Old problem - folder view settings!

January 8, 2005 9:48:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

I am sorry to post a snag that has been dealt with here before a few times
already but I could not find earlier discussions to look for a workable
response!

Anyhow, Explorer on one computer here now opens folders with a different
view almost every time it is launched. Sometimes tiles will be displayed,
sometimes, icons, and sometimes thumbnails! Also some folders now show
multimedia content even though they were 'customized' as containing
documents earlier! Views would be set only to open as something else next
time!

Almost every setting has been appropriately selected in Folder Settings and
the BagsMRU set to 4000 (which is what I remembered from before) that both
me and the user could think of. Nothing worked.

Nothing that affects the working of the machine in the slightest, but
perfectly irritating and annoying though!

The machine has been checked for any worms and bugs too - clean!

Thanks for any suggestions.

SS
January 8, 2005 9:48:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
(200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently Used'
basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this to 8000
by adding this edit to the registry.

Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

Windows Explorer/View/[Select Accordingly]. Then Tools/Folder
Options/View/Apply to All Folders.

Note: XP-SP2 ups it to 5000.

--
All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"Andromedan" <Andromedan@andromeda.nebula> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am sorry to post a snag that has been dealt with here before a few times
> already but I could not find earlier discussions to look for a workable
> response!
>
> Anyhow, Explorer on one computer here now opens folders with a different
> view almost every time it is launched. Sometimes tiles will be displayed,
> sometimes, icons, and sometimes thumbnails! Also some folders now show
> multimedia content even though they were 'customized' as containing
> documents earlier! Views would be set only to open as something else next
> time!
>
> Almost every setting has been appropriately selected in Folder Settings
> and
> the BagsMRU set to 4000 (which is what I remembered from before) that both
> me and the user could think of. Nothing worked.
>
> Nothing that affects the working of the machine in the slightest, but
> perfectly irritating and annoying though!
>
> The machine has been checked for any worms and bugs too - clean!
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.
>
> SS

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 6:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks Kelly, I will try this out!

- SS

news:o mskNKV9EHA.2112@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> By default, Windows is designed to remember 400 different folder settings
> (200 local folders and 200 network folders, for a total of 400 folders).
> Windows will start to re-use these stored settings on a 'Most Recently
> Used' basis, once the folder limit has been exceeded. You can change this
> to 8000 by adding this edit to the registry.
>
> Run this edit, then reset your preferred folder options:
>
> Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)
>
> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
>
> Windows Explorer/View/[Select Accordingly]. Then Tools/Folder
> Options/View/Apply to All Folders.
>
> Note: XP-SP2 ups it to 5000.
>

> --
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "Andromedan" <Andromedan@andromeda.nebula> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am sorry to post a snag that has been dealt with here before a few
>> times
>> already but I could not find earlier discussions to look for a workable
>> response!
>>
>> Anyhow, Explorer on one computer here now opens folders with a different
>> view almost every time it is launched. Sometimes tiles will be displayed,
>> sometimes, icons, and sometimes thumbnails! Also some folders now show
>> multimedia content even though they were 'customized' as containing
>> documents earlier! Views would be set only to open as something else next
>> time!
>>
>> Almost every setting has been appropriately selected in Folder Settings
>> and
>> the BagsMRU set to 4000 (which is what I remembered from before) that
>> both
>> me and the user could think of. Nothing worked.
>>
>> Nothing that affects the working of the machine in the slightest, but
>> perfectly irritating and annoying though!
>>
>> The machine has been checked for any worms and bugs too - clean!
>>
>> Thanks for any suggestions.
>>
>> SS

January 9, 2005 3:54:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Most welcome and good luck!

--

!