Sign in with
Your question

Help before I shoot this thing!!!

Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2006 12:10:59 AM

Recently built a system using AM2 3800+, DFI INFINITY NF ULTRAII-M2 nForce4 Ultra and eVGA 7900GS for my son. No problems worked great.

Now I'm trying to install a DVD RW/CD RW drive and it's killing me.

I bought a Liteon drive and installed it. Under "My Computer" it shows up and in the "device manager" it is listed correctly, but it wouldn't open any disk. I thought maybe it was bad so I took it back and bought a Sony DRU-820A drive. Same issue.

I searched the Sony site and I don't see any drivers to update (are there drivers for optical drives?)

I'm using Win XP w/ SP2 and have everything updated.

This has to be a software issue, but I am completely stumped and my son is tapping his foot holding his new (and useless) copy of Oblivion.

Thanks

More about : shoot thing

December 10, 2006 12:26:33 AM

Yeah, its set up as the master with the jumper and it shows up correctly in the bios
December 10, 2006 12:42:26 AM

so the drive itself opens physically but it won't access any disks you put in? have you tried different formats? i mean, i'm not telling you to go out and buy every format of disk that your drive will burn, but if you have any like cds or other dvds laying around, do they work?

when you say the won't read, does the lil icon change in my computer? does a disk appear on the pic and you just can't open it? or does nothing happen?

i'm really sorry that this isn't working, i know COMPLETELY how frustrating these things can be.
Related resources
December 10, 2006 12:46:37 AM

I haven't tried burning yet, just hoping to get it to read.

The icon changes from the empty Drive E: to a generic DVD or CD icon. I've tried game CDs, Audio CDs, movie DVDs and game DVDs.

I can see the title when I open up a program like nero or win media player, but then it will just sit and spin. Can't open it with autorun, explorer or player.

I'm searching the MS website, but nothing looks promising since all my downloads are current
December 10, 2006 1:14:28 AM

yeah, sorry for being kinda unclear, i meant either burn or read... ANYWAY, thing is, i really don't know what to say. drivers check out... do you have the cable in right-side up? i know that can mess floppy drives up, which are TOTALLY different... i'm sorry, man, i'm a n00b. good luck tho, big time! i hate lil bugs like these.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2006 1:20:06 AM

Try setting the drive to Cable Select.
Any other IDE drives in your system?
Have you tried setting the drive up on the 2nd IDE channel?
December 10, 2006 1:25:43 AM

Last time I had an issue like that I ended up blowing away the partition completely and re-installing Windows from scratch.

It turned out to be a conflict with drivers installed by some DVD copying software I had evaluated and subsequently removed. The removal didn't work properly and left the drivers in a sort of disconnected state.

At the time of my issue I didn't know enough about LSPs to have tried to fix it. And re-installing Windows over itself wasn't helpful either.

If this is your problem...

There are software programs that are designed to debug Layered Service Providers, for diagnostic purposes and to locate some of the more clever varieties of spyware, that might help you find what went awry and fix it.

Look for LSP-Fix and any articles you can find on its use. Ignore the fact that the articles don't refer specifically to optical drives, the principles are similar.

Another thought is that improper removal of rootkit type stuff (like Sony's DRM crap) can also cause this issue.

Good luck,

-Brad
December 10, 2006 1:38:51 AM

Thanks for the ideas everyone

This machine has 2 IDE HDD and a CD-RW drive that is currently set as the slave on the same cable as the new DVD/CD drive

not sure about switching around the IDE ports - will that screw up the HDD/windows if I do that??? Really don't want to go through the whole reinstall windows thing

I did try changing the slave/master and it didn't make any difference

There was no burning/playback software on the machine except for windows med player. I did install the nero software that came with the drive, but no difference.

It has to be a windows issue, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
December 10, 2006 1:47:46 AM

Quote:
a CD-RW drive that is currently set as the slave on the same cable as the new DVD/CD drive
Set both drives to the Cable Select settings.
Also try the DVD with the CD-RW disconnected from the data cable.
December 10, 2006 2:34:51 AM

The drive wouldn't show up at all when both optical drives were set to CS.

Disconnected the cd-rw and set the DVD/CD to master and no change - still can't open/read any disk

There HAS to be something in either windows or the MB since I've had the same result with two separate DVD/CD drives from two different manufacturers.

It just frustrates the hell out of me that I can build a whole system that works great but can't get a damn DVD player to work :evil: 
December 10, 2006 3:29:10 AM

Hmm... it might be a longshot, but have you tried another IDE cable?
December 10, 2006 3:47:01 AM

At this point, that's about my last hope - been screwing around with this thing for almost 6 straight hours. I have another cable around here somewhere.

I'm thinking it has to be something with the DFI board. I'm going to pull it out of this box and try it with my Epox board. Has to be a bios setting somewhere that is eluding me.

Thanks all
December 10, 2006 4:32:20 AM

Drive works perfect with my Epox board. Don't know if it's because the Epox is a 570 and the DFI is a Nforce 4 or what.

Comparing the hardware settings between the two systems, I think it has something to do with the IDE settings - on the Epox board they're set to "ultra DMA2" - on the DFI they're set to "let bios choose"

In the morning I'll try and mess with it again. If anyone has more ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for helping me eliminate possibilities.
December 10, 2006 5:51:37 PM

OK, it only took about 12 hours of insanity to finally figure this out.

If anyone else runs into this problem, the solution is to check the IDE settings under the IDE controller in the device manager.

For whatever reason, don't know if it's a default setting with the DFI MB or what, it was set to "let bios choose" and the bios chose DMA 5.

When I compared all the settings against the Epox system, this one was set to DMA 2 on the Epox. I changed the setting in the DFI machine and the drive works like a champ.

What threw me off for the longest time is that the device manager on the Epox system specifically says "Primary IDE channel" and "secondary IDE channel" - on the DFI machine it says Nvidia Atapi or something like that. I thought I was messing with two different things.

Maybe this was just my issue, couldn't find crap about it anywhere, but hopefully folks here can pass it on if it comes up in the forums again.

Thanks to all of you who helped me eliminate the possibilities.

WEB
December 10, 2006 6:49:06 PM

Quote:
OK, it only took about 12 hours of insanity to finally figure this out.

If anyone else runs into this problem, the solution is to check the IDE settings under the IDE controller in the device manager.

For whatever reason, don't know if it's a default setting with the DFI MB or what, it was set to "let bios choose" and the bios chose DMA 5.

When I compared all the settings against the Epox system, this one was set to DMA 2 on the Epox. I changed the setting in the DFI machine and the drive works like a champ.

What threw me off for the longest time is that the device manager on the Epox system specifically says "Primary IDE channel" and "secondary IDE channel" - on the DFI machine it says Nvidia Atapi or something like that. I thought I was messing with two different things.

Maybe this was just my issue, couldn't find crap about it anywhere, but hopefully folks here can pass it on if it comes up in the forums again.

Thanks to all of you who helped me eliminate the possibilities.

WEB

congrats! enjoy your newly working drive!

pretty nifty fix, too.
!