OC memory probelms

toona

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
ok i'm trying to OC my system. It seems that my bottle neck is with the RAM
I"ve got a P4P800SE mobo, P4 3.0GHz prescott,
My memory is 1 GB (2X512) but they are two different sticks.

DIMM3: Samsung M3 68L6523CUS-CCC
@ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
@ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

DIMM1: OCZ OCZ400512R3
@ 200 MHz 2.5-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Now if i set the Memory bus @400 in the Bios and the change the CPU FSB then the memory speed follows the CPU FSB speed. Now if i set the memory bus speed to auto it clocks the memory at 146MHz. Well then i changed the timings to 3.0-3-3-8 and get the same thing.

If i set the memory bus at 400MHz and it follows the cpu fsb the the max OC i can get is around 3.2?? Seems kind of wimpy to me.
Anyone got any ideas??
Also is it better to have the CPU FSB match the memory bus and be lower or have a lower memory bus speed and a faster cpu fsb ??? I 'm a little confused about the difference between the two??
Also this set up will not run in dual channel either, any thoughts?

Mondoman

Splendid
... It seems that my bottle neck is with the RAM
What leads you to suspect this?
..Well then i changed the timings to 3.0-3-3-8 and get the same thing.
You can only go as fast as your slowest module allows. Those are the normal timings for DDR400 on your slowest module, so you will likely have to increase them to go faster than DDR400. You may also have to increase the DIMM voltage.

If i set the memory bus at 400MHz and it follows the cpu fsb the the max OC i can get is around 3.2??
Prescotts are known to run hot; I wouldn't expect much room for OCing.

Also is it better to have the CPU FSB match the memory bus and be lower or have a lower memory bus speed and a faster cpu fsb ???
Depends on whether your apps are CPU-limited (faster CPU speed better for this) or memory-limited (faster memory speed better for this, but note that CPU cannot receive data from memory any faster than the FSB speed).
Also this set up will not run in dual channel either, any thoughts?
Is it supposed to be able to run in dual channel mode (MB manual should say if so)?

toona

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
I know i asked a lot of questions there so thank you for taking the time to answer all of them. I found out by selecting the 400 mem speed that is basically setting a 1:1 ratio and you can change that speed to 320 (5:4) ect... The auto is just selecting some other ratio.
Yeah it seems with the heat this thing is putting out im stuck around 3.45GHz.
It's ideling around 42C and toping out at around 52C. I think that temp is triggering some kind of error in prime95. thanks with all the help. I'm learning a lot this weekend. HMMM watercooling on the brain now lol

Mondoman

Splendid
52C is not that hot. Remember that the errors can come from just trying to run the CPU (or memory) too fast, not from heat. There's probably a reason that Intel sold the CPU as a 3.0GHz CPU, and not as a 3.2GHz or 3.4GHz CPU.