Tags:
  • Website Opinions
  • Hardware
  • Facebook
  • Tom's Hardware
Last response: in Site Feedback
January 18, 2011 6:51:49 PM

I've never been so disappointed!

What is with toms hardware and their contests lately? Every contest i've seen has been limited to facebook, thus alienating the people who do not wish to sell their souls to evil. Seriously? do i HAVE to like your page every time i wanna join a contest? why can't I just comment on the article instead?

Honest to god. this is extremely disappointing. I'd never thought this site would stoop so low.

I know i'm not the only one either.

More about : toms making join facebook

January 19, 2011 1:10:06 AM

Well at least they're not restricting it to US-only members every time. They did that for the longest time due to legal restrictions.
a b Ç Facebook
January 19, 2011 1:00:34 PM

Not every contest we've done has been restricted to Facebook. Users here had the same chance at winning a Tom's Hammer, for instance, just by posting a holiday signature or avatar in a contest thread a couple of weeks ago. Additionally, you don't have to Like our page for every instance of a contest - if you already Like it, just post in the article comments. In fact, the contest blurb says as much. Facebook itself has a population of more than 500 million, and it would be poor of us to not try and engage those users with the Tom's community.
Related resources
January 22, 2011 9:14:47 AM

What about the 5 billion that hate Facebook?

If I go near anything that is linked to Facebook thats as far as I go.
January 22, 2011 10:56:57 AM

Well, that is your choice.
January 22, 2011 12:33:44 PM

True enough, I won't be a member of Toms Hardware Social Networking Forum.

Lets just hope it doesn't come to that. :D 
January 23, 2011 1:24:59 AM

Well a forum is a form of social networking, really. Just more anonymous.
January 23, 2011 5:22:42 AM

randomizer said:

I'm starting to see "waiting for facebook.com" while some forum pages are trying to load and they take so long I hit the Back button.. Is this part of some tie up or other?

I avoid Facebook as much as possible although I did set up an account in a totally false name and linked to a disposable e-mail address to demonstrate how easy it is to be whoever you want to be on there, to a mother of two young children. After that demonstration she asked me to bar them from using it which I did in the router settings but three weeks later I was called to go back and undo that because the children were being bullied at school for not having Facebook pages.

Facebook has gone out of control already and cannot be stopped now.

January 23, 2011 7:22:20 AM

At the top of each thread is a "be the first of your friends to like this" button, so that's probably what you're seeing when there's facebook stuff loading.
January 23, 2011 8:38:33 AM

randomizer said:
At the top of each thread is a "be the first of your friends to like this" button, so that's probably what you're seeing when there's facebook stuff loading.

One is much obliged. :D 

EDIT - Some hours later this Transferring data from facebook.com is becoming a nuisance. After twenty seconds of waiting for a post to open, I have to hit F5 to refresh. If we are to be tied in in this way, can Facebook not put up some dedicated serviers?

January 23, 2011 11:54:53 AM

randomizer said:

Yes but it is nice to think that the social part is based around a common interest in computing etc etc.

Just being thrown into the world of general idiotic chit chat that Facebook promotes would seriously degrade the knowledgeable profile that Toms has obviously worked so hard over the years to build up.

You wanna post cr*p about washing your car and pics from Sat night then go and join the kids on Facebook. :hello: 
January 23, 2011 10:08:48 PM

I guess you haven't seen my signature ;) 
January 23, 2011 10:40:01 PM

Yes but I wasn't sure if it was serious or not. :heink: 
January 24, 2011 12:38:28 AM

It is and it isn't. It's obviously a parody of the "Find us on Facebook" thing, but quite honestly I don't like Facebook. i had to modify the original image a bit to make it more suitable for a moderator though ;) 
January 24, 2011 5:55:11 AM

randomizer said:
i had to modify the original image a bit to make it more suitable for a moderator though ;) 

I cannot possibly think how they may have been offended by it. :D  You won't find me on there either - there are dozens of other Lord Lucans to sort through before you get to me. :D 

January 27, 2011 3:53:04 AM

FaceBook: "Hey, we're all going to hell in a handbasket, Join us"

Or,, "This is an offer you can't refuse"

or.. What part of "Join us" don't you understand?

Or,, You didn't quite understand... "You can't refuse"

or... Do as we say.. or die."

Now it is a privilege to live, because we allow you to. We decide when you have been here long enough, and will tell you when it is time to go.

Normally, when you are no longer an actual benefit to us, we will expire your existence. You will obey us, even as a compulsive duty, even when we tell you to die, without a thought otherwise.

You are only a visitor here, don't forget that, we will expel you at will. Always do as we say.
a b Ç Facebook
February 1, 2011 1:11:35 PM

Hah! Come on now friends, it's not at all a dystopian wasteland of privacy violating thinkbots on Facebook. Most people are enamoured with it because they get to get in contact with people who they've lost touch with over the years and decades - without going through all the trouble of hunting them down. If they use that to better sell you Coco-Puffs, is that truly an inexcusable Orwellian situation?
February 1, 2011 5:42:44 PM

Now you put it like that, in light of the greater scheme of things - no.

February 1, 2011 6:10:39 PM

I don't care what anyone else chooses to do with their time, but the point here is having a choice.
February 1, 2011 10:05:58 PM

jpishgar said:
If they use that to better sell you Coco-Puffs, is that truly an inexcusable Orwellian situation?

That depends if you like Coco-Puffs :) 
February 2, 2011 8:12:43 AM

jpishgar said:
Not every contest we've done has been restricted to Facebook. Users here had the same chance at winning a Tom's Hammer, for instance, just by posting a holiday signature or avatar in a contest thread a couple of weeks ago. Additionally, you don't have to Like our page for every instance of a contest - if you already Like it, just post in the article comments. In fact, the contest blurb says as much. Facebook itself has a population of more than 500 million, and it would be poor of us to not try and engage those users with the Tom's community.

Talking of that, still no prize. :( 
a b Ç Facebook
February 2, 2011 12:56:26 PM

Choice, true - it comes down to that. You have my word that I will provide additional opportunities to obtain prizes exclusive jumping in with Facebook. The community hath spoken!
February 2, 2011 1:00:30 PM

I have taken the opportunity to win that contest but I am yet to receive my wonderful prize. :p 
!