Halcion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Alright, so I got the Intel Retail Edge deal, e6300 and DG965WH mobo and Vista. Well unfortunately Vista right now is not working with some of the things I would like to do. I'm desperately trying to find a way to boot off of XP MCE on my old HHD, so far everything I have tried has not worked as the HDD does not have the SATA drivers for the new Mobo. I've been trying to find an MCE install disc but have had no luck with that so I can't do a fresh install either.

pat

Expert
Alright, so I got the Intel Retail Edge deal, e6300 and DG965WH mobo and Vista. Well unfortunately Vista right now is not working with some of the things I would like to do. I'm desperately trying to find a way to boot off of XP MCE on my old HHD, so far everything I have tried has not worked as the HDD does not have the SATA drivers for the new Mobo. I've been trying to find an MCE install disc but have had no luck with that so I can't do a fresh install either.

Usually, there is an option in BIOS to set the SATA controller as a normal IDE (not enhenced AHCI mode) that will let you using your SATA drive without drivers.. as long as XP will actually boot on the new hardware...

Halcion

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Yea the IDE option for SATA drives is already selected but no luck. I'm trying to think if there was any reason XP wouldn't boot to the new hardware.

pat

Expert
XP don't like hardware change, and that may prevent booting. Going fromsame chipset upgrade works most of the time, but going from different one will fail most of the time.