Forward compatable motherboard for Older P4 2.6 processor

zomicon

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
Hi all,

I have been having a couple of issues with my system (system and I think it is time to replace the motherboard and graphics processor. I currently have an Asus P4P800, Radeon 9600, Pentum 4 2.6 CPU, and a 380 watt power supply.

I play the occasional game but mainly use the system for audio production and general office stuff so the CPU doesn't really seem to be a limiting factor for me, and I don't want to spend the money to upgrade right now. My question is, can I buy one of the newer motherboards targeted for the multi-core processors and still use my older P4 2.6 CPU? If so, any suggestions for a solid future proof board that won't cost an arm and a leg? Overclocking and having the fastest thing on the block are not really priorities for me.

Thanks,

K

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Sorry, your pretty much out of luck on an upgrade motherboard. The 478 P4 is on it's way out. If its any indication, newegg.com only carries 6 motherboards for the 478 P4. And no, the socket T is 775 pins, and will NOT work.
On the other hand, there are some pretty good deals out there right now. You could look for a mobo/cpu combo deal online. Some of the older AMD processors are selling for dirt cheap with a motherboard included for under $100. If your just looking for a small upgrade, this could be the way to go for you. Most of the Skt 939 AMD mobos have PCI express, so you have graphics upgradeability there. They also take DDR ram (as opposed to DDR2) so you can likely reuse your ram from your P4 build.

Best of luck.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Get a cheap Core 2 Duo mainboard like the Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 then slap an Intel Pentium D 805 (Dual Core Pentium 4 basically) on it.

When you have more cash install a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad in Q2/Q3 2007.

You may need new RAM and PSU though too.

Fry' electronics currently has the bare cpu e6300 core2 duo with ecs board for $159 (heatsink extra). The board will work with your ddram and agp video card. It's not the greatest, but the board is virtually free, and you can get a better board later when you want to complete your upgrade.