Speakers

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I have an Audigy 2 platinum pro sound card.
I am looking for a set of new speakers within range for $300, well I tried the Logitech z-5500 speakers, but dont like them.. bass is too strong and no need for all that power.

So i find this M-Audio Pro Studio anyone have experience with this company or have any other suggestion?

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
Hi pricyber,

I got myself a pair of M-Audio Studio Pro 4 speakers (2 channel, no sub). They were CAN$199, and I've had a good experience with them. The speakers aren't typical computer speakers, as they are really small bookshelf speakers with an amp built in. They don't sound as good as my floor-standing Axiom's on my home stereo, but what do you expect? The sound is natural, and not at all boomy, if that's been a problem for you.

Cheers

pricyber

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
thank. so for that speaker all i need is a adapter cable for the sound card and the speaker.. the build in amp should take care of it?

HotFoot

Distinguished
May 26, 2004
The speaker package comes with everything you need: two speakers, the earphone-to-RCA cable, power cable, and speaker cable for running to the second speaker. Pretty standard.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Those speakers are pretty far removed from those Logitech units you mentioned.

Those are active monitors designed for project studios, which may not be the best thing if you want to game. If you want them for listening to music, then they'll do the job well, however if you want them as monitors then perhaps consider spending a bit more to get something great sounding but quite transparent.

M-Audio make good quality gear so I wouldn't worry there.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
If you want flat-sounding audio, those M-Audio monitors area great. I've heard them and they are amazing bang for the buck.

If you are looking for other monitors, you might want to check out Yamaha:

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/List/ModelSeriesList/0,,CTID%253D560744%2526CNTYP%253DPRODUCT,00.html

My brother uses a pair of their monitors (MSP3 I believe) for his recording studio and they sound great. Once again, very flat though, so possibly not the best for playback.

I think Yamaha said it best with this:
The last thing an audio professional needs is flattering sound. They need the truth – precise reproduction that clearly reflects even the tiniest changes in EQ, dynamics, effects, or any of the multitude of parameters that add up to create the final sound. Thus, unlike many home-use systems that can simply be made to sound "good," reference monitors have to sound "right," and that's an entirely different story. Here's where inspired design, uncompromising material selection, innovative technology, micron-tolerance manufacturing, and a good dose of one elusive skill that only comes through long experience – knowing what "right sound" sounds like - become vitally important. The MSP10 STUDIO design team, headed by Akira Nakamura, designer of the original NS10M, has all the necessary skills, resources, and dedication. And with development assistance and feedback from industry luminaries, the Yamaha MSP10 STUDIO delivers performance you can bet your career on.

Anyway, if that's what you're looking for, go for it :).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I have them as well... did you get the Monster Cable pack? It's worth the money IMO but some people might not notice the difference.

Oh, and I'm all about the M-Audio Revolution 5.1 or Audiophile. They use high-quality DAC so they are the best around for music-listening (though not as good for gaming). Plus, they don't have annoying drivers like Creative (I don't trust a company that used to be known for putting spyware in their drivers).

drifter_888

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
They are expensive and I don't own a pair .... yet. But the sound from the Bose 5 are very impressive for a 2.1 system. You might want to look into them. they sounded very convincing in the store but I have never heard a properly mounted 5.1 or 7.1 system yet either.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I personally hate Bose... it's exaggerated highs/lows and weak mids. But, speakers are one of those things where personal preference comes in to play big time. So, if you like the Bose sound and it works for you, roll with it. :D

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I've owned mine for ~6 months with no problems at all. I have read about the blowing amps as well, but didn't care because they are sweet for the price. So, I decided to go with them and I'm glad I did because I have had no problems whatsoever.

That being said, since the M-Audio's are pushing less power, they are probably a bit safer. I think the problem with Klipsch amps blowing might be related to the small size of the speakers/amp which doesn't give enough heat dissipation (that's just a theory). But, they have been around for a while and know what they are doing, so I don't know if those claims are even legit. Hard to tell. :D

gharder

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Umm, if the Z-5500s had too much bass (which can be turned down) and too much power for you, then why are you still looking to spend the same amount of money? I'll sell you a $50 pair of speakers for around $300 if you really want. lol.
Stay away from Creative speakers and you'll be fine, they make good sound cards and everything else, but the speakers' controls fluctuate without touching them on just about any set with external controls.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I am looking for a set of new speakers within range for $300, well I tried the Logitech z-5500 speakers, but dont like them.. bass is too strong and no need for all that power.

So i find this M-Audio Pro Studio anyone have experience with this company or have any other suggestion?

Bose have got some multimedia speakers for $249 that seem really cool.
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=companion3_computer_index&ck=0

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Umm, if the Z-5500s had too much bass (which can be turned down) and too much power for you, then why are you still looking to spend the same amount of money? I'll sell you a $50 pair of speakers for around $300 if you really want. lol.
Stay away from Creative speakers and you'll be fine, they make good sound cards and everything else, but the speakers' controls fluctuate without touching them on just about any set with external controls.

1. You responded to me in error I believe.
2. He's not spending the same amount of money.
3. How do you figure that the M-Audio's value is around $50? They are geared towards accurate audio reproduction, not booming bass.
4. Actually, Creative doesn't really make good sound cards for audiophiles.
5. If you had speakers with fluctuating controls, I'm sure it wasn't an issue with all Creative speakers.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Bose have got some multimedia speakers for $249 that seem really cool.
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=companion3_computer_index&ck=0
I've heard those and they are the same as all Bose speakers. Heavy low/high, no mid. They are OK if you like that sound (I don't like that sound) but bad for audio reproduction (which I think the OP is looking for).

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have my Klipsch 2.1 ProMedia for about a while now and still works just like new. I used the speakers on low to medium and never crank out the volume to the max, that way I don't blow out anything.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005

Quality vs Quantity my friend.

$1000 subs will play from 15-100hz flat +/- 2db up to something like 110db. (Comparatively there are $200 subs that will do 28-80hz +/- 3db at 110db).

The Logitech sub turned up will give you 130+db at 40hz...but at 20hz it'll be down something like -60db, and at 90hz it'll be at something like +10db It's got the accuracy of a flying trash can. Listening to the garbage truck in the morning is also a great source of "boomy bass." Unfortunately, that isn't quite the same bass that's on the music track. It's like playing a recording of a fart to represent a groan.

More money does not = just more noise, just like there's a reason BMW engines are considered masterpieces (even powerband for most gears) compared to some 500hp engine that has crazy torque at gear 1 and then dissapears entirely when you are in 3rd gear. It takes a lot of high quality parts to sustain the stress of consistent performance at widely different conditions rather than that truck engine that's only designed to get the truck moving, and after that, it's 10mph. It's not very hard to make something go "boom" at a certain frequency and get some reverberating echo to stand in for everything else.