Zoomcat

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:57:51 +0100, Si Ballenger wrote
(in message <41828397.53051734@news.comporium.net>):

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:27:53 +0100, F G Marshall
> <fgm@sunspot.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Zoomcat are you here?
>>
>> will ( http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/byte.htm ) echoo work on Win2000?
>>
>> Frank
>
> Echoo works on XP pro, so it should work on 2K. Below is a cam
> connected to an XP machine that uses echoo to write the bytes to
> the servo controller.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm

Thanks!

It works now on Win 2000 - many thanks to Zoomcat!!!

Can anyone say how to transfer data from a web page click to a Visual Basic 6
program justa as Echoo pics up data and acts on it?

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:01:56 +0100, F G Marshall
<fgm@sunspot.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Zoomcat are you here?
>>>
>>> will ( http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/byte.htm ) echoo work on Win2000?
>>>
>>> Frank
>>
>> Echoo works on XP pro, so it should work on 2K. Below is a cam
>> connected to an XP machine that uses echoo to write the bytes to
>> the servo controller.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
>>

>Thanks!
>
>It works now on Win 2000 - many thanks to Zoomcat!!!
>
>Can anyone say how to transfer data from a web page click to a Visual Basic 6
>program justa as Echoo pics up data and acts on it?

Most web data is passed using the query_string environmental
variable, which is set by the web server and collected by the
program executed. In the below qbasic example (VB should be
somewhat similar), the web server is told to set the "mydata" as
the "query_string" environmental varable, then the server starts
"myprogram.exe". One of the first things in "myprogram.exe" is
the second line below where it looks for and gets the
"query_string" environmental variable and sets it to "a$".
"Myprogram.exe" now does what ever it needs to do with the "a$".
The web server then takes the output from "myprogram.exe" and
sends it back to the web brouser. The bottom link is a page that
shows how to use qbasic (VB may be similar) to control the
parallel port data pins and read the parallel port status pins
via a web link.

http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/myprogram.exe?mydata

a$ = ENVIRON$("QUERY_STRING")

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/status.htm

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:11:31 +0000, Si Ballenger wrote
(in message <4183bd2f.133319994@news.comporium.net>):

>>> Echoo works on XP pro, so it should work on 2K. Below is a cam
>>> connected to an XP machine that uses echoo to write the bytes to
>>> the servo controller.
>>>
>>> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
>>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> It works now on Win 2000 - many thanks to Zoomcat!!!
>>
>> Can anyone say how to transfer data from a web page click to a Visual
>> Basic 6
>> program justa as Echoo pics up data and acts on it?
>>

> Most web data is passed using the query_string environmental
> variable, which is set by the web server and collected by the
> program executed. In the below qbasic example (VB should be
> somewhat similar), the web server is told to set the "mydata" as
> the "query_string" environmental varable, then the server starts
> "myprogram.exe". One of the first things in "myprogram.exe" is
> the second line below where it looks for and gets the
> "query_string" environmental variable and sets it to "a$".
> "Myprogram.exe" now does what ever it needs to do with the "a$".
> The web server then takes the output from "myprogram.exe" and
> sends it back to the web brouser. The bottom link is a page that
> shows how to use qbasic (VB may be similar) to control the
> parallel port data pins and read the parallel port status pins
> via a web link.
>
> http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/myprogram.exe?mydata
>
> a$ = ENVIRON$("QUERY_STRING")
>
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/status.htm

Thanks.

As I understand it most of Zommcat's programs are on win98 and qbasic.exe
will not work on win2000.
I suppose ENVIRON is a system level variable available to any program
including VB

as in

PRINT #1, "<P>Your IP address: "; ENVIRON$("REMOTE_ADDR"); "
"

(none of this in my VB text book!)

I wonder if anyone in this group has an example of a Visual Basic 6 program
that picks up and uses the data returned from a web page on remote browser.

I think VB can even run old qbasic code "as is" - I will try it out

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:41:51 +0000, F G Marshall
<fgm@removeme_sunspot.co.uk> wrote:

>As I understand it most of Zommcat's programs are on win98 and qbasic.exe
>will not work on win2000.

Qbasic doesn't seem to be able to "open" a com port on XP, but
others have reported using the compiled qbasic application on
win2K machines works without problems. the interpeted qbaisc
programs may also work. As for the parallel port, on NT/2K/XP
machines, an application such as userport needs to be used to set
the registry to allow access to the parallel port hardware. No
hardware access problems on win95/98.

>I suppose ENVIRON is a system level variable available to any program
>including VB
>
>as in
>
>PRINT #1, "<P>Your IP address: "; ENVIRON$("REMOTE_ADDR"); "
"

>(none of this in my VB text book!)
>
>I wonder if anyone in this group has an example of a Visual Basic 6 program
>that picks up and uses the data returned from a web page on remote browser.
>
>I think VB can even run old qbasic code "as is" - I will try it out

A good group to ask VB serial port questions is in the
microsoft.public.vb.controls news group. Doing a google search
for VB environ$ pulls up some examples.