XP Screensaver

HI
Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
list.
I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
still did not appear on the screensaver list.
I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
in the right direction. Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about screensaver

    Hi

    Is it a 32-bit screensaver?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Beachcomber" <beachcomber@mail.com> wrote in message
    > HI
    > Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
    > work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
    > had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
    > list.
    > I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
    > screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
    > still did not appear on the screensaver list.
    > I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
    > just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
    > I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
    > in the right direction. Thanks.

    Hi

    Did you put the file into the windows\system folder or the window\system32
    folder? It needs to go in the latter.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Beachcomber" <beachcomber@mail.com> wrote in message
    > HI
    > Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
    > work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
    > had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
    > list.
    > I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
    > screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
    > still did not appear on the screensaver list.
    > I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
    > just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
    > I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
    > in the right direction. Thanks.

    Are you sure its a jpg file???

    Beachcomber wrote:
    > HI
    > Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
    > work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
    > had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
    > list.
    > I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
    > screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
    > still did not appear on the screensaver list.
    > I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
    > just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
    > I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
    > in the right direction. Thanks.

    Contact the manufacturer of the software and ask them for WinXP
    installation instructions.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Beachcomber wrote:
    > HI
    > Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
    > work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
    > had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
    > list.
    > I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
    > screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
    > still did not appear on the screensaver list.
    > I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
    > just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
    > I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
    > in the right direction. Thanks.

    Look here for tips and help:

    Johnny Castaway Screen Saver Home page
    http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gnudawn/johnny/

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:11:18 +0700, Beachcomber wrote:

    > HI
    > Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
    > work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
    > had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
    > list.
    > I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
    > screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
    > still did not appear on the screensaver list.
    > I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
    > just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
    > I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
    > in the right direction. Thanks.

    I don't think this one is compatible to XP in a way that allows it to be
    used with the Display> Screensaver page.

    Workaround to try: If you add a shortcut to the screensaver in your startup
    folder, it should load at startup and stay running in the background. If
    all works out well, it will kick in when the system is idle.

    If not, remove the shortcut from the startup folder and try plan b: place a
    shortcut to the screensaver on the desktop or tucked into the start menu
    somewhere. Using the shortcut's properties sheets, assign a keyboard
    shortcut. Use the keyboard shortcut to manually launch the screensaver when
    it's needed.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Thanks for all your help, Frankly I didn't know if Johnny Castaway was 16 or
    32 bit but have since followed the link to his homepage and there is some
    good advice for me to try. Yes I did dump it in system 32 but that did not
    work. It's gratifying to realize that I am not the only one that likes this
    old but quaint screensaver. - thanks all again.

Screensaver Windows XP