Will Go 7400 satisfy Windows Aero?

Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Hi there, i was just thinking of buying a new laptop, and it has a NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7400 graphics card. I have read that it says the card is Vista Capable on the nVidia site, but Microsoft says the minimum for "Windows Aero " interface in Vista Home Premium is 128MB of dedicated memory, and the GPU meets that, but usually minimum specs aren't that reliable. So i just wanted to get some advice and opinions. Thx. :roll:

redwing

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
It will do fine, it supports DX9c SM 3.0 as well.
Just dont expect to do any serious gaming on it (especially on Vista, the ressource hog).
You will be able to use Aero on it without problems.
When it comes to video cards, the OS is a lot less demanding than any modern game, so consider these "minimum" video requirements for Vista equivalent to "recommeded" requirements. Your Aero interface will not be much faster/prettier on a 8800GTX than it is on practically any last generation DX9 card.

Advent_Cloud

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
Oh ok, well i wasnt going to use it for hardcore gaming cause i knew it probably wouldnt work and it would drain the battery real fast. Thx for your advice.

mpjesse

Splendid
Those lower end ATI and nVidia cards run older games surprisingly well. I play Lego Star Wars on mine all the time... runs great. Also plays UT2004, HL2, and Doom 3 very well at lower resolutions.