Need help building a rediculous rig

scnboston

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hello...

I am building a super quiet / overclocked machine and need some help. I have already selected some of the components, but need help with others. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e6600

Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Hard Drives: Western Digital Raptor 80GB (Primary Windows Drive)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - 500 GB (Storage)

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-520HX – 520 watts

Case: Antec P180 w/ Acoustipack Deluxe

Cooling: Scythe Ninja CPU heat sink
Thernalright HR-05 north bridge heat sink

I need help selecting a video card and memory. I want to do some serious overclocking. I will be using the computer as a DAW w/ Pro Tools (lower latencies are needed). I will also be doing some games (video card overclocking is needed / water cooled card would be nice).

Any suggestions on my list and / or a memory and video card selection?

THANKS!!!!

-silencer-

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Well, don't expect it to be too quiet with the Raptor - mine are easily the loudest components in my system. My 500GB WD's are just a whisper compared to them.

As for the video card and memory.. how much are you willing to spend?

scnboston

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Regarding the Raptor, I am going to suspend the drive to make it more quiet.

I need 2 GB of RAM, so I could spend up to $300 on memory. I could probably spend up to $300 on the video card.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
If you want it to really be quiet and are thinking about water-cooling components, I would suggest going with full water-cooling now. I have an Antec P160 with 2x120mm fans & a noisetaker psu and I still find it loud. The fans and the hard drives are all vibration dampened too. Air moving around just makes noise - it isn't the spinning components rattling it is just the airflow through parts itself. Of course fans intelligently engineered to be quiet would help a lot but I haven't heard of any for computers. The heat sinks would also need a lot of refinement if they were to get quiet since airflow through small channels makes noise. Water cooling is a good solution now. I'm just going to put my computer in the storage room (under the stairs) beside my room with just a plate on the wall with usb and monitor connections and a power switch.

Jo