E6300+cooler or E6400+stock

iewcoke

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Should I get the E6300 and spend the extra 40-50 dollars to get a cpu cooler or get the E6400 and use the stock? If I should go with the the E6300, which cooler should I get?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You should get the E6300 and use the stock. Don't even bother OCing. It's comparable to a high end X2 which is still pretty darn good in my book. I'm using two socket 939 systems and I don't plan on upgrading for another 3 years. By then some of these suckers will be broke and I'll have a sweet gaming system all over again. Save your cash for a quad core CPU in the future and buy a matching heatsink then. Until then, an E6300 should do you fine, pair it up with an 8800 GTS if you want.

iewcoke

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Would I still be able to reach 2.8-3 GHZ on stock with E6300? I am planning on getting 2 gb of ddr2 667, so with that, is it possible?

If you're not overclocking, do go for a better cooler.

You mean, if I am overclocking, I should get a better cooler?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
nah, not with an E6300 and the stock cooler, might be able to get to 2.4ghz at most, if you want to get to 3ghz buy an aftermarket hsf and some better ram (800mhz instead of 667) for the cooler i would get either the tuniq tower 120 (good luck on finding one) or the scythe infinity.

iewcoke

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
nah, not with an E6300 and the stock cooler, might be able to get to 2.4ghz at most, if you want to get to 3ghz buy an aftermarket hsf and some better ram (800mhz instead of 667) for the cooler i would get either the tuniq tower 120 (good luck on finding one) or the scythe infinity.

But if I use stock+E6400, would I be able to reach 2.8-3ghz? Yeah, I was thinking that if I get a cooler, it would be safer to OC and cost about the same as the E6400.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
eh, maybe 2.8, but just spend the 50 bucks on an aftermarket hsf, your cpu will run cooler and you wont have to worry as much about the thing getting fried.

iewcoke

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
eh, maybe 2.8, but just spend the 50 bucks on an aftermarket hsf, your cpu will run cooler and you wont have to worry as much about the thing getting fried.

Thanks! so E6300 and Scythe Infinity!

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I disagree, I think you can get better clocks with a 6400+stock than an 6300+aftermarket cooler.

A 6400 will do 3.2Ghz with the stock cooler (albeit warmly) at stock volts. To get in that range with a 6300 your looking at 460fsb thats pushing it ,even with a fancy heatsink.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
But if I use stock+E6400, would I be able to reach 2.8-3ghz? Yeah, I was thinking that if I get a cooler, it would be safer to OC and cost about the same as the E6400.

I can get 2.8GHz with E6300 at default voltage with Zalman 9500 on minimum RPM.

If you want more than that go for E6400.
Frankly, I don't see why you would need more than 2.8GHz because I am perfectly happy with 2,240MHz (20% O/C) which matches and outperforms Opteron 165 at 2.6GHz easily.

Check this cooler round-up:
AMDandIntelHeatsinkRoundup2006-jmke-14711.png

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
You couldn't be more wrong. 6300 will easily hit 2.8 with stock cooling with the right mobo. Stock HSF will provide decent cooling at least to 2.8. I'm hovering near 3.0 (425 FSB currently), and temps are a touch warm, but still safe.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Go for E6400 + stock hsf. Later on, buy the aftermarket hsf. Simple huh?

Buy the E6300 with stock. Save your cash and go quad core later on. Simple? Heck no. That's quad! :-D I tend to look down the road. I've got two socket 939's and am looking forward to upgrading my video cards. As of yet, my X1900 AIW card still runs everything fine, and my FX-55 is still pretty darn fast. I'm not jealous of the Core 2 Duo users, much. The truth is that with an OC'd E6300 you'll still have a faster computer than most of the people at any lan party for awhile and you will be happy with your system. These are enthusiasts talking and I'm just the voice of reason. I guess it's a matter of how badly you want to scratch that itch, and have scars later.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't listen to apt403, the stock cooler is fine for overclocking. If you want a good overclock, the E6400 has a greater chance of being a "top" core than the E6300. A bigger cooler is a nice idea for reducing noise, but adds very little to the achievable clock speed.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Don't listen to apt403, the stock cooler is fine for overclocking. If you want a good overclock, the E6400 has a greater chance of being a "top" core than the E6300. A bigger cooler is a nice idea for reducing noise, but adds very little to the achievable clock speed.

The idea is to make it safer to OC without hitting high temps and to make your CPU last longer....although the way some enthusiasts speak as though money is no object, I'm surprised they'd bother, since they can either afford more than one chip or they'll be upgrading to a new processor within a matter of months.

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006

Buy the E6300 with stock. Save your cash and go quad core later on. Simple? Heck no. That's quad! :-D I tend to look down the road. I've got two socket 939's and am looking forward to upgrading my video cards. As of yet, my X1900 AIW card still runs everything fine, and my FX-55 is still pretty darn fast. I'm not jealous of the Core 2 Duo users, much. The truth is that with an OC'd E6300 you'll still have a faster computer than most of the people at any lan party for awhile and you will be happy with your system. These are enthusiasts talking and I'm just the voice of reason. I guess it's a matter of how badly you want to scratch that itch, and have scars later.

Not really the same example.
Since the E6400 has a higher multiplier has greater o/c potential. The stock hsf is pretty good for moderate o/c. He can try that and if he still wants more powa, he can then consider purchasing an aftermarket hsf and o/c some more. The difference of 40$ between the 2 of them (6300 and 6400) is not that much. If we are talking about 6600 and 6400 where the price difference is huge. I would suggest the 6400.

bottom line 40 bucks for higher multiplier? hell yeah!

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Not really the same example.
Since the E6400 has a higher multiplier has greater o/c potential. The stock hsf is pretty good for moderate o/c. He can try that and if he still wants more powa, he can then consider purchasing an aftermarket hsf and o/c some more. The difference of 40$ between the 2 of them (6300 and 6400) is not that much. If we were talking about 6600 and 6400 were the price difference is huge. I would suggest the 6400.

bottom line 40 bucks for higher multiplier? hell yeah!

You act as though $40 is nothing, and that a few more mhz is going to show a huge difference when quad core might soon be affordable. Furthermore, he might wish to switch to AMD as they could very well have a plan to stomp Intel. But then again, you are an enthusiast and enthusiasm about a few more mhz isn't really unexpected. :p

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
what???? I mean 40$ is a big deal????? Even if he is a student he can still wait a couple of weeks and save some more money. If he's gotta have it right now, then yes, I'll agree 6300 is just as good and really a fast cpu nonetheless.

...and then you keep ranting about different things that really can't compare.
How is the 1200$ quad core can compare with a 180$ and 220$ cpu, beats me. The day that a quad core of the same freq. will be in the price range of 40$+ from the dual core, then you gonna have a valid point. Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

We all have different opinions, and mine is the above stated. Yours is different . But don't expect me to agree with you.

peace bro!

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
An AC Freezer 7 Pro is cheap enough but performs well.
6400 OEM and Freezer7Pro ftw :lol:
Seriously, I recommend the 6400 because of the higher multi. With the 6300,
you'll put more strain on your 667 ram.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
what???? I mean 40$ is a big deal????? Even if he is a student he can still wait a couple of weeks and save some more money. If he's gotta have it right now, then yes, I'll agree 6300 is just as good and really a fast cpu nonetheless.

...and then you keep ranting about different things that really can't compare.
How is the 1200$ quad core can compare with a 180$ and 220$ cpu, beats me. The day that a quad core of the same freq. will be in the price range of 40$+ from the dual core, then you gonna have a valid point. Don't see it happening anytime soon though.

We all have different opinions, and mine is the above stated. Yours is different . But don't expect me to agree with you.

peace bro!

I see where you're coming from...but $40 is a nice meal out with the woman. :) I just think that if he plans to upgrade in the future [and let's face it, prices drop like flies (flies live for 24 hrs)] quad core chips, despite what anyone says will be affordable before you know it. In a year or so we'll see some multi-threaded apps popping up to make use of them. 2009 isn't that far away anymore. Isn't there supposed to be a new release of Windows then? Sure, $40 will get you a nice little bump today. But $40 a single year from now will get you an even better bump.

I could also argue this:

Our generations don't know how to save money, and any argument you have towards wasting more of it can be trumped by your grandparents and the depression. Must I even mention that Chinese companies are looking at BUYING our automobile companies? You seem to forget where your wealth came from and how ultimately limited it is. Do you honestly think that $40, 15 years from now won't be worth a lot more to you? Do you not understand that the American dollar is losing value? LOL You arrogant fool. You live in the moment like all the other spoiled people in this century. Rome is gone. The Soviet Union is gone. You think our country is bound to last another century. Ha. If I were you, I'd save your $40 and start learning mandarin. It is afterall, the most used language on earth by far, and China is now the manufacturing capital of the world.

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
i have an e6300 running at 2.8 with a stock cooler, prime 95 running 24hrs heat up to 56C. i will probably get another cooler when i decide which one to get. i have a smaller case, so i have clearence problems

minim3

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I see where you're coming from...but $40 is a nice meal out with the woman. Smile I just think that if he plans to upgrade in the future [and let's face it, prices drop like flies (flies live for 24 hrs)] quad core chips, despite what anyone says will be affordable before you know it. In a year or so we'll see some multi-threaded apps popping up to make use of them. 2009 isn't that far away anymore. Isn't there supposed to be a new release of Windows then? Sure, $40 will get you a nice little bump today. But $40 a single year from now will get you an even better bump.

I could also argue this:

Our generations don't know how to save money, and any argument you have towards wasting more of it can be trumped by your grandparents and the depression. Must I even mention that Chinese companies are looking at BUYING our automobile companies? You seem to forget where your wealth came from and how ultimately limited it is. Do you honestly think that $40, 15 years from now won't be worth a lot more to you? Do you not understand that the American dollar is losing value? LOL You arrogant fool. You live in the moment like all the other spoiled people in this century. Rome is gone. The Soviet Union is gone. You think our country is bound to last another century. Ha. If I were you, I'd save your $40 and start learning mandarin. It is afterall, the most used language on earth by far, and China is now the manufacturing capital of the world.

maaaaaaaaan. I would like to know what you are drinking! I want some myself!!!! rolf (kidding).

the op here asks a very specific question. I believe he got an answer from both of on that. Lets put that aside, ok?

How am I an arrogant fool and living in the moment because I made a reasonable choice to go with the 40$ expensive cpu? Dollar is losing value? Well good thing I live in Europe then. But seriously, if you know that much about me, I would like to hire you as my personal psychiatrist, cause you sure as hell now stuff about me that I ignore!!!! BTW China will remain competitive as long as labour is cheap. Sometime in the future they will wake up and start demanding more rights/money. Then we'll see if china will survive. But all these belong to another thread!

sorry op for hijacking it.

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Let me get things clear regarding this guy who's talked about not getting above 2.4GHz on E6300 with stock cooling.

Try reading my guide to a budget E6300 overclocked, it's the link over my signature.

Everyone who has read my guide has their E6300 reached at least 3GHz with stock cooling. I personally having mine running at 3.409GHz rock solid stable, I've actually run it at 3.5GHz stable, but I wanted it to stay below 60C at all times, at 3.409GHz with stock cooling, I'm running at 60-61C at full load.

I've helped 7 people from this forum personally, through PM or even MSN, or AIM. Most of them failed to achieve above 3GHz, but once they consulted me, I helped them with all kinds of stuffs that I could, they achieved a minimum 3GHz. One of the guy that I helped actually sent me $50 over PayPal as a donation for spending the time to help him overclock up to 3.3GHz with stock cooling.

The only reason if you can't overclock a E6300 above 3GHz with stock cooling is, either you're doing a bad job at overclocking, not doing things right? Or, your ambient temperature is 40C or above. Coz, when I was in Malaysia, I helped a buddy from Singapore overclock with an ambient temperature of 36C, and still achieved 3.2GHz without a problem, but that's with a cheap aftermarket cooler, not the best. I even helped another guy overclocked his E6300 to 3.2GHz with stock cooler, with 36C ambient temperature as well, as they're all performed in my room in Malaysia. That Singapore friend of mine, which I met over this forum, threated me to lunch, dinner, breakfast, a Zalman HSF, and a water cooler. That Malaysian friend of mine, bought me a dinner.

I've explained almost everything that I could over the thread, just visit the link over my signature, if you have the time, try reading the whole thread, I've done a lot to improve that guide, and it's at least, as perfect as I could make it, for the moment. I'm pretty sure you'd learn a lot from that thread, and judge how things were done and achieved.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You act as though $40 is nothing, and that a few more mhz is going to show a huge difference when quad core might soon be affordable. Furthermore, he might wish to switch to AMD as they could very well have a plan to stomp Intel. But then again, you are an enthusiast and enthusiasm about a few more mhz isn't really unexpected. :p

Quad core will remain meanlingless to the majority of users for a long time. There's no point on holding back to save money for an expensive upgrade that provides little to no benefit.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
People also speak as if adding a larger air cooler will enable significantly better clock speeds, but the Intel boxed cooler does an OK job, and dropping the CPU temp by 5C is only effective for around 20-60MHz before the temps are back up to where they were.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I see where you're coming from...but $40 is a nice meal out with the woman. Smile I just think that if he plans to upgrade in the future [and let's face it, prices drop like flies (flies live for 24 hrs)] quad core chips, despite what anyone says will be affordable before you know it. In a year or so we'll see some multi-threaded apps popping up to make use of them. 2009 isn't that far away anymore. Isn't there supposed to be a new release of Windows then? Sure, $40 will get you a nice little bump today. But $40 a single year from now will get you an even better bump.

I could also argue this:

maaaaaaaaan. I would like to know what you are drinking! I want some myself!!!! rolf (kidding).

the op here asks a very specific question. I believe he got an answer from both of on that. Lets put that aside, ok?

How am I an arrogant fool and living in the moment because I made a reasonable choice to go with the 40$ expensive cpu? Dollar is losing value? Well good thing I live in Europe then. But seriously, if you know that much about me, I would like to hire you as my personal psychiatrist, cause you sure as hell now stuff about me that I ignore!!!! BTW China will remain competitive as long as labour is cheap. Sometime in the future they will wake up and start demanding more rights/money. Then we'll see if china will survive. But all these belong to another thread!

sorry op for hijacking it.

Yeah, sorry OP. I just like to rant. LOL Any regulars on here should know that by now. I think half of them have me ignored. =P

Anyway, I think the E6300 is still a great deal if you can beat most of the Athlon's right now, and upgrading to quad core sounds like a fantastic idea later. If you get a really kickass cooler you can go quad later and still use it, meanwhile OC like mad. When you're done with the old E6300 I'll buy it off you if you offer me a great price and I know you know what you're doin with the OC.