tronica

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok i currently have a

amd 3000+ skt.939
msi neo4 k8n platinum sli
1 1GB stick pc3200
two 6600 GT's one went bad

My grandparents send me $300 each christmas. So i thought i would upgrade what i could. Heres what i picked out.

MotherBoard

Video Card

Processor

Tell what you think, with that i will use my exsisting memory. Or should i keep the mobo and upgrade around that

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
I wouldn't recommend anyone who's using a computer for more than web/email/chat applications to invest in a single-core upgrade. Try to sell the working components you have and build a Pentium D 805 system. That cpu, an SLI capable motherboard, and 2x512mb RAM will be about $300 shipped.

If you just want some gaming improvement, get another 1GB stick of ram to run dual channel and get as high of a videocard as you can.. or just use that $300 on a videocard.

Don't burn $300 on minor upgrades for the working components you already have.. go dual-core & ddr2 or don't go at all.. :)

4745454b

Titan
I, nor anyone else, can't really answer the question. You failed to state in your post why you feel the need to upgrade your computer. Is it to slow in games? Does encoding take to long? Is it to slow overall? Without knowing what your trying to do, I can't suggest what actions to take.

I see you have 2 6600s, and one went bad. I'll assume from this that you had an SLI setup. If all you do is play videogames, I suggest you build around what you have. Buy a second 1GB stick to move to dual channel/2GBs. (run CPUz to determine what RAM you have now so you can buy a stick with identical settings.) Spend the rest of what you have on a good video card. (don't exceed the limits of your PSU.) This will put you back in gaming goodness.

tronica

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
thanks for you input guys. but here what i think i will do.

motherborad

processor

memory

and then i will use my exsisting video card for now. I do some light gaming. like ut2k4, fear, halflife. Do you think that video card will work for while longer. also does that mobo support sli?

4745454b

Titan
First, no the 9xx series doesn't support SLI. (they do support CF however.) I don't like the ram you picked very much, but it should work. This will move you to a newer platform, but if you've been using SLI, you should have lower framerates then before. (because you've been using two cards.) I don't know how much the 6300 will help. As a gamer I would get the better card and more ram, but thats just me. Good luck with your build.