Updated Build some, mainly power supply. A couple questions

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Building a new PC for gaming and to learn some of the new technology out there.

Here it is:

Case: Xcilio A380
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811103008

Power Supply: Corsair HX Series CMP SU-620HX 620W
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373110

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair
http://www.directron.com/crosshair.html

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
http://www.directron.com/ada4200cubox.html

*Video Card: Geforce 7900gs

Ram: Corsair XMS2 2gigs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145034

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145168

(I'm not sure what the difference is. Better cooling on the second one?)

Raid 5 with 3+ hard drives

I changed out the power supply to this new one. I think it will be more quiet at the very least and more power.

Basically my two questions now are:

1. I think this build will be a low noice build and do you think the AMD stock fan will be making the most noise? If so where you do think I should look?

2. The Crosshair motherboard goes up to 1000 fsb, this ram is only 800. Do you think I will be able to overclock either of these two, too 1000?

Thanks for all the answers.

Side topic, I have the chance to run this on Vista, I would think/hope this would run it perfect, am I right or wrong?

The Corsair PSU is fairly new in the market but is made by Seasonic which has a great reputation. The couple reviews I've seen of the Corsair PSU have been positive.

(1)Video card should be the loudest item in your new system - when gaming. Next loudest would be the stock AMD HSF. You could always get an aftermarket HSF - they're usually quieter and better at cooling.

(2) The Crosshair motherboard WILL run at 1000FSB as soon as you run the AMD 4200+. Thats the normal bus speed for that CPU and MB combo. The 800Mhz DDR2 RAM will run at a 4:5 RAM/FSB ratio without any overclocking.

Your system will have plenty of power to run Vista. If all the necessart hardware drivers are problem free and optimized for Vista you shouldn't have any problems.

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Ya, when gaming the video card being the loudest and the PSU getting louder might be expected, I am more worried about when it isn't being stressed much. For example just playing a DVD.

Do you think going another route on the stock HSF will make that much of a difference for the price? Or will it more or less just look pretty but still have same noise as current one? Also will that void any warrenties if I don't use AMD's fan?

In regards to the motherboard. If I understand you correctly you are saying, the CPU/Motherboard will run at 1000FSB, and the RAM will run at it's rated 800FSB or 4:5 ratio without overclocking. I think I am missing something with what you typed becuase I would assume that, seeing that is what it's specs are.

Last if anyone knows what the difference between the two types of Corsair are or if I can get that from 800 to 1000 with overclocking would be much much appriciated.

Look forward to a follow up reply from ya WR2 if you get a chance.

Thanks.

At stock speeds the AMD stock HSF works really well and is actually pretty quiet. You might not hear the HSF running unless the PC is really close to where you sit, especially if the case fans aren't decent ones. I'm just guessing that a case built to look like that one doesnt have a quiet running environment at the top of its list. I just don't know enough about that case to judge how well it will contain sounds when compared to a cases like the Antec P-180 that is designed to be a quiet case.
I think I am missing something with what you typed becuase I would assume that, seeing that is what it's specs are.
Based on your comment in the first post "The Crosshair motherboard goes up to 1000 fsb, this ram is only 800. Do you think I will be able to overclock either of these two, too 1000?" you left me with the impression you didn't know the stock FSB was 1000. I thought you were thinking you'd "overclock either of these two, too 1000?", two being the FSB and the 800 RAM. Im guessing now you were talking about the two being the two different RAM choice.

CrystalShip

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I have read at least 5 reviews on this case and then read what newegg people had to say about it and although it isn't a full tower I am impressed with it and think I might like this one more. The big reason for me is that the other has the 25cm fans which I like a lot but not sure where I could get a replacement if needed, and this one is made to be quiet. Thanks for pointing me in an alternative direction.

I think I will look into getting another 120 fan for the front and the 80 for the video card. Do you think that would be a good idea?

Also not sure if anyone has the answers to these questions:

Will using a different HSF for my AMD void any warranties?

If anyone knows what the difference between the two types of Corsair are or if I can get that from 800 to 1000 with overclocking would be much much appriciated.

Last, should I have any problems doing SLI with this setup in the future? I would think 620w would be enough.

Thanks WR2 again and any more help from you or anyone else would be much appriciated.

If you have done your research and are happy with the case thats really all you need to say. With 2 250mm fans in the stock config I'd say its safe to hold off getting any more fans till you have the system up and running and can judge if it needs any more cooling.

An aftermarket HSF will not void the AMD warranty. Again - this is one area you can upgrade later if you're not happy with the stock HSF.

That Corsair PSU easily meets the requirements to SLI two 7900GS video cards that need 500watts and 28amps of 12 volt power. And its good for 8800GTX future upgrade as well if you go that route instead of SLI.

Visit the Corsair website to try and find out the differences in those RAM modules.