Sign in with
Your question

The best gaming mouse?

Last response: in Components

Which is the best mouse, particularly for gaming?

Total: 456 votes (267 blank votes)

• Logitech G5 Laser Mouse
  • 51 %
  • Logitech G7 Cordless Laser Mouse
  • 14 %
  • Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse
  • 12 %
  • Razer Copperhead 2000DPI Laser Mouse
  • 25 %
December 9, 2006 11:31:31 AM

OK so Im looking at getting a new mouse , and I want to ge the best thats out there , Particularly for gaming. So Id like everyones oppinions on which mice are the best, particularly if you have used one or more of the listed mice.Also if there is a mouse that i have left out that you think is the best please do let me know.
Also if anyone has any links to anyreviews that compare these mice alot . That would be appreciated.

Everyones oppinions are much appreciated.

More about : gaming mouse

December 9, 2006 3:13:46 PM

I voted G5 because I'm not a fan of wireless mice and keyboards when it comes to gaming. For shooters I can't stand even the slightest lag/wakeup, and I'm just a moderate gamer. I haven't tried the expensive highend cordless mice but I'm unwilling to invest in something I'll probably have to return.
December 9, 2006 4:23:55 PM

You should also look into te Logitech MX518. It is fairly cheap for a pretty good gaming mouse.
Related resources
December 9, 2006 4:55:05 PM

I have the mx518 for over a year now. Trust me, you won't be using anything more than 1600 dpi. Hell, I don't even use more than 1100dpi
Combine that with a good gamepad and you are good to go. I don't like wireless mice, they lag no matter what they say. If you are right handed go for g5 or mx518.
December 10, 2006 12:58:34 PM

I have used many mice such as logitech G5 G1 MX500 MX310 MX300 and
microsoft IE3.0 IO1.1 WMO etc;as different kinds of games demand different action velocity and rhythm,you should select the mouse that satisfies your require.For example if you'd like to play RTS game the G1 will be my recommend as because of it's light weight and precision tracking;however the mice such as mx500 IE3 G5 have more mass inertia to keep a more reliable control for the FPS game.
December 10, 2006 1:47:02 PM

The G5 is by far the best mouse I have used for gaming sessions. Comfortable, accurate, smooth, fast, custom weights, and change dpi during gaming.
December 10, 2006 1:54:17 PM

Need to add the MX510/518 to your poll. Coupled with a Steelpad 5L, it's gaming comfort on a cloud..........
December 10, 2006 2:21:58 PM

all should know that intellimouse explorer 3.0 is THE mouse above all mouses :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
December 10, 2006 2:25:16 PM

logitech definately. model is your choice.
I've had the MX1000 for ages and it rocks.
December 10, 2006 2:51:36 PM

Quote:
I have the mx518 for over a year now. Trust me, you won't be using anything more than 1600 dpi. Hell, I don't even use more than 1100dpi
Combine that with a good gamepad and you are good to go. I don't like wireless mice, they lag no matter what they say. If you are right handed go for g5 or mx518.

It depends on your resolution. My old computer had a res of 1024x768 and I had my G5 set to like uhh 1200 dpi for games and 800 on the desktop. Anything else was just too high. But now that my res is 1600x1200, I have it set to 2000 dpi all the time because there's more pixels to move across. I didn't understand how people could use 2000 dpi until I got my new monitor.

I voted the G5. It fits my hand perfectly, very precise, has custom weights, it's just perfect. The Razer looks nice but I would still pick the G5 over it.
December 10, 2006 2:55:17 PM

i voted for the revolution
i have it almost two months now and it's just perfect for gaming and desktop use.
i suggest before you buy a mouse, try it yourself because all hands are different.
December 10, 2006 3:19:14 PM

I have the older mx1000 which doesn't have the dpi of the g5 or newer logitech models - but its sensitivity and long battery life more than make up for it. On maybe light use (1-2 hours a day) the battery would probably last 3 weeks before a recharge. I've had it a year and a half and out of 3 green bar levels I have never used it past 2.
December 10, 2006 3:21:06 PM

Quote:
i have it almost two months now and it's just perfect for gaming and desktop use.
i suggest before you buy a mouse, try it yourself because all hands are different.

I've felt your mouse at Best Buy and I can only see it as a big step up from my mx1000. What's the battery life like?
December 10, 2006 3:53:49 PM

Quote:
The G5 is by far the best mouse I have used for gaming sessions. Comfortable, accurate, smooth, fast, custom weights, and change dpi during gaming.

Ditto.

I used the Razor for a month before the lens started to get dirty already. So it was junk.

The G5 I have had for almost 8 months now. Not a problem yet. Very comfortable for gaming. Which is what I do most of the time when online.

If your a Battlefield person as I am. The DPI instant increase and decrease comes in handy when moving a turret of a tank.

Do yourself a favor, get one from Newegg.com. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

It's $45.99 shipped. Or go to your local best buy and pay $73.99. lol.

I have been playing games online since Quake 3 Arena came out. A long time ago. Hey it was the first real FPS game. I've been through so many types of mice. This G5 is by far the best! I just bought one the other day for my bro's kid for C-Mass. :) 
December 10, 2006 5:47:36 PM

Quote:

I've felt your mouse at Best Buy and I can only see it as a big step up from my mx1000. What's the battery life like?

i use the mouse about 5 hours a day and it lasts 7 days, no problem for me :) 
i recharges in 1.5 hours i think, may be a lil bit less/more

and the scroll wheel is so cool 8)
December 10, 2006 7:05:02 PM

Quote:

Ive heard that its supposed to be a little big and heavy for gaming, making the reaction times slower, do you find this? Also Ive read that the thumb scroll wheel gets in the way sometimes . do you find that?

Also all of those people mentioning the weights in the G5 . Do you really find that very usefull? To me it just seems gimmicky.

By the way . I intend playing mainly fps's with it such as battlefield and Cs 1.6

cheers
chris.
December 11, 2006 10:20:16 AM

i play cs with it, and i'm happy with it's weight, but that't just my personal favor for big and heavy mouses
i'm not having problems with the thumb wheel, and even if you do, you can turn it off while playing games.
December 11, 2006 10:55:22 AM

voted for the copperhead from razer, I tried the G5 and the copperhead and just found the copperhead more to my liking, it just felt more comfortable for me personally. If you have friends with either of these you should try them out as you really want to use a mouse that you are comfortable with, some people prefer the G5 over the copperhead in this respect, I didn't, all down to personal taste.

Accuracy wise both of them seemed the same to me.
December 11, 2006 11:43:45 AM

Get a Logitech G5 or mx518. Most pro gamers use one or the other from my understanding. mx518 has an extra button, so that can be helpful. I personally use a G5, but I may have gone with an mx518 if I had known about them (they're older and cheaper actually).

Edit: And you should get a Steelpad QcK mousepad as well. They're truly the best.
December 11, 2006 12:13:20 PM

Either the Logitech G5 or the MX518 would work. I personally don't like the G5 because of the fact that it only has 1 side button. I like to have one of those side buttons for Ventrilo and the other for some important action in whatever game I'm playing but I can't do that with the G5. The MX518, however, gives me that second button that I feel helps my control setups.
December 11, 2006 12:44:45 PM

MX518 will be a very good one (cheaper than G5/G7 too) and G5 perhaps will be depend on the taste (you want easier access to res change + 2 buttons (left-right) on scrollwheel on G5 or more side buttons on thumb on MX518?)

as for the DPI issue, what I can tell you is I don't like the notion of installing additional drivers/software, so I personally use 400/800/1600

Edit: I just got my new G5 for less than $40 on Tuesday , sorry about the cheaper part.
December 11, 2006 12:57:11 PM

I am so surprised how many people prefer the G5 to the G7. I wonder if they just purchased the mouse before the G7 came out, or maybe because it's cheaper? Although less so now than in the past.

I confess, the G7's battery life is not nearly as long as some mentioned in this post (maybe 4 or 5 hours of solid gaming, but I have never measured it honestly). However, because it comes with two batteries I find this to be a minor inconvenience. I imagine there must be SOME lag with this cordless mouse, but I honestly cannot notice it. I have been using it for months now, and I would NEVER go back to a corded mouse. the cords have always driven me crazy, and I was always aware of the feel of the wire drag (even when I reduced it as much as I could).

I can switch my mouse battery so fast, I do not die even in BF2. True, there is a minor chance you could run out of battery power and die, but if it was any kind of an important tournament game or something, you'd obviously have swapped out the battery to the freshly charged one before beginning.

The mouse is comfortable, accurate, and when the teflon pads on it are new it feels SO smooth. I also agree the DPI adjustment is a great addition for games like BF2 for the tank turrets and for sniping at long distances occasionally. I will stand out and be different, by recommending the G7. I have tried the G5 and find it to be equal in every respect, except for that irritating mouse cord. If your mouse cord never bothers you, buy the g5.
December 11, 2006 1:00:34 PM

Razer Diamondback FTW. Copperhead's buttons are too low, G5 and G7 only have one mouse button, and I like Razer's sensitivity adjustment more.

I have yet to try the MS/Razer Habu, but that might turn out to be the best gaming mouse to this date... any thoughts on that?
December 11, 2006 1:23:46 PM

The G5 or G7 are great, the design is the same, tough the G7 is wireless and the G5 has a rubber-like body and adjustable weight.
December 11, 2006 7:30:06 PM

Quote:
i play cs with it, and i'm happy with it's weight, but that't just my personal favor for big and heavy mouses
i'm not having problems with the thumb wheel, and even if you do, you can turn it off while playing games.

Have you used any of the mice mentioned in this thread aside form the revloution ? . How does the revolution compare to them in gaming?
December 12, 2006 11:30:11 AM

one of my friends has a g7, also a very good mouse for gaming
i think if the only thing you do is gaming, go for the g7
if you do more than gaming (like browsing, photoshop,...) go for the revolution
but be sure to test the mouse first!!
December 12, 2006 12:28:16 PM

Another write in vote for the MX518.

I run 1600x1200 and am still very happy with the 1600 dpi setting and would trade the second thumb button for the extra 400 dpi of the G5 (especially since it costs more to do it).

Can't imagine playing BF games without my adjustable sensitivity anymore.
December 12, 2006 2:08:42 PM

I do not know how anyone uses the thumb buttons. perhaps that is a weakness of the G5/G7 models, but I feel the thumb button requires excessive pressure, and does not feel like a natural button position at all. The pressure required to activate it actually prevents me from being able to precisely and smoothly move the mouse around and fire while pressing it. If you feel the thumb button is very important for some reason, I would not choose the G7 without first trying it yourself.

However, the only thing I could see that being useful for is vent, teamspeak, etc, and those are also easily accomplished via a keyboard key.

I do not understand the above comment that the G7 is only good for gaming, and not for web browsing/photoshop? gaming is the most demanding and precise requirement for a mouse, how would it not meet the requirements for something else? hopefully the person will clarify on that.
December 12, 2006 5:58:57 PM

I personally use the smaller thumb button for the parachute key in BF2, I'm usually not needing precise smooth mouse control while deploying the 'chute anyway but I also don't feel like I lose it either.

I also find the thumb buttons handy for browsing, as they function as 'back' and 'forward' buttons.

The true test of a good mouse is...

is it comfortable in your hand and do YOU like it. Definately spend some tiime in BestBuy or other electronics store just "feeling" them out.
December 12, 2006 6:35:30 PM

Logitech and Razer both make good mice. I think it basically comes down preferred mouse-grip style. Logitech mice favor those who prefer to grip the entire mouse in the palm, while Razer mice favor a lighter fingertip grip.

Some say Razers are too light, but I own a Copperhead and like it quite a bit because it favors the quick-twitch fingertip method.

To each his/her own.
December 12, 2006 6:40:54 PM

that's an excellent point. I find my g7 is very comfortable to hold with my whole hand and palm, but I find it impossible to move and control the PC while holding it that way. I end up using the fingertip method anyways, which would probably be more condusive to the copperhead, if i didn't hate corded mice that is. :) 
December 12, 2006 6:52:12 PM

This article from Joystiq might help. Apparently someone's found an objective way to test gaming mice. The results are not what one would expect.

Joystiq Article
December 12, 2006 7:02:02 PM

I own a Razer Copperhead and wouldn't have it any other way... I like it's size, weight, and sensitivity. It's really a personal preference thing, so maybe you should "window shop" at a Best Buy or something and find what fits best for you...

Oh, and the LED's are sweet on the Copperhead ;) 
December 12, 2006 7:10:30 PM

I know poeple are recommending trying them out first. But i live in Ireland In one of the smaller cities and I think the only place that might have these mice is PC world and I doubt theyd have them ,all let alone let me try them, I will however go down a check:) 
December 12, 2006 7:14:34 PM

sorry to hear that :?
well over here it isn't to good either, so don't worry you're not alone :) 
December 12, 2006 7:22:20 PM

Thats good to know,kinda, thanks. Ill see If I can find somewhere where I can try them out. That test that joystick links to seems to be quite rubbish. Don get me wrong , I very much do appreciate the person putting the link up to the article , But teh way they tested the mice was by how fast they started malfunctioning at. THE coppperhead started malfunctioning at 32"/s . I mean come on , whos goingo to be able to react/move the mouse that fast. Obviously the older technoilogies are going to fair better in that test as they have been developed over a much longer period of time.

I think if I cant get to try one out I will go for the revolution as I do a fair beit of web surfinag as well as gaming. :) 

I'lll still appreciate all your oppinions,keep them coming! :) 

chris.
December 12, 2006 7:28:51 PM

Quote:

I used/use the G7 and love it. I also have the Revolution but find it a little slower than the G7. Seems sluggish. Keep meaning to look into the settings but never get around to it.
December 12, 2006 7:50:31 PM

Quote:
Some say Razers are too light, but I own a Copperhead and like it quite a bit because it favors the quick-twitch fingertip method.

To each his/her own.

Yep, I own a Copperhead and other then having my first one blow out when a power supply failed.. it was awesome. It was under warranty and got it replaced with a little bit or annoyance.. but yea.

Id recommend this mouse solely because I use the mouse left-handed.. and while i've used the MX 510 (i believe) mice before this one, left handed.. yes it works decently.. it heavy and uses the whole wrist. I prefer to use my fingers to move the mouse.
December 19, 2006 7:40:59 PM

Quote:

I used/use the G7 and love it. I also have the Revolution but find it a little slower than the G7. Seems sluggish. Keep meaning to look into the settings but never get around to it.

Yeah could you check th settings on the Revoulution and see what dpi its on. It can go up to 2000 dpi cant it? I was looking in another forum and poeple were talking about it only being 800 dpi, I hope thats just what it comes set on as standard and not its max dpi. ?
December 20, 2006 6:40:50 AM

Im left handed, so my vote is for the copperhead.
December 20, 2006 9:35:04 AM

yeah, big minus for the revolution :( 
December 24, 2006 8:26:49 AM

Quote:
yeah, big minus for the revolution :( 

so did you check what the DPI setting was ?
December 24, 2006 9:33:45 AM

im realllyyyy sure the dpi is 800

the g5 can go three different sets at 800/1600/2000 via the + - buttons under the scroll wheel. and thats just without driver installation ( i havent used yet but you can supposedly change it to your own levels)

the g5 pwnts all mice believe me its really good for shooters, like cs bf2 prey fear etc...

for rts its also really good. due to it customiseable wieght cartridge.

i read some1 saying you wont need more than 800dpi or somthing. not quite true. on 800 its considerably slower ( as in you need to move the mouse more ) than the 1600 that im on. 2000dpi i would say is for higher res screens such as 1600x1200 ( or somthing like that ) .

i hope this helped.

g5 ftw! ( also consider the g15 keyboard)
a b 4 Gaming
December 24, 2006 11:31:10 AM

Quote:
Need to add the MX510/518 to your poll.

The MX510 is a good mouse that is comfortable and has enough mass for good movement. But in my opinion it's not a gaming mouse. I like it and use though, then again I'm not a hardcore FPS player.
December 24, 2006 12:19:26 PM

The G7. I use a ceramic floor tile as a mouse pad and its completely frictionless and incredibly precise. A steel-base mousepad interferes with the wireless signal.
October 27, 2007 5:59:31 PM

Has anyone ever done any tests to see if wireless mice work as well as corded ones? (given proper setup)
October 27, 2007 6:40:52 PM

I'm going to laugh and laugh when I can run circles around all you logitech, hand-mouse fanboys with my finger-mouse Razer copperhead... :-) There's no such thing as twitch-response with a logitech mouse.
October 27, 2007 6:50:28 PM

Wow, the G5 is ancient and STILL going strong!!!

I got mine when they first came out, and they are awesome.
October 28, 2007 3:35:51 AM

iewcoke said:
You should also look into te Logitech MX518. It is fairly cheap for a pretty good gaming mouse.

I don't suggest this mouse. I bought, but the side of the mouse is covered with this ...cheap plastic, and it pealed off only after a few weeks. It was very uncomfortable to my hand, and it took a month and a half to get used too. I don't like the software interface with it either. Has conflicting issues with games, and the descriptions of the features is ambiguous.
!