Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows xp mode in windows 7?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 19, 2009 9:08:55 PM

can anyone tell me more? i need a network card to work and driver support stopped at vista/7, if i run windows xp mode will i be able to get it to work? do i have the right idea?

More about : windows mode windows

a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2009 9:12:59 PM

No you will need a Windows 7 driver for the wireless card (or Vista driver will likely work). If no suitable driver is avalable from the card's product page web site, you will have to buy a new card that is supported in Windows 7 with an appropriate driver. Wireless cards are inexpensive for a mid level unit.

This card works great with Windows 7. Far above average unit and never drops a signal. I have 5/6 of them I use currently.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
November 19, 2009 9:16:27 PM

then what is the pt of windows xp mode?

and it is not about the cost, i have a perfectly good working network card, it just happens that there is no driver support anymore, why should it go to waste? it is just more garbage in the landfill
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2009 9:20:07 PM

Windows 7 will not operate a piece of hardware with an XP designed driver. You are out of luck and will have to buy a new $15-$50 wireless adapter. I have some I paid $9 for that work fine with Win 7. Try emailing the support desk of your card and ask if a Win 7/Vista driver is available if you have not checked the product page for updates.

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 19, 2009 9:24:36 PM

If you are talking about Windows Virtual PC, try googling for a download. Your Windows 7 version may allow a 'virtual XP machine' installation, but you would have to be using that XP installation to be connected with the wireless adapter you have.
m
l

Best solution

a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 19, 2009 11:04:15 PM

expxe said:
then what is the pt of windows xp mode?

and it is not about the cost, i have a perfectly good working network card, it just happens that there is no driver support anymore, why should it go to waste? it is just more garbage in the landfill

The point of XP Mode is to get old applications (especially 16 bit applications), not old hardware, working if they have problems under Windows 7.
!