User Profile (Settings)

How do I locate and restore a user profile that was tucked away somewhere
during a re-installation of XP?

CILO wrote:
> How do I locate and restore a user profile that was tucked away
> somewhere during a re-installation of XP?

Just *how* was it tucked away?
Use the method prescribed by the "tuck away" instructions.
(did you use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard to "tuck away" the
profile?)

Or do you just need access to the files/folders in this profile?
(C:\Documents and Settings\ProfileName is givig you "access denied"?)

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307874

--
<- Shenan ->

Thanks Shenan for your reply, but what I meant was that my previous profile
is somewhere on my hardrive and I don't know how to restore it. I've
mistakedly created another profile during a re-installation and now my
windows environment (desktop) has nothing, but the programs can be seen in
windows explorer.

CILO wrote:
> Thanks Shenan for your reply, but what I meant was that my previous
> profile is somewhere on my hardrive and I don't know how to restore
> it. I've mistakedly created another profile during a re-installation
> and now my windows environment (desktop) has nothing, but the
> programs can be seen in windows explorer.

Depending on "how" you re-installed, you may have to install your
applications again as well. If this is a parallel installation, then none
of the registry settings, etc will exist for your previously installed
applications. You will have to install them again from their media.

Please explain HOW you re-installed and why.. As well as if you have looked
under c:\socuments and settings for your old user profile(s) to try and get
information from their start menu/etc.

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi,

If you reinstalled, rather than doing a repair install, then your old
profile will no longer be available to you. You cannot import it or use it
in the new installation, as the security ID's will not match or be
registered in the new installation. If the user profile folder still exists
under C:\Documents and Settings, then you can copy it into your new user
profile using the procedure here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Make sure you do this from the administrator account, and are not logged
into the account you are copying into. Your software will need to be
reinstalled from the original installation media to create the needed
registry entries and to have the proper files placed in the system folder.

In the future, you should do a repair installation to preserve your existing
user account, settings, and programs. The procedure is described here:

Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org