XP Screensaver

January 8, 2005 9:11:18 PM

HI
Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
list.
I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
still did not appear on the screensaver list.
I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
in the right direction. Thanks.

More about : screensaver

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:11:19 PM

Hi

Is it a 32-bit screensaver?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Beachcomber" <beachcomber@mail.com> wrote in message
> HI
> Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
> work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
> had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
> list.
> I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
> screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
> still did not appear on the screensaver list.
> I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
> just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
> I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
> in the right direction. Thanks.

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:11:19 PM

Hi

Did you put the file into the windows\system folder or the window\system32
folder? It needs to go in the latter.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Beachcomber" <beachcomber@mail.com> wrote in message
> HI
> Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
> work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
> had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
> list.
> I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
> screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
> still did not appear on the screensaver list.
> I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
> just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
> I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
> in the right direction. Thanks.

January 8, 2005 9:11:19 PM

Are you sure its a jpg file???

Beachcomber wrote:
> HI
> Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
> work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
> had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
> list.
> I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
> screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
> still did not appear on the screensaver list.
> I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
> just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
> I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
> in the right direction. Thanks.

Contact the manufacturer of the software and ask them for WinXP
installation instructions.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:11:19 PM

Beachcomber wrote:
> HI
> Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
> work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
> had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
> list.
> I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
> screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
> still did not appear on the screensaver list.
> I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
> just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
> I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
> in the right direction. Thanks.

Look here for tips and help:

Johnny Castaway Screen Saver Home page
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~gnudawn/johnny/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 9:11:19 PM

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:11:18 +0700, Beachcomber wrote:

> HI
> Hope someone can help me. How can I get the Johnny Castaway screensaver to
> work on XP Pro. I tried the "click to install" and got the message that it
> had installed but it did not appear on the desktop properties screensaver
> list.
> I next installed it manually in Windows System where all the other
> screensaver are kept but though it worked when I clicked on it there it
> still did not appear on the screensaver list.
> I know it's an old program but I like it and it does work on my system I
> just can't get it to work from the desktop properties.
> I'm not sure this is the right group, if not perhaps someone will point me
> in the right direction. Thanks.

I don't think this one is compatible to XP in a way that allows it to be
used with the Display> Screensaver page.

Workaround to try: If you add a shortcut to the screensaver in your startup
folder, it should load at startup and stay running in the background. If
all works out well, it will kick in when the system is idle.

If not, remove the shortcut from the startup folder and try plan b: place a
shortcut to the screensaver on the desktop or tucked into the start menu
somewhere. Using the shortcut's properties sheets, assign a keyboard
shortcut. Use the keyboard shortcut to manually launch the screensaver when
it's needed.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks for all your help, Frankly I didn't know if Johnny Castaway was 16 or
32 bit but have since followed the link to his homepage and there is some
good advice for me to try. Yes I did dump it in system 32 but that did not
work. It's gratifying to realize that I am not the only one that likes this
old but quaint screensaver. - thanks all again.
!