DS4 can't set DRAM timings?!!

Raven737

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Hi,

i just put together a new system using the Gigabyte 965 DS4 board.
i put int some expensive ddr2 (SuperTalent, supposed to be able to run 4-3-4-8 @ 800MHz) but in the bios i can only set the dram multiplier to 3 (800) but i don't see any option to change the cas timings!

now the mb is using 5-6-6-18 and i can't change it! WTF!!!

i saw on some other forums that some people apparently see a "DRAM timing selectable" menu.. but for me there is no such thing.. only the multiplier settings and then the voltage adjustments... why? :(

i am really pissed off right now, if i can't find these settings soon the mb is getting returned and this was the last time EVER that i bought a gigabyte product. i mean who in the world makes a mb without the ability to change the cas?! i bought 5 other motherboards in the past 7 years and ALL of them had the ability to change memory cas! ALL!!

the board started with F5 bios, i updated to F6, at least then i could enable SMART for my HD but i have a felling it still not using NCQ.. anybody know how to check?

thanks for any help with this! :cry:

Raven737

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
thank you so much!

i changed the settings now, memtest86 seems to crash (reboots) maybe it doesn't work with 965?

well windows starts normally.. how can i check the mem for errors while while not using memtest86.? i installed prime95, did some strees test thing.. now it
s doing lucal-lehmar iterations over an over.. will it show an error if the memory has problems with the timings i set?

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Hmm, I don't know what to do about that. Memtest worked fine for me (it's testing 440 FSB on my shiny new rig as I type on my old one)

You should get all sorts of errors if your memory's not working right. I think some prime95/orthos tests stress cpu more, while others stress memory more.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Enter BIOS
At main menu press [Ctrl+F1]
Then check under the menu options from main menu.

[Ctrl+F1 will unlock the Gigabyte BIOS, so you can change RAM times, etc, any maybe a few extra voltages hidden in BIOS before]

Raven737

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
well memtest86+ worked, though i still didn't get any chip set info, 26 passes and no error, guess the new timings are working =)

Yes the CTRL+F1 worked, it didn't unlock any new menus but it did unlock new options in for example the CIA2 menu, such as the timings i was looking for. Obviously i am a Gigabyte newbie asking this, but it was really hard to find out how to unlock this.

weird, i would think the us would get the ds4's as soon as the rest of the world... maybe they want you to buy the dq6 instead over there?
as far as i saw the DS4 in just like the DQ6 but with only 6 phase (instead of 12 phase) power but here it only cost as much as a ds3 in the US.
and a ds3 only cost 113.95 including a 16% sales tax. (so less then a 100 without)

well thanks again for all the help!