pocket PC 2002
|| -1.35 MB (ROM) on windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 or Windows CE.NET
| devices.
|| I'm considering a Dell Axim X30 and want to know if this will work.
| Link to
|| specks below:

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/productdetails...
|| --
|| Roy
|| rem NADA to reply
|| "Larry Gadbois" <lgadbois@earthlink.net> wrote in message
|| | Windows CE was introduced with the Palmtop PCs. When the Pocket PC
| came out
|| | the system was updated and released as Windows for Pocket PC. Since
| then,
|| | Pocket PC 2002, Pocket PC 2003, and Pocket PC 2003 SE (also known
| as Windows
|| | Mobile 2003) have been released.
|| |
|| | There are some differences between the versions due to the use of
| different
|| | microprocessors and systems designs. Programs for Pocket PCs are
| often
|| | packaged with modules for two or three different microprocessors so
| that
|| | they will work on most of the major brands.
|| |
|| |
|| | "Gareth Edmondson" <gareth@spickandspam.indigo-cube.co.uk> wrote in
| message