Sign in with
Your question

Do those "gaming rigs" actually sell on ebay?

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
November 30, 2009 2:12:34 AM

I've been looking on ebay and those so called "Gaming rigs" are pretty sad. Most of them come with something lame like a nvidia 9400gt and they charge $900.00 for the system.

My question is, do people actually buy these computers?
Most of them don't come with an Operating system installed so that leads me to believe only people who are somewhat knowledgeable about computers will buy these. But would knowledgeable people pay $900 for a "gaming rig" with a 9400gt?

More about : gaming rigs sell ebay

November 30, 2009 3:46:36 PM

In this era of technology, there are a large amount of people who have just enough computer knowledge to get buy with acts such as that. I know many people who know nothing about products released in the last couple of years, but have easy access to operating system discs/downloads. There are also people who buy these who have no idea what they are doing, and don't realize they lack operating systems. General populous ignorance must always be taken into the equation when dealing with things such as this.
January 5, 2010 5:47:58 AM

Yes there are people that ignorant/gullible.

We had this one family come in to the repair shop I work at.

2.2 ghz single core, integrated graphics card, 2gbs of ram. Bootleg Windows Vista Ultimate (literally bootleg, with addon GUI). Client brought it in because Windows Vista Ultimate kept saying the validation of Windows failed and that he may be a victim of pirated software. This is a family did not speak English so they did not know what it said.
Then we asked them how much did you pay for it?
$1,000....

We had to sit them down and explain to them how they just ripped off a clean $1000 dollars.

We see customers come in with old computers (laptops with Pentium II, desktops with Pentium III saying they paid so many hundreds of dollars. Sometimes they come in needed to have Windows reinstalled, we just tell them straight up the computer is not worth the repair.
Related resources
February 5, 2010 3:52:25 PM

If I spent $1000, i would expect a quad core 2.8ghz, high end Asus board, 8gb ram, 1.5tb raid 0 mirroring, and dual SLI Nvidia cards, running Windows 7 64bit.

This is the official B4 Group Web Site!
We are a Managed IT company based in Tampa Florida.
http://www.b4group.us

Managed IT services & Computer & Network Management in Tampa Bay.
http://www.b4group.us
February 14, 2010 5:18:27 AM

jbucciseg said:
If I spent $1000, i would expect a quad core 2.8ghz, high end Asus board, 8gb ram, 1.5tb raid 0 mirroring, and dual SLI Nvidia cards, running Windows 7 64bit.

This is the official Symmetric Engineering Group blog page where we will blog to discuss IT issues and Stories.
We are a Managed IT company based in Tampa Florida.
http://blog.symmetricgroup.com

Managed IT services & Computer & Network Management in Tampa Bay.
http://www.symmetricgroup.com

Okay, not so sure if you get that in australia
April 16, 2010 4:27:26 PM

Man, love how cheap you guys must get *** in the US ... honestly I run a System building company and the lovely $1000 dollar you said... I think the components for puchase in the UK (with trade price discout) adds up to about $1200 if it was an intel core in it and in thinking at least GTX275 cards.. but really... thats putting in the cheaper side of components o.O
April 18, 2010 3:40:44 AM

yeah there will always be someone trying to make a buck from someone Else's lack of knowledge i regularly see old pc parts and pc's going sky high prices here like a 9600gt for $170 or a second hand 8800gtx for $200 even seen a pIII complete pc for $600 i just wanna bassh the seller in the head with a blunt object but in some cases its also buyer ignorance.
April 20, 2010 12:37:09 AM

try looking at old cars sometime. People want several thousand dollars for pieces of rust because of what they could become with years of work and tens of thousands of dollars put into them.
April 23, 2010 5:11:14 PM

RangerEx said:
Man, love how cheap you guys must get *** in the US ... honestly I run a System building company and the lovely $1000 dollar you said... I think the components for puchase in the UK (with trade price discout) adds up to about $1200 if it was an intel core in it and in thinking at least GTX275 cards.. but really... thats putting in the cheaper side of components o.O

eh. i think jbucciseg is being facetious- you'd be hard pressed to put together a quad-core rig with 6gb memory a middle-of-the-road mobo, and ONE decent graphics card with a single 1tb hdd for $1,000...

although his point is certainly valid- I'd want a hell of a lot more for my money than a lot of what I see for sale. Hell, Best Buy is selling all kinds of old junk in shiny cases at high prices.
!