install 'exe's to pocket pc

March 12, 2005 2:22:48 PM

I downloaded "Macromedia Flash Player 6 For Pocket PC 2003". I'm trying to
install this onto my Pocket PC.

I've tried to copy the 'exe' file to pocket pc and run it, but get message
"is not a valid pocket pc application".

ActiveSync 'exe' installation instructions say "You'll need to install the
appropriate software for your device on your desktop computer before
installing it on your device.".

Why should I install software for a Pocket PC onto my desktop first before
sync'ing to my Pocket PC? Does that mean every piece of software I want to
install onto my Pocket PC I have to install onto my desktop first? I would
imagine pocket pc software installs are different that desktop installs,
else why would they have install software for each (pocket pc vs desktop)?

Thanks!

More about : install exe pocket

Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:08:22 PM

david dewitt wrote:
> I downloaded "Macromedia Flash Player 6 For Pocket PC 2003". I'm
> trying to install this onto my Pocket PC.
>
> I've tried to copy the 'exe' file to pocket pc and run it, but get
> message "is not a valid pocket pc application".

I guess you haven't installed much software on your Pocket PC. The exe you
downloaded is an installer meant to be run on your desktop - when you run
it, it will install the software to your Pocket PC immediately or on the
next sync if the device is not connected. This is the standard way that most
Pocket PC software gets installed.

> Why should I install software for a Pocket PC onto my desktop first
> before sync'ing to my Pocket PC? Does that mean every piece of
> software I want to install onto my Pocket PC I have to install onto
> my desktop first? I would imagine pocket pc software installs are
> different that desktop installs, else why would they have install
> software for each (pocket pc vs desktop)?
You're not actually installing the program on your desktop, but ActiveStink
typically keeps a copy of the installation on your desktop machine so that
you can subsequently uninstall/resinstall it with the "Add/Remove Programs"
function, without having to keep track of the original installer.

Tony
March 12, 2005 10:42:42 PM

"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
| david dewitt wrote:
| > I downloaded "Macromedia Flash Player 6 For Pocket PC 2003". I'm
| > trying to install this onto my Pocket PC.
| >
| > I've tried to copy the 'exe' file to pocket pc and run it, but get
| > message "is not a valid pocket pc application".
| >
| I guess you haven't installed much software on your Pocket PC. The
exe you
| downloaded is an installer meant to be run on your desktop - when you
run
| it, it will install the software to your Pocket PC immediately or on
the
| next sync if the device is not connected. This is the standard way
that most
| Pocket PC software gets installed.
|
| > Why should I install software for a Pocket PC onto my desktop first
| > before sync'ing to my Pocket PC? Does that mean every piece of
| > software I want to install onto my Pocket PC I have to install onto
| > my desktop first? I would imagine pocket pc software installs are
| > different that desktop installs, else why would they have install
| > software for each (pocket pc vs desktop)?
| You're not actually installing the program on your desktop, but
ActiveStink
| typically keeps a copy of the installation on your desktop machine so
that
| you can subsequently uninstall/resinstall it with the "Add/Remove
Programs"
| function, without having to keep track of the original installer.
|
| Tony

In addition there are other ways of installing, but this is set by the
writers. If you are unhappy with the way they do it then tell them. But
you can't just change it yourself.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:49:35 AM

I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my desktop PC.
Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone PocketPC is not
possible?
It seems odd that you would neet to purchase a desktop unit just to use a
handheld one.

"alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 0vn2k$vl9$3@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
> | david dewitt wrote:
> | > I downloaded "Macromedia Flash Player 6 For Pocket PC 2003". I'm
> | > trying to install this onto my Pocket PC.
> | >
> | > I've tried to copy the 'exe' file to pocket pc and run it, but get
> | > message "is not a valid pocket pc application".
> | >
> | I guess you haven't installed much software on your Pocket PC. The
> exe you
> | downloaded is an installer meant to be run on your desktop - when you
> run
> | it, it will install the software to your Pocket PC immediately or on
> the
> | next sync if the device is not connected. This is the standard way
> that most
> | Pocket PC software gets installed.
> |
> | > Why should I install software for a Pocket PC onto my desktop first
> | > before sync'ing to my Pocket PC? Does that mean every piece of
> | > software I want to install onto my Pocket PC I have to install onto
> | > my desktop first? I would imagine pocket pc software installs are
> | > different that desktop installs, else why would they have install
> | > software for each (pocket pc vs desktop)?
> | You're not actually installing the program on your desktop, but
> ActiveStink
> | typically keeps a copy of the installation on your desktop machine so
> that
> | you can subsequently uninstall/resinstall it with the "Add/Remove
> Programs"
> | function, without having to keep track of the original installer.
> |
> | Tony
> |

> In addition there are other ways of installing, but this is set by the
> writers. If you are unhappy with the way they do it then tell them. But
> you can't just change it yourself.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:26:07 AM

darkrats astonished the world with this remark:

> I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my desktop
PC.
> Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone PocketPC is not
> possible?

that's correct.

--

SoftSpot
softspot_ihatespam_brugge@hotmail.com

(just remove the spamstatement
and one underscore
to respond personally,
but please keep it friendly,
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:11:11 PM

darkrats wrote:
> I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my
> desktop PC. Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone
> PocketPC is not possible?

Some programs are packaged in such a way as to be installable directly on
the PPC, but the majority are not. As alan smith said, it's up to the
application developer, but most follow the desktop install route. This
allows them to, for example, install different files dependant on the type
of PPC device from a single installer etc etc.

> It seems odd that you would neet to purchase a desktop unit just to
> use a handheld one.

Perhaps unfortunately Pocket PCs are intended as "companion" devices, and it
is assumed that you will have a full desktop or laptop as well as a pocket
device. Pocket PCs have limitations which justify that though, for example
even now the best PPC browsers can't access 100% of websites correctly, so
you might e.g. find it difficult or impossible to purchase software, ebooks
etc from some places without a desktop browser. Also PPCs are vulnerable to
losing their entire contents due to a flat battery, backing up to your
desktop is your protection against that (and against losing or dropping the
device).

Tony
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:32:37 PM

I install virtually all of my pocketpc applications directly to the
pocketpc using cab files directly or using a ppc "cab installer"

In your case, the biggest issue will be that it will be necessary to use
a pc to "extract" the cab files from the installation package using
either winzip or running the install and finding the files generated by
the install and copying them manually to the ppc.

There are a handful of ppc apps (such as adobe reader) that install
componets on the pc that are necessary for functionality or install in
such a manner that copying cab files will not result in a working ppc app.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:50:16 PM

| darkrats wrote:
| > I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my
| > desktop PC. Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone
| > PocketPC is not possible?
| >
| Some programs are packaged in such a way as to be installable
directly on
| the PPC, but the majority are not. As alan smith said, it's up to the
| application developer, but most follow the desktop install route.
This
| allows them to, for example, install different files dependant on the
type
| of PPC device from a single installer etc etc.
|
| > It seems odd that you would neet to purchase a desktop unit just to
| > use a handheld one.
| >
| Perhaps unfortunately Pocket PCs are intended as "companion" devices,
and it
| is assumed that you will have a full desktop or laptop as well as a
pocket
| device. Pocket PCs have limitations which justify that though, for
example
| even now the best PPC browsers can't access 100% of websites
correctly, so
| you might e.g. find it difficult or impossible to purchase software,
ebooks
| etc from some places without a desktop browser. Also PPCs are
vulnerable to
| losing their entire contents due to a flat battery, backing up to
your
| desktop is your protection against that (and against losing or
dropping the
| device).
|
| Tony

and printing isn't straight forward if you will need to .....

Since it is the only machine there is likely to be personal and
critical information. It may be safer to password protect it.
I'd also say needed is a backup program/strategy and a memory card. But
bear in mind that if the machine is lost or stolen all of your data
goes with it unless you remove the memory card and keep it somewhere
away from your machine. And some strategy or ability on how to recover
that data if it is needed again. Thinking about that and finding a
working solution may be more difficult a year or two down the line, and
you may be under time pressure ...........
March 13, 2005 2:56:49 PM

This works ok http://www.filerecoverytools.com/

John

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o fBL1E6JFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my desktop PC.
> Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone PocketPC is not
> possible?
> It seems odd that you would neet to purchase a desktop unit just to use a
> handheld one.
>

> "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 0vn2k$vl9$3@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>>
>> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message

>> | I guess you haven't installed much software on your Pocket PC. The
>> exe you
>> | downloaded is an installer meant to be run on your desktop - when you
>> run
>> | it, it will install the software to your Pocket PC immediately or on
>> the
>> | next sync if the device is not connected. This is the standard way
>> that most
>> | Pocket PC software gets installed.

>> | You're not actually installing the program on your desktop, but
>> ActiveStink
>> | typically keeps a copy of the installation on your desktop machine so
>> that
>> | you can subsequently uninstall/resinstall it with the "Add/Remove
>> Programs"
>> | function, without having to keep track of the original installer.
>> |
>> | Tony
>> |

>> In addition there are other ways of installing, but this is set by the
>> writers. If you are unhappy with the way they do it then tell them. But
>> you can't just change it yourself.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:10:44 PM

How does that install programs onto a memory card- it seems to say
recovery if they get lost/damaged. They need to be installed before
that can happen.

"John" <spam@spamvirgin.net> wrote in message
| This works ok http://www.filerecoverytools.com/
|
| John
|

| "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| news:o fBL1E6JFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| >I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my
desktop PC.
| > Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone PocketPC is
not
| > possible?
| > It seems odd that you would neet to purchase a desktop unit just to
use a
| > handheld one.
| >

| > "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
| > news:D 0vn2k$vl9$3@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
| >>
| >> "Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message
I'm

The
| >> exe you
| >> run
| >> the
| >> that most
| >> |
| >> ActiveStink
| >> that
| >> Programs"
installer.
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

| >> In addition there are other ways of installing, but this is set by
the
| >> writers. If you are unhappy with the way they do it then tell
them. But
| >> you can't just change it yourself.

Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:10:45 PM

Almost all all apps can be installed on memory cards and run without
problems... there may be a glitch if you attempt to launch the shortcut
without the card in place or if you attempt to remove the card while the
program is running.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:33:31 PM

Often you do need to use a PC to install software but this is not always
the case. For example the group at Mobile Crossing have a pocket pc and
specifically intend it to be used without a PC. While they cannot
guarantee that all things you might want to do can be done without a pc
they will make it such that anything that needs support from the company
will be done without needing a pc.

Check http://www.mobilecrossing.com

Note that I am a consultant working with this company. They make a
navigation solution built into a custom pocket pc.

Dale

darkrats wrote:

> I was thinking of getting a PocketPC device, and NOT keeping my desktop PC.
> Are you saying that installing programs on a standalone PocketPC is not
> possible?
> It seems odd that you would neet to purchase a desktop unit just to use a
> handheld one.
>

> "alan smith" <alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 0vn2k$vl9$3@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
>>"Tony A." <what@where.why.com> wrote in message

>>| I guess you haven't installed much software on your Pocket PC. The
>>exe you
>>| downloaded is an installer meant to be run on your desktop - when you
>>run
>>| it, it will install the software to your Pocket PC immediately or on
>>the
>>| next sync if the device is not connected. This is the standard way
>>that most
>>| Pocket PC software gets installed.

>>| You're not actually installing the program on your desktop, but
>>ActiveStink
>>| typically keeps a copy of the installation on your desktop machine so
>>that
>>| you can subsequently uninstall/resinstall it with the "Add/Remove
>>Programs"
>>| function, without having to keep track of the original installer.
>>|
>>| Tony
>>|

>>In addition there are other ways of installing, but this is set by the
>>writers. If you are unhappy with the way they do it then tell them. But
>>you can't just change it yourself.

--
_ _ Dale DePriest
/`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

You are missing the point. If the mechanism for install is via the PC
then with no PC you can't install to the memory card.

message news:uhWX4L$JFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| Almost all all apps can be installed on memory cards and run without
| problems... there may be a glitch if you attempt to launch the
shortcut
| without the card in place or if you attempt to remove the card while
the
| program is running.
|
| Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:52:35 AM

>> You are missing the point. If the mechanism for install is via the PC
then with no PC you can't install to the memory card. <<

Don't believe I have missed the point.

Using a cab installer, it is easier and a more reliable method to
install to any memory card, other storage location or specific folder
than it is using activesync.

The _only_ point of not having an activesync connection is the potential
problem of finding or extracting the cab files but there are a number of
options... including friends.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!