xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Hello everyone,

This is regarding an office computer at work (that i'm on now) that is windows XP and isnt even on SP1, and we cannot update here. i recently received an adware(?) one of those fake virus scanners that tell you to sign up due to infections. i looked up instructions how to remove, and so far it seems like i did the job. i also noticed that the internet security was bumped really high... so i tried lowering them. that fixed a lot of browsing issues that i had after the fix.

problem now is that my GTalk wont log in. it actually says "connecting" on the status bar, then an error pops up "Could not authenticate server."

This is not the only issue. whenever this computer is on, it effects other computers connected to the same network and makes all the internet inconsistent. it seemingly shuts on and off multiple times every 2-5 minutes. so far i've had to shut this computer down to get by work, but i need to use this computer for other things too.

you guys probably need more information or something, please let me know how i can help you help me... very much appreciated!

-XaeLee

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
funny you should say that!
in fact the issue i have is that i DID download that program and it DID solve my original problem. the thing is i believe i got rid of the malware and after that i just uninstalled malwarebytes. my current state is the result.

So you don't patch your PC and you wonder why you have problems. Why can you not update?? I guess you'll not answer that one.

Seriously you need to get that install blasted and start from scratch. It's the only way you will ever be sure you got rid of it all. People that run infected systems connected to the net are akin to the Girlfriend that cheats on you then gives you an STD.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
lol, that's quite graphic for a computer issue.

anyway, YES i do agree. formatting this computer is probably the only way i can be 100% sure. Again this is an office computer, and its not my rules. i have my own pc at home that i maintain properly (updates, paid for security software, regular maintenance), but i just cant do whatever i want with this computer.

Is anyone who can help me with my given situation and limitations?