Thoughts on Norton Internet Security 2005?

I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give me
problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less than 2
weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on Wednesday night,
Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning
off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried everything to correct the
problem, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get
everything working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up
hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
various options.

I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

map

"Mark Williams" wrote:

> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
> very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
> Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give me
> problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less than 2
> weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on Wednesday night,
> Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning
> off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried everything to correct the
> problem, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get
> everything working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up
> hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
> various options.
>
> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
> just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

I have had problems with the Norton firewall in the past and no longer use
any products from them,also a friend of mine has had the same issue as you
are having,

Mark Williams wrote:
> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and
> was very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC
> Magazine. Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was
> starting to give me problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has
> been installed less than 2 weeks and it blew me out of the water.
> After the update on Wednesday night, Microsoft Outlook was no longer
> able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning off the firewall corrected
> the problem. I tried everything to correct the problem, but
> eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get everything
> working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up hanging
> number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
> various options.
> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this
> was just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

Nope - it's a Norton product. Things will only get...worse. NIS - Not
Intrinsically Secure, or, as a reminder Never Install (Norton) Software.
on salads.

"Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
> I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and
> was very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC
> Magazine. Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was
> starting to give me problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has
> been installed less than 2 weeks and it blew me out of the water.
> After the update on Wednesday night, Microsoft Outlook was no longer
> able to send/receive any e-mails. Turning off the firewall corrected
> the problem. I tried everything to correct the problem, but
> eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005 to get everything
> working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also ended up hanging
> number of times when I was trying to make simple changes among the
> various options.
> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this
> was just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

I never allow anything from Symantec (Norton) or McAfee on any computer I
support.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I see into serious system damage caused by Symantec AV and security products
on a regular basis in service work (more than by all the other av / security
products combined). When problems occur, it is often a nightmare to repair
them. A wide range of crashes and system errors are common. Norton hacks
deeply into the OS installing dozens of dll's and registry entries. Product
uninstalls consistently fail leaving serious conflicts. Symantec has
alleged repair utilities on their web site which almost never work. I
unusually have to spend hours doing registry searches and fixes, removing
the files pointed to in the registry and from varous program and services
startup points. I strongly recommend to my clients that they avoid these
products.
--

"Mark Williams" <MWilliams@att.net> wrote in message
>I heard a lot of good things about Norton Internet Security 2005 and was
>very impressed by the write-up and comparison to McAfee in PC Magazine.
>Norton Antivirus worked well for me, but my BlackIce was starting to give
>me problems, so I decided to give it a try. It has been installed less than
>2 weeks and it blew me out of the water. After the update on Wednesday
>night, Microsoft Outlook was no longer able to send/receive any e-mails.
>Turning off the firewall corrected the problem. I tried everything to
>correct the problem, but eventually had to uninstall and reinstall NIS 2005
>to get everything working again. In working the problem, NIS 2005 also
>ended up hanging number of times when I was trying to make simple changes
>among the various options.
>
> I am interested in if others are having similar challenges or if this was
> just a fluke and it will be smooth sailing from here???

> I never allow anything from Symantec (Norton) or McAfee on any computer I
> support.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Could you please suggest what Anti-virus software would be preferable to
Symantec?

Regards

Cycle.

"Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I never allow anything from Symantec (Norton) or McAfee on any
>> computer I support.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>
> Could you please suggest what Anti-virus software would be
> preferable to Symantec?
>
> Regards
>
> Cycle.

Anything but McAfee.
I use AVG 7, available free from
http://www.grisoft.com

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Cycle" <notvalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I never allow anything from Symantec (Norton) or McAfee on any
>>> computer I support.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>
>> Could you please suggest what Anti-virus software would be
>> preferable to Symantec?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Cycle.
>
> Anything but McAfee.
> I use AVG 7, available free from
> http://www.grisoft.com
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

Thank you for your response and the information.

Regards

Cycle

Frank,

I found Avast Virus program leaves Norton for dead. It smoothly integrates
with the OS without taking what I term 'taking over the system' like Norton
seems to do. Try to do an uninstall of Norton's Antivirus and there are
always remnants left.

And the good thing is that Avast home edition is FREE.

Regards