Sign in with
Your question

Will this computer i'm going to buy be good till 2008?

Last response: in Systems
December 9, 2006 11:41:36 AM

Hi it's been a long time since i've built a pc for myself. Currently using a Sempron 64 3000+
1gb DDR400
80gb hard drive
Inno Geforce 6600 256 MB AGP
Epox 8HMM-I
and a 19" Samsung CRT Monitor

Planning to upgrade to

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5B Deluxe
1gb Geil DDR2 800
Inno 7900GT - Or a 7300GT Sonic till I can afford to get a 8800GTS
320gb SEAGATE SATA Drive W/NCQ
Generic ATX casing w/ 500watt powersupply don't know if this psu will support an SLI setup but then again.

I'm keeping my monitor so this whole thing will cost me around

$1208 with 7900GT
$1010 with 7300GT sonic

Any Tips or build idea's would be very much appreciated.
December 9, 2006 12:15:14 PM

Doms,

You answered your own question in the first sentence. You kept your Sempron 64 3000+ for about three years, and you'll keep the E6600 just as long.

The 64 bit OS and Apps to take advantage of it aren't even on the market yet.

One thing you might consider is getting 2MB of memory, Vista doesn't sound like it will run well on 1 GB.

John
December 9, 2006 12:28:14 PM

SUP, that system is almost like mine. it will only last if u put 2Gigs of ram and overclock the baby to at least 3Ghz. if u do those two things u'll have no problems keeping her alive.

l8er :) 

P.S. get the 7300GT, u'll be able to save some cash to put towards the 8800GTS :lol: 
Related resources
December 9, 2006 3:55:55 PM

Thanks for the tip on the PSU. The thing that got me with this case and PSU bundle is it only cost's $24 and it's got quite alot of room for the stuff to breath in there. and comes with a 500watt PSU. For a good PSU what do you recommend?
December 9, 2006 4:01:02 PM

Also will follow the advice on getting 2gb of ram. Have to ditch the whole 7900gt or probably go with a 7900gs to squeeze in all I can in this new rig if i go for 2gb ram though. I'm kinda on a tight budget.

By the way thanks to

BigCharb , johnboy2 for the advice on ram.

and mpilchfamily for the advice on the Power and the tip on the 7300gt.
December 9, 2006 5:57:22 PM

You're paying a premium for the E6600 over the E6300, but you're also on a budget. Don't go cheap on the power supply.. 500W for a cheap brand is not the same as 500W on a good brand. You want stable voltages and high minimum Amps on the 12V rails. Quality here is important..

Definitely don't put a lot of money in a videocard if you know you'll upgrade soon. Put that $50-100 saved toward a GOOD power supply.. like a SeaSonic 430W or 500W (if you're planning on SLI later).

Put the money saved going with an E6300 into 2GB of RAM. If your ego can't take the blow to 2MB cache on the cpu, save $40-50 on the motherboard by going with a Gigabyte DS3 or standard Asus P5B.

As for the case.. room to breathe is one thing, but look at the fans on the case.. go with 120mm fan ports over 80mm - it'll be quieter and move more air. If you have to spend $50 for the case and $80 for a good power supply, it's worth it. Heat and power affect every component inside your case.
December 9, 2006 6:48:43 PM

Quote:
SUP, that system is almost like mine. it will only last if u put 2Gigs of ram and overclock the baby to at least 3Ghz. if u do those two things u'll have no problems keeping her alive.

l8er :) 

P.S. get the 7300GT, u'll be able to save some cash to put towards the 8800GTS :lol: 

If you're using that logic, you may as well get the E6300 so you can get a cheaper quad core processor later on. Also, if you're a gamer I'd consider getting double the power of that PSU.
December 9, 2006 7:03:06 PM

that seems kind of expensive for that setup, but then again i am using an AMD system unfortunatly. shop around a little more, and i would really go for atleast 2GB of memory. oh yea and if you do not go with the 7900gt atleast get a 7600.
December 9, 2006 7:54:24 PM

People underrate and forget about PSUs. They are just as important as anything else. Get a good one.
Check out www.xoxide.com to find a good PSU.
-cm
December 9, 2006 8:12:49 PM

Quote:
People underrate and forget about PSUs. They are just as important as anything else. Get a good one.
-cm

Very true.. and people also highly overestimate the wattage they need as well. Quad core, SLI, 4 hard drives, 2 dvd drives.. doesn't need a 1kw power supply. 600-700W will be fine with some room to spare. Just be sure to check the Amps on the 12V lines.. that's where a majority of the power should be at.
December 9, 2006 8:43:00 PM

define good.

To me your old system isnt good and wasnt a while ago.

If your a heavy gamer ill defanitly say no it wont be.

Otherwise you could still be using your old system and call it good.
December 10, 2006 12:17:20 AM

If he just types and surfs then he was fine, and will be for a while.
-cm
December 10, 2006 1:47:50 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Took all your advices and here is the final things i'm going to be putting on the new pc.

Intel Core 2 E6300
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
2gb Geil DDR2 800
Inno 3D 7600GST
LG GSA DVD+RW 18x
Cooler Master Stacker 101
Silverstone Strider 600watt

Should cost me
$1,100

This should be good for everything for now.
Won't be upgrading anything for the next six months after this upgrade.
Just hope this setup will be able to run some of the new games coming out. Like UT2007. Currently trying out Flight simulator X but it's a bit too sluggish for me.
Fear Runs fine but with me playing it at 800x600 Medium Settings. So this upgrade is going to be a big leap from what i got.
December 10, 2006 5:22:08 AM

Looks nice. Best of luck,
-cm
December 10, 2006 10:13:35 AM

Quote:
-cm

Xoxide sux :-( I won't get into flaming or reasons why though...at least not beyond this.

Let's just say they don't know how to package their own cases to avoid scratched clear window damage and refuse to take responsibility, instead making sure to annoy me and delay and then push it onto UPS.

600w might still be a tad low. I was thinking more in the 800w range. Those newer cards pack a wallop and it won't be long before you'll want an upgrade. The idea of increasing PSU was to ensure a future video card and processor upgrade. If you go quad core and add what today is a high end card you'll be wanting the extra 100-200 watts.
December 10, 2006 10:17:28 AM

Quote:
-cm

Very true.. and people also highly overestimate the wattage they need as well. Quad core, SLI, 4 hard drives, 2 dvd drives.. doesn't need a 1kw power supply. 600-700W will be fine with some room to spare. Just be sure to check the Amps on the 12V lines.. that's where a majority of the power should be at.

Go off this guy's statement. I like 800w or 750w. I have a 620w I bought for my 939 and knew I'd need it, and even it's lookin' a bit shabby now. It's best to go over what you think you might need. Sure you might waste $50 or so, but if it saves you from buying another PSU in the future...

Just make sure you find one that's pretty green. You want good efficiency under low load too. Antec's new 80+ efficiency green PSU's seem nice, although it might be a marketing ploy. I suggest you read the PSU section of the forums to figure out just what you need.
December 10, 2006 11:07:22 AM

If you want to do some heavy overclocking, then 667 RAM will be enough.
At the optimal 1:1 ratio, that would still get you +25%; and with some more
volts and loosening the timings, most memory will do more.

As for the PSU, you won't even need 600Ws.
Just think about it, people:
8800GTX = 75 +2*75W = 225W. That's the maximum it can take.
Allendale oc +25% ~ max 75W. Add about 20W for the ram and for the hdd;
also for the mobo, dvd and a few watts for the fans. You're still under 400Ws -
and look at the power consumption tests, they are indeed not using even that
much:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2870

So even a 5-600W psu will have enough headroom with even an 8800GTX.
December 10, 2006 11:14:14 AM

Quote:
If you want to do some heavy overclocking, then 667 RAM will be enough.
At the optimal 1:1 ratio, that would still get you +25%; and with some more
volts and loosening the timings, most memory will do more.

As for the PSU, you won't even need 600Ws.
Just think about it, people:
8800GTX = 75 +2*75W = 225W. That's the maximum it can take.
Allendale oc +25% ~ max 75W. Add about 20W for the ram and for the hdd;
also for the mobo, dvd and a few watts for the fans. You're still under 400Ws -
and look at the power consumption tests, they are indeed not using even that
much:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2870

So even a 5-600W psu will have enough headroom with even an 8800GTX.

Well that's always good to hear, I can only hope my FX-55, dual channel Corsair 3200+ C2, 500w liberty PSU'd LAN system can take two 8800GTX's. It's got two laptop DVD writers, 4 fans with the one in the PSU, a 150gig raptor, and 21UV Led's (including the modded one in the PSU). I hope it has enough juice for all that. Heat is far more my concern at this point.
December 10, 2006 11:27:18 AM

You really need 2 GB RAM
You should take MSI P965 Platinum or the Gigabyte ????????-S3 (cant remember exact name) instead
You should get Western Digitals WD1600YS or however its called exactly (160 GB with 16MB cache)

and if you plan on upgrading to 8800 GTS you should not waste those dollars on a cheap card now but dont buy the whole PC till you can afford it because, well, itll come down to the same situation
December 10, 2006 11:35:39 AM

I'm a fan of 7200rpm 16mb drives from WD too.

Good video cards can be found for around $160 or so. I like any X1900 card, although some prefer Nvidia and any 7900 card is good too. You may be looking at around $200+ right now for anything superb in with those GPU's, though I've found good cards available online for around $160. It's true, no matter when and what you buy will be "outdated" according to enthusiasts the very next day. Some prick on here told me his Core 2 Duo could stomp my FX-55 and my X2 4200+ both. I mean, come on...I have two computers and had them both before summer of 2006 and took my time shopping around. A year or two from now we'll both be upgrading but chances are by then his dad will have kicked his lazy ass out or he'll still be living in his trailer park and he'll have twice as many "junk" systems sitting around that he wasted his money on. Buy today, upgrade a bit tomorrow. Then build a whole new system and just keep your old one for memories sake. :-)
December 10, 2006 1:12:31 PM

:lol: 

Nice. If it comes to that, you better buy a 4x4. It´s the ultimate muscle machine - guzzles gas like a bavarian beer during the Oktoberfest, got two sockets that need a water tower to cool them and a diesel generator to power it all. It´s the hummer of PCs so to speak.
December 10, 2006 5:44:58 PM

Quote:
Getting a E6600 with 1gb of ram is like getting is like buying a mustang with a 4 cylinder. Cmon people...

They sold quite a few of those actually. :-)

Oh, and I didn't really look at his RAM. He can always add more later. RAM is very costly. With higher BUS speeds, larger CPU caches and faster memory speeds, 1gb might be enough for a short while. Although he'll want to take advantage of dual channel anyway.
December 11, 2006 12:39:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestions they've been real informative and easier for me to know what to buy.
December 11, 2006 1:00:14 AM

Quote:
Getting a E6600 with 1gb of ram is like getting is like buying a mustang with a 4 cylinder. Cmon people...

They sold quite a few of those actually. :-)

Oh, and I didn't really look at his RAM. He can always add more later. RAM is very costly. With higher BUS speeds, larger CPU caches and faster memory speeds, 1gb might be enough for a short while. Although he'll want to take advantage of dual channel anyway.

Yeah they did sell alot of those but selling a mustang or camero with a 4 banger (actualy i mean buying one) is like destroying hte whole point IMO :D 
December 11, 2006 1:07:56 AM

WOW, it makes me kind of sick when you think we have to spend 1000+ dollars every 18 months just to keep up with the average PC.
December 11, 2006 1:22:25 AM

Like Everyone is recommending 2 GB of ram would serve u alot better, recommend at least 800 mhz.

If u could go for a 600w power supply if u are considering sli, my 680w is even nicer, and quiet too.

Instead of dropping down to the 7300 you do have another fantastic option. The 7900 GS is practically the same as the 7800 gt, but build on 90 nm process, and there are recent reviews saying you can overclock it to 680 mhz which makes it have the most bang for the buck for a budget video card.

The answer to your problem is no, no computer ever lasts 2 years. But you will be able to do alot with it, and it will be more than 4x faster than your present set up so it should do 95% of the tasks for the near future.
!