Sign in with
Your question

Pretty Scary.......

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2006 8:40:16 PM

i used Catalysit control panel to adjust my card's performance. It's the X1950XT. So anyways, i let the program find the best clock speed for my computer. While it was testing the card, the temps were as high as 98 C..........

I was thinking about keeping the GPU fan speed at 100%..... but will that effect anything else besides Noise? I can careless about the noise because i will be having my head-phones on... but will it affect Power Supply or negatively affect speed in general?

How hot can these cards go without burning up?????

Is it safe to keep the fan speed on my graphics card at 100%?

More about : pretty scary

December 9, 2006 8:50:47 PM

Yikes man! 98c is way too hot. 50-60 durring a game is normal - 60 - 65 is safe, anything over that is getting too hot - regardless being 98c! Either the heat sink isn't on correctly or you got a lemon. :? I run my fan at 55% tops, wouldn't want your fan to burn out. Topping it out will only help you drop a minor few celcius anyhow.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tempconvjava.html C to F conversion.

98c = 208 degrees fahrenheit. Your board could start melting 8O
December 9, 2006 9:04:53 PM

I get into the 80s sometime during gaming.

98C is hot, but not totally dangerous.

@ OP

Try running the fan at 100% or close to it, while gaming. While not gaming, have it about 50-65%, to have it idling at decent temps.
Related resources
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 9, 2006 9:21:10 PM

My GT's will regularly get to 70-75c+ when gaming and the temp throttle back set by the drivers is 125c so like prozac26 said 98c whilst a bit warm is no reason to press the panic button, just crank the fan speed up and it should be OK.
December 9, 2006 9:36:09 PM

i think 101C is the the max temp that ATi CCC will allow, it will throttle back at that point. Although i dont recommend running at 90C for any continuous period of time your card is fine and not melting. ATi gpu's were meant to run hot. so your fine but why did you overclock it anyway if it was already performing well enough for you?
December 9, 2006 9:43:01 PM

well, i just wanted to make sure i get the best performance out this card. The only time it reached 98C was during the testing period in Catlyst.

so i got a different answers... which one should i go with? Blacken is saying it's mighty dangerous and the others are saying its ok, but a increasing the fan speed will help.....

I actually set the fan speed to 100% and it did not drop only a few numbers... the temperature dropped drastically........
December 9, 2006 9:53:23 PM

I have heard repeatedly that 70+ is a bit hot. Must be an ATi thing :)  Comparable Radeons use more wattage also which could be the difference between nV and ATi. My 7900GS is clocked to the artifacting point, AAx4/AFx16, 12x10res, 55%fan will max at 66c.
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 9, 2006 10:06:00 PM

That was an assumption on my part that Ati cards could run as hot as Nvidia one's, if they can't then maybe the OP might want to think about some water cooling.
December 9, 2006 10:58:57 PM

Keep it under 80C or you'll kill the GPU slowly.

Try to keep it under 74 C.
December 10, 2006 3:24:54 PM

I don't know if it's just my experiences or in general but from what I've seen ATI cards run really hot. My friends X800XT is usually around 80 or 85C. I think the highest I've ever seen my 8800 GTX get was 79C and that was during 3dmark06. Usually it idles around 60C.
December 10, 2006 5:25:04 PM

I have an X850 XT PE, and it usually runs in the mid to high 80s (deg C) under max load and standard fan control. I haven't ever had a problem.
December 10, 2006 8:17:54 PM

if it were a competition ATi cards could run hotter longer than nvidia cards, thats just how they were designed. If your nvidia card ever got to 120C it would fry for sure. Nvidia cards run cooler and are not meant to go that high, which is a good thing cause that means less power draw and lower fan noise. thats apparent by the fact that nvidia cards will start to artifact at temperatures ATi cards run fine at.
!