AMD and nvidia are in serious legal trouble: Price fixing

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
this is kinda weird, i'm like 100% okay with the prices of cards... so imagine it if the prices were "uninflated." WOW. i mean i can get like all i want for very close to $100 (decent 7-series cards), and others can put out more dough for more performance (8 series specifically), so i'm not quite sure what the hubbub is.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
:) :) -- you know, I think this is just a bunch of bolstering.... the DOJ and FTC often engage in these type of investigations for various reasons, in large markets with few players, investigations will pop up ever so often just to a) keep companies honest and b) job justification for the investigators :) .... if anything comes of this, it will be minor.

All it really does is provide a headache for the key players and expends some resources answering the allegations and questions.

yeah, i'm not really worried about them being taken out of the game or anything, it just kinda suxxors for them. less time perfecting their new dx10 gem (which i hope will boost them well out of whatever hole this may set them in) !

i really can't see how prices are gouged or fixed... and/or how old fat white guys who probably can't even pronounce NVIDIA in conversation *know how overexpensive these cards are*. stupidity ftw!

although those like *secret meetings* they referred to were kinda bad sounding... i don't care, i can get the kinda performance i want for cheap, so whatever.

I am not sure he can read.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Bungwa

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
some resources answering the allegations and questions.investigations will pop up ever so often just to a) keep companies honest and b) job justification for the investigators .... if anything comes of this, it will be minor.

Totally agree with this opinion

Edit: want to apologize for my first post on these forums , where I referred to JJ as a "somewhat Intel fanboy", actually that isn't an exact qoute. I respect his opinion , even though he appears as somewhat Intel biased :p , but maybe for good reason with the current standings between Intel and AMD processors.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
According to BaronMatrix, Intel initiated the investigation.
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Intel-AMD-nVidia-subpeonas-ftopict212602.html

Of course, his reference makes no mention of this, but he sites it anyway....

I am not sure he can read.

You are such an a-hle. I said no such thing, The title of the post was "Is Intel behind the subpeonas" from a story in The Register IS means it's a question not a statement.

And the words would be "CITES", not SITES.

Please. Cites, sites, who give a crap.

You started a thread where you use the Register's story as a way to put the blame of AMD/ATI and nVidia's subpoenas as part of Intel's evil plan, when the story that was PUBLISHED in the Register was nothing more than explaining what Intel had in mind when creating a development section for GPUs, that would compete with nvidia and AMD/ATI. No where in that article did the Register even mention DoJ activity against nvidia or AMD/ATI. No where.

And yet you stick with your guns about how that article implies that "Is Intel behind the subpoenas"? BS.

You saw something that had INTEL in the Register, forgot to read the freaking article, and determined that it had to be the factor for a DoJ subpeona. Pure and utter BS.

Oh, you can call me an "a-hole", or whatever fits in your little mind. I don't give a crap. I'm tried of reading your misinformation and twisting of articles. Next time, make the time to READ the damn article, before you CITE it as a fact for your unbelievable BS.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
on July 13 an X2 3800+ was 350 bucks, on July 14th it was 160 bucks
actually you may very well have hit the nail on the head here. I think the drastic price drop tipped their hand as to exactly how much these things are over priced. they will look at this as an example into why they did not do this earlier and whether or not other things in the industry are over priced. :?:

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Well, until a couple years ago, graphics card prices topped out at about $200. As I said in another thread.... then along came along the 6600GT which STUCK at $200 for a year. That was unheard of . At the same time, the high end cards stuck at $300 and $400 for a year.

Does anyone believe a card like the 8800 should cost more than a premium XBox360, or should cost more than a high quality motherboard WITH gigs of high quality RAM? Does anyone believe that the high end cards should cost MORE than the rest of the system put together?

Smells like price fixing to me. The laws that apply to the rest of the free market don't apply here. This market is more like pharmaceuticals... the price starts high and stays high until the next drug/graphics card comes to take its place... then the price on the previous high end card/drug magically drops, as do all the other prices.

Now, you can claim that they need to recover R&D costs. But every other facet of the computer and electronics industry has R&D costs, too, and the prices do not behave like the graphics card market.

That said... I dont care. I simply dont play games that require a $500 expediture for horsepower. If I was a software seller, I'd be mad as H*** that Nvidia and ATI were limiting my market and my ability to make a living . Because I WOULD be playing those games if the hardware was not so expensive. So if the charge is true, you can see that the price fixing has hurt others besides consumers.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Well, until a couple years ago, graphics card prices topped out at about $200. As I said in another thread.... then along came along the 6600GT which STUCK at $200 for a year. That was unheard of . At the same time, the high end cards stuck at $300 and $400 for a year.

Does anyone believe a card like the 8800 should cost more than a premium XBox360, or should cost more than a high quality motherboard WITH gigs of high quality RAM? Does anyone believe that the high end cards should cost MORE than the rest of the system put together?

Smells like price fixing to me. The laws that apply to the rest of the free market don't apply here. This market is more like pharmaceuticals... the price starts high and stays high until the next drug/graphics card comes to take its place... then the price on the previous high end card/drug magically drops, as do all the other prices.

Now, you can claim that they need to recover R&D costs. But every other facet of the computer and electronics industry has R&D costs, too, and the prices do not behave like the graphics card market.

That said... I dont care. I simply dont play games that require a $500 expediture for horsepower. If I was a software seller, I'd be mad as H*** that Nvidia and ATI were limiting my market and my ability to make a living . Because I WOULD be playing those games if the hardware was not so expensive. So if the charge is true, you can see that the price fixing has hurt others besides consumers.

I agree that some of the prices are exorbitant and can´t be justified, but a GPU has a pretty short life cycle too. How long do you think will a 8800 be okay? I bet that this time next year there will be new features introduced to DX10 (10.1 or something) and people will lust after the new cards.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The correlation between RAM prices and high end GPU's doesn't hold water. RAM is needed by every system and price fixing might be cause for DOJ to look into it. High end GPU's are a niche/enthusiast market and it makes sense (from a business perspective) that prices are market driven, e.g., pricing is at what the current market will support and what people are willing to pay. Why do people think it's some deep dark conspiracy? Those same people are still on the lookout for the "black helicopters" :roll:

Wombat2

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
Three companies != free market

In fact two companies ... Intel doesnt make enthusiast level gear.

TWO COMPANIES WOULD NEVER COLLUDE ON PRICING!
\
:D <= you

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I think AMD deserves it after all the crap they're constantly claiming Intel does.

EDIT: AMD's practically saying they own both Nvidia and ATI on their website.

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Well, you can't claim price fixing on that, unfortunately, as they didn't charge you to watch it. :wink:

I'm going to go with Jack's idea that they're just "investigating" because that's their job, they have nothing better do to, and while technically there are the same amount of players in the GPU market OR the CPU market, there's essentially one less in both combined now.

hondacr123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
How do you think this will effect the new cards they are making. Do you seriously think their engineers are going to be pulling paperwork? That sounds like a waste of $$$ and sounds like your retarded.

As for the prices I think they def need to come down. 500 dollars is a hell of a lot to pay for something that will be obsolete the second you buy it.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
How do you think this will effect the new cards they are making. Do you seriously think their engineers are going to be pulling paperwork? That sounds like a waste of $$$ and sounds like your retarded.

As for the prices I think they def need to come down. 500 dollars is a hell of a lot to pay for something that will be obsolete the second you buy it.

nah, man, calm down. its all cool. relax..... WOOshaw, WOOshaw.

i was just saying, i hope this crap doesn't adversely affect the companies involved. doesn't everyone? i wouldn't imagine engineers paper pushing, but i would regret it if the company would shift its weight and throw more into the possible court case. see what i mean? i'm not worried about them going out of business or anything, just sayin.

if you pay $500, you don't get something that is obsolete the instant you buy it. you just gotta make a stand at some point and BUY something. yeah, it will eventually be outdated, thats the way these things work. i have a card, a 9550, that is quite old as far as cards go. does it suit me fine? yeah. can i game at high? yeah. not on all games, true. but you can't expect any card to ALWAYS play new games maxed out. if i had $500, and i invested it in a card, i'm sure i'd love the card. only thing is, i'm not that kind of computer consumer, i'm more of a bottom feeder b/c i'm an unemployed student.

i don't mean to sound like i'm lecturing.. but do you see what i'm saying? don't gotta be callin me retarded and all that. its all good.

hondacr123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
It wasnt directed at you, more like everyone. Think about it, ATI/Nvidia make their money with pretty much every new series that comes out. People will buy their new cars at a premium and because of it we all suffer. Look at any other industry and tell me one that prices the way the GPU industry does. Im not saying these things shouldnt cost money when they first come out but where do you draw the line? This industry makes me want to drop $600 into and ps3 and be set for at least a few years running every game that comes out for it.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
It wasnt directed at you, more like everyone. Think about it, ATI/Nvidia make their money with pretty much every new series that comes out. People will buy their new cars at a premium and because of it we all suffer. Look at any other industry and tell me one that prices the way the GPU industry does. Im not saying these things shouldnt cost money when they first come out but where do you draw the line? This industry makes me want to drop $600 into and ps3 and be set for at least a few years running every game that comes out for it.

yeah, of course. the fact that there are many people who MUST rush out and buy the new 8-series cards is what keeps prices high for us all, and keeps people like me in the lower-class of gfxes. i don't really mind, but a ps3 is quite tempting... you can pay that much for a computer gfx, which will just be more of the same, or you can try something new with the ps3. i may get one if i had the money, or wasn't anti-sony when it comes to consoles. nobody's stopping you from getting that ps3. i just prefer to stick with computers because i like the other things that they can do. and now this is turning into another ps3 vs. computer thread. sorry 'bout that.

hondacr123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Same thing here I love building and using computers but I like to play new games that come out and im not gonna keep throwing money into this endless pot. If gpu prices go back to old times I will be happy. Thats all.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
Same thing here I love building and using computers but I like to play new games that come out and im not gonna keep throwing money into this endless pot. If gpu prices go back to old times I will be happy. Thats all.

i'm young, and don't remember the "old times." but they sure sound nice! the thing is, what i do is pick a point and stick my flag in the computer tech at that time by building a decent rig. then, as it gets older, y'know, it shows more than a console, but i can still enjoy it. my point is, not everyone upgrades monthly, although some do, and the fact that this is a semi-enthusiast crowd on these forums mean you'll be reading from people with large, shiny, phallic e-penises. i'm good with my old soc A machine. its all relative, though, its all relative.